mtbr member

Interesting proposal: biopace for ss?

Hey, remember good ol' biopace? Well people used to believe that it did make your pedal stroke more efficient, ya just couldn't shift for sh$$. You can see where I'm going here! Why not use it for singlespeeds? Anyone have some old biopace rings? What ya think?
    -t

Birdman aka JMJ

You'll need a tensioner

Quote Originally Posted by toad
    Hey, remember good ol' biopace? Well people used to believe that it did make your pedal stroke more efficient, ya just couldn't shift for sh$$. You can see where I'm going here! Why not use it for singlespeeds? Anyone have some old biopace rings? What ya think?
    -t
    Might be interesting to try on a bike that already has a tensioner.

JMJ

34N 118W

from the 'old' boards

here's a thread from "club", our resident retro-grouch on the old mtbr boards re: Biopace. Anyone hear from him? New alias?

http://forums13.consumerreview.com/c...h.2@.efd05a0/3

-t

Its too warm here....

Tension

You could only run a biopace ring on something that had a tensioner. The differing "effective" chainring sizes would make the chain go loose, then tight, then loose, etc.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick." T.R. Roosevelt

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    Look what Sheldon Brown has to say:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/biopace.html

surlysoul
    I have used biopace on single speeds before it looks goofy but causes no problem you do not need a tensionser or at least not any different than a single speed without biopace sheldon browns article explains it better but your chain wrap is the same.

Contrarian
    The differing "effective" chainring sizes would make the chain go loose, then tight, then loose, etc.

It doesn't matter in practice - the chain's aways around slightly more than half of the chainring.

Steamroller

Save your knees

I once bought a road bike that had biopace rings and was told they are very hard on the knees and to replace them right away. ( I still have them if someone wants them) SS is known to be a bit hard on the knees. Seems like the two combined would be a real risky proposition, but then knees are replaceable now, like a bike part. The only problem is if you replace them more than once you loose significant height each time.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    -t
    The problem with Biopace is that it only works over a narrow RPM range, around 80 rpm, IIRC. With only one gear, your cadence is all over the place, so it might not help much. I recall Biopace rings starting to feel wierd at the 90ish rpm that I use when cruising on my road bike.

Try it, you might like it. I have a good friend who loves Biopace. He's a bigger-gear guy than me. Faster, too, but we like riding together anyway.

--Shannon

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Ovality

The ovality thing is interesting and it's been around for a lot longer than Biopace it's been used on the track on and off for years although not so much in recent times.

In essence the biggest ovality you can use with a singlespeed and have acceptable tension is around 7%.

There's a guy in wales Chris Bell of Eggrings fame who made mine for me who custom cnc machines these rings and depending on the crank used he can include the spider fitting as well so you get the whole lot in one go.

Potentially on a singlespeed it seems like a great idea although I have'nt tried mine yet as I'll admit to being a total bike tart and only wanting to use it in the summer when the weather's nice. potentially it should give you a higher gear through the power stroke and a faster movement through the dead spot (I know that's the same claim as Biopace but Chris reckons he's got the orientation spot on).

In essence it should be a bit like rotor cranks or the swiss version of these.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattman
    I once bought a road bike that had biopace rings and was told they are very hard on the knees and to replace them right away. ( I still have them if someone wants them) SS is known to be a bit hard on the knees. Seems like the two combined would be a real risky proposition, but then knees are replaceable now, like a bike part. The only problem is if you replace them more than once you loose significant height each time.

Myth,not true s/s saved my knee's... Thats the old excuse for not S/S'ing does not really apply ,, My knee's were shot and I started single/speeding again a few years ago when this latest trend started,,, my 1/2 of a hundred knee/s feel 16 again--JJ

I heart bikes
    Jan 2004

Dont you mean...?

I never have been a big fan of "Bio-waste". I dont think you can teach old dogs new tricks in this case....

Members who have read this thread: 0