IRO Cycles- Mtbr.com

Thread: IRO Cycles

What day are we riding?

IRO Cycles

Just went to Iro's website and read that Tony's oldest son passed away on the 30th. Does anyone know if there is anything that we as a cycling community can do to help out?

Steamroller

Pray for the family...........

Quote Originally Posted by Rockin
    Just went to Iro's website and read that Tony's oldest son passed away on the 30th. Does anyone know if there is anything that we as a cycling community can do to help out?
    I just went to the website and learned of this also, I was going to post something but, found this thread. At the very least we can pray for him and his family, I am. I have not met Tony or Carrie personally though I have quite a bit a business with him and talked with him and Carrie many times by phone. My impression is that they are great people and I'm very sorry for the loss. I'll be sending flowers or some appropriate gift when I decide what seems best.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

Sofa King We Todd Did
    My two cents on this would be to handle this matter very delicately. Sometimes, our eagerness gets the better of us, and if the family are a rather private sort, they might not appreciate unwarranted attention or any sort of hubbub from this so-called 'cycling community'. Best bet is to have someone who knows them personally - Mattman? - talk to them, get a sense of what's going on before we 'try and do something for them'.

mtbr member
    i just posted a thread about it on the dirt rag forums last night. my prayers are definately out there for tonys family and friends.
    Simple Living, High Thinking

Recovering couch patato
    Oh, that's sad...

I'm with SpinWheelz. If it were me, one card on behalf of a forum would be well enough. That's just me, some others can't receive too many sympathies. If my SO was an avid an well-known rider herself personally known by many on forums, it might be different for me.
    I don't pray, but my thoughts go out to Tony and his family.

Steamroller

I e-mailed and called

Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    .................... Best bet is to have someone who knows them personally - Mattman? - talk to them, get a sense of what's going on before we 'try and do something for them.
    I called and just got a message. I e-mailed letting them know there were folks who wonder what we can do to help, asking if there was any fund set up for expenses or a charity to which donations could be sent in his son's honor. If Tony or Carrie get back to me with thoughts on this, I'll post it here to this thread.

I wanted to make sure I did something personally so, I went ahead and sent some cash saying simply use it as needed. IROs website has the physical address and email address if any of you want to do something individually. http://www.irocycle.com/
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

Recovering couch patato
    I'm amazed how thoughtful you guys are! Europeans certainly like talking down on "Yanks" and their customs/behaviour, but I've never met anyone that just sent cash in such a case. How different cultures can get while you understand the same language and ride the same bikes...
    Worse places to work than the USA cycling bizz when the going gets tough, it seems. Over here, you're just on your own.

Sofa King We Todd Did
    This morning, I dropped an e-mail to Tony and family along the lines of "You don't know me, but I know IRO and am a cyclist in the NYC area and heard about your son and I'm really sorry for your loss."

Steamroller

Tony's reply

I just checked my email and got the following reply from Tony.........
    "Matt, If you can pass the word to hug your children or hug someone who has any place in your heart . Would be the word I would like to pass. "

That's a pretty straight forward request, I think we should all do our best to honor it.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

Members who have read this thread: 0