Interesting experiences: Dean/Ionic, Jericho- Mtbr.com
    "Mr. Britannica"

Interesting experiences: Dean/Ionic, Jericho

Both apparently have excellent products. Dean/Ionic is famously slow and apparently has had some issues but still delivers in the end, and people are all over 'em. Jericho apparently doesn't answer the phone or reply to emails, yet some people are willing to hold out and hope they turn it around. Are these scenarios similar? Different? How so? Discuss.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

... and if we just ... Reasons for buying from a particular builder are...

manyfold...... like the image, product is unique,quirky looks,co. ethos etc. - all of these things are way more important when buying from the lil' guy.

Me, I'm an IF boy, big bucks, but always answer e-mail, frames are always delivered within estimated delivery time, and if not, have been notified why and when they will supply. ALL enquires are answered.

The interesting thing is that this repeat business started as a result of a very small transaction several years ago, They sold me a 29.4 Syncros seatpost shipped to Europe for a FAT YO several years ago when nobody else could supply. (little things mean a lot(to me)). They have a 'Can do - Will do' kind of attitude, which is cool......

Moderator Moderator

Yup, no shiiiit.

Quote Originally Posted by roadiegonebad
    Both apparently have excellent products. Dean/Ionic is famously slow and apparently has had some issues but still delivers in the end, and people are all over 'em. Jericho apparently doesn't answer the phone or reply to emails, yet some people are willing to hold out and hope they turn it around. Are these scenarios similar? Different? How so? Discuss.
    Wow...I was just wondering the same thing reading the "Jericho" post and seeing people diss Dean/Ionic a few days ago.

I ordered a Dean 29"er SS on November 22nd. Was told 4-6 weeks. Mid Dec. PEte calls to say he just cut/mitered the tubes and production was under way. Called back the first week of January and Pete said it was "At Paint." Called Pete 2 weeks later and he said it was still at paint. Called Pete first of Feb. and he was super apologetic and it was out of his hands and at Spectrum where they do a super high volume of bike frames and were obviously way behind. Bike arrived February 11, free frieght. It has got the sickest pink powdercoat from Spectrum i've ever seen...well worth the wait. Pete was totally honest and up front the whole time. He returned my voicemails within 4 hours every time I called.

I can't be more happy even if it did take 12+ weeks. Dean was very professional with me and I am psyched to ride the SWEET custom 29"er disk ebb SS they built me. The best part...it was dirt cheap - I stripped a Surly Karate monkey fork - dremelled off the canti bosses- shipped it to dean and had it powdered by spectrum to match the frame. Dean took my fork and Pete said "sure thing, no problem."

Why and how Dean gets badmouthed for wait times while a company takes a siesta for 2 months and leaves zero contact or "please be patient in this growing period" is not good for their reputation. At least Dean returns calls and even calls you to give a heads up that your tubes are "being cut and Mitered" so you get a heads up. Everyone has their growing pains and different stories. I was all set to but a Jericho suffering 3 weeks ago but I haven't gotten a call or email back and I don't expect to. I've given up and chosen another chainring route...so that is $79 less on the books for Jericho for 2004. Sad, especially for such an easy sale. Sorry, enough rambling...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good question !

In one case the company (Dean) already had the guy's money. Then they failed repeatedly to deliver the product on the promised date.

I don't see how that equates to a company being "temporarily" out of business, which Jericho's web site leads me to believe.

Just my opinion - for the record I have no problems personally with either of these fine frame builders.

Later
    T
    Last edited by (Tom); 02-19-2004 at 03:09 PM. Reason: typo

Moderator Moderator
    What custom builders "deliver the product on the promised date."

Not many, at least in all my customs from numerous companies....

ali'i hua
    Quote Originally Posted by 2melow

I was discussing this with a small builder and he mentioned that the consumer needs to be less flexible with the smaller framebuilder and expect frames on the due date.(leaving names out for obvious reasons)

I had this issue with dean, but called them daily and was nice about it, and my frame was only an extra 2-3 weeks overdue.

Witty McWitterson
    My Hunter took longer than anticipated too(but not too much longer). When ordering custom from a small guy, I fully anticipate that its gonna take longer than he says it will. I mean this is an artist at work, I'm not into rushing it. I'd be able to accept dealing with Dean since there was contact and such, but Jericho? No way. Yeah the bikes are pretty cool, but not the communication part.

Recovering Weight Weenie

Nice try, Hugh got his new Seven on the exact DAY promised. He was not given a time frame, but an exact day. Bike was delivered promptly. So, there's at least one builder who can deliver on time.

My post is that way --->
    Jan 2004

I got my first Edge Cycles frame a couple of days late, and my second one right on time (even including a slight delay at Spectrum). Admittedly both times they knew I was coming a long way, but they delivered.

Ironically I chose the Edge after hearing nada from Jericho who's frames were very similar. So the choice between the two was made easier for me. I guess IF are pretty reliable too.
    Last edited by scorcher seb; 02-19-2004 at 04:04 PM.
    Wibble

Moderator Moderator
    Yea, I got my IF 29"er (geared) in 11 days. But that is very rare. Most builders - especially with fewer employees don't have as much cushion as the bigger ones.

Mashers Only!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Nice try, Hugh got his new Seven on the exact DAY promised. He was not given a time frame, but an exact day. Bike was delivered promptly. So, there's at least one builder who can deliver on time.
    Don't forget Molly!! Her Seven came by the due date!! Thats just how they are!!
    My Jericho was 9 weeks past the 8 week due day. Still a rockin bike though. Would I order another one????? Probably not. I just would not wan't to deal with it. Mine needs warranty work, think I'm ever going to send it to them??

HUGH

cut like the fog.
    With all the needless crap that involves every custom frame builder...

I would be bummed but satisfied with...."Sorry dude, I'm swamped and I haven't gotten to yours yet. Trust me, I will, but I just need some more time".

Vocabulary such as:

"at paint"
    "just getting ready to weld"
    "waiting for tubing"

All that really equates to "I don't know either buddy but here's my lame-ass excuse".

That all said, I wouldn't get rid of my Jericho for anything. I've only been through the custom frame experience with two builders, Jericho twice and Steelman once. My jericho, as I've said before is the absolute finest piece of steel I've ever thrown a leg over. Would I go through the Jericho experience again? Probably because as much as Josh has trouble on the customer end, his bike are without comparison. He's a great guy too, and yes, that does have something to do with it. He doesn't flat out lie to you such as guys like Steelman. I wouldn't buy a frame from that guy if I had to.

So, if you can get a hold of a frame builder, like Josh or any others, buy a frame but be proactive and look forward to getting it and loving it...next season.

b.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

my experience with Sycip

Just wanted those to know my experience with Sycip was excellent. I am not even the original owner of a frame I picked up from a Sycip factory racer on the marketplace. They treated me like I had bought the frame from day one. They repainted, redecaled and was able to talk to Jay about color schemes. The turn around to to the work was about 3 weeks with great communication. Once my own business takes off I am going to buy another Sycip.
    Kudos to those guys!! Nuf said.

Yea, I got my IF 29"er (geared) in 11 days. But that is very rare. Most builders - especially with fewer employees don't have as much cushion as the bigger ones.
    My IF came in on time as well - about 6 weeks after I put the order in.

KgB
    SNGLSPD

communication

With any business people just want to know what's going on.Once people start getting the feeling that you are dodging them or lying it's all over.
    It doesn't matter what business you're in,you can't treat people like crap.Word of mouth is everything and Jericho is taking a major hit right now.
    I've been inside too long.

SS Chimp
    Why and how Dean gets badmouthed for wait times while a company takes a siesta for 2 months and leaves zero contact or "please be patient in this growing period" is not good for their reputation. At least Dean returns calls and even calls you to give a heads up that your tubes are "being cut and Mitered" so you get a heads up. Everyone has their growing pains and different stories.
    not sure that anyone is slamming dean for the late delivery as much as the inconsistant and false disclosures about where the frame is in the process of being delivered late. seems when they told you the tubes were "being cut and mitered" it was quite possibly the truth...when i was told that they did not even have the tubes in the shop. can't speak to the jericho thing but if i got the lack of response that everyone else seems to get then i would bag on them also. any custom builder is gonna miss due dates but EVERY custom builder should be spot on with the status of the frame

Jed Peters
    All I've heard about Dean is the lying they resort to. Now, that may be isolated, may be one guy, may be an old employee system, whatever....I've just heard they flat out lie to people who pony up cash for their bikes.

Jericho, Well, I've bought 4 Jericho's myself (crap!). 2 geared and 2 single.

Here's how it goes. Order frame number one. Takes forever and a day, tons of "dude, not done" and "it's at paint". I was SO pissed at all the custom BS. (first custom frame)

Get the frame, 2 weekends later see Josh Ogle, owner of Jericho (and designer builder) on the trails, he sees me on the bike, and says, dude, that's too small, I'll build you another the right size. Nothing else, no more money. He calls 3 days later. "What color do you want your frame to be?" Unreal.

Fast forward. Ogle's at where ever over Xmas break. I need a new bike. He calls me over the weekend. "Dude, come down, I've got one here." Pick up the bike at his shop, it's good to go.

Month later, go to get suzy a bike. Josh pulls one off the rack, "needs to go to paint". 6 weeks later (the frame was done.) I get the bike.

Now, I consider Josh a friend, and I like him a ton. His bikes are second to none. They are the best riding hardtails I have ever ridden.

I needed a road bike in a short period of time (rush). Did I have Ogle do it? No. IF promised and delivered, but the specs were off and they let me (graciously) ride that frame on my honeymoon while they built me one that fit properly.

My wife (road racer) needs a custom bike becasue she is REALLY short with long femurs. She is not in a rush. We went to Della Santa to have him make her a bike.

Edit: If I needed a mountain hardtail, I would get a Jericho, hands down. HINT: I'm selling a gearie in the marketplace!

Bikes not Bombs.....

Human Nature....

I have had several custom bike starting in 1991, all, and I mean ALL, have been delayed for one reason or another.

The funny thing about human nature is our tendency to throw someone or something under the bus when it is the popular thing to do. As soon as Josh gets back at it, people will forget the downtime and probably will order as nothing happened.

As far as the Dean situation, they probably could use a little PR right now and do some damage control. I would hate to see the mob mentality destroy a company as fine as Dean. They produce a great product at a good price.

I am still waiting for a set of White Industry SS cranks. My PW Pisser has been done since the middle of January. It is sitting lonely in a cardboard box waiting for the day when it gets it's first breath of life. All parts are in, waiting patiently to be carressed into place on the noblest of steeds, except that part. All the bike and parts were paid for in advance. so am I upset..????? Nope.

I know they have done all they could do to get the part to me. I know that soon, very soon, I will swing my leg over one of the finest custom SS bikes I have ever seen, let alone owned. Patience is the key. Good things come to those who wait. In due time I will forget about the few weeks delay, because I will finaly have what I truly wanted, no matter how long it took to get. My final though is.... how bad do we really want the frame, is a 6,8, or 12 week delay going to matter in 10 years? Will you remember the bike, or the deay. If you remember the delay, then the bike wasn't that special to you in the first place.

Kinda like chasing after the girl you truly love... is a few more weeks going to matter?

Keep the faith in custom builders.... remember the alternative.... offshore specials.....

JS
    Last edited by SS Jerry; 02-20-2004 at 01:59 PM.
    Thanks to all of you for your friendships on this board..... -

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I think some smaller and boutique builders are going to have to learn to be more upfront and honest with their customers. As we've all painfully seen on the GD board recently, this is a small community and negative experiences spread very quickly via the internet, forums, email, etc. We're in the info technology age now. These guys know exactly how many orders are in the pipeline and should be demanding the same info from their painters and other suppliers. Based on this, give people a realistic time estimate and then try to beat it. That's how the rest of the business world works. And why not just shoot out weekly updates via email to your customers. That would take all of about 3 minutes per bike per week. I'm sure if they take the initiative and send out an update and any corresponding change to the estimated delivery date, they would significantly reduce the number of pestering and/or angry phone calls down the line. Customers are putting down big bucks. They deserve to be kept informed. I don't want to go off on a huge tangent, but for some reason normal business rules don't seem to 100% apply to the bike industry. For example, I'm all for supporting my LBS and stuff, but don't think I should be expected to bring them a 6 or 12-pack of some micro brew every other time I'm in there. Who's the customer here? S

XC Geek
    I bought an Ionic right after they moved to Boulder (2001?) and had it in 2 weeks. Sweetest hardtail I've ever ridden. I was thinking about sending it back to convert it to an EBB single speed. Are they really that slow now that they've partnered up with Dean?

34N 118W
    yep, and you especially don't want to hear how great the skiing is from your builder, while you wait for your overdue frame. I'm just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by DSR
    I think some smaller and boutique builders are going to have to learn to be more upfront and honest with their customers. As we've all painfully seen on the GD board recently, this is a small community and negative experiences spread very quickly via the internet, forums, email, etc. We're in the info technology age now. These guys know exactly how many orders are in the pipeline and should be demanding the same info from their painters and other suppliers. Based on this, give people a realistic time estimate and then try to beat it. That's how the rest of the business world works. And why not just shoot out weekly updates via email to your customers. That would take all of about 3 minutes per bike per week. I'm sure if they take the initiative and send out an update and any corresponding change to the estimated delivery date, they would significantly reduce the number of pestering and/or angry phone calls down the line. Customers are putting down big bucks. They deserve to be kept informed. I don't want to go off on a huge tangent, but for some reason normal business rules don't seem to 100% apply to the bike industry. For example, I'm all for supporting my LBS and stuff, but don't think I should be expected to bring them a 6 or 12-pack of some micro brew every other time I'm in there. Who's the customer here? S

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Jerry
    I have had several custom bike starting in 1991, all, and I mean ALL, have been delayed for one reason or another.

The funny thing about human nature is our tendency to throw someone or something under the bus when it is the popular thing to do. As soon as Josh gets back at it, people will forget the downtime and probably will order as nothing happened.

As far as the Dean situation, they probably could use a little PR right now and do some damage control. I would hate to see the mob mentality destroy a company as fine as Dean. They produce a great product at a good price.

I am still waiting for a set of White Industry SS cranks. My PW Pisser has been done since the middle of January. It is sitting lonely in a cardboard box waiting for the day when it gets it's first breath of life. All parts are in, waiting patiently to be carressed into place on the noblest of steeds, except that part. All the bike and parts were paid for in advance. so am I upset..????? Nope.

I know they have done all they could do to get the part to me. I know that soon, very soon, I will swing my leg over one of the finest custom SS bikes I have ever seen, let alone owned. Patience is the key. Good things come to those who wait. In due time I will forget about the few weeks delay, because I will finaly have what I truly wanted, no matter how long it took to get. My final though is.... how bad do we really want the frame, is a 6,8, or 12 week delay going to matter in 10 years? Will you remember the bike, or the deay. If you remember the delay, then the bike wasn't that special to you in the first place.

Kinda like chasing after the girl you truly love... is a few more weeks going to matter?

Keep the faith is custom builders.... remember the alternative.... offshore specials.....

JS
    Well said man. Well said.

Jed Peters
    Well said man. Well said.
    So Brett, I take it yours is still "at paint"?

(I actually believe it, spectrum's a pain in the rear with wait times. Suzy's custom road frame being painted by cyclesmith will take 4-6 weeks at the PAINTER!)

giddy up!

I agree with you....

.....when you are talking about "delays". However, I don't really consider 13 weeks a delay.....especially when you have been told that the frame is built when they have not aquired tubes yet, is at paint when it is a ti bike that is not receiving paint, and that it is ready for shipping, only to find out that they haven't even sourced a BB shell yet. Unfortunately, this is not a unique situation with dean, it is the norm. I have 3 friends who are currently in the same boat that I was in, and are ready to cancell, I hope they do.....

After cancelling my order, I found another builder who will get the job done right. Will it be on time, probably not, however, they will be honest with me, and I will know the status of the frame at all times...no leg pulling.

Keep the faith is custom builders.... remember the alternative.... offshore specials.....

JS

ali'i hua
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    keep in mind that seven and IF are known for their promptness, from what Ive heard.

sofa king was a little late, but i allowed them as much time as needed, so my own damn fault!

Jed Peters
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowSSer
    keep in mind that seven and IF are known for their promptness, from what Ive heard.

sofa king was a little late, but i allowed them as much time as needed, so my own damn fault!
    I think you pay for the promptness with IF and Seven. But those bikes are also (to me) "big name". There's a lot of them out there.

I think with makers like Sycip, Jericho, whatever, you feel like a part of the family when you have their bikes.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    I agree with most everyone here... a couple of pieces of advice (or wishes).

Customers:
    - if you order a custom frame, particularly if it's a 5-man or less shop, do not expect it on they day they promise. For example, don't sell or dismantle your current ride, don't have all the parts waiting in the garage, don't schedule an epic ride or race the next day. You will get screwed, period!

- do not ever tell the builder statements like...'take your time', 'I'm in no hurry'. You are asking for it. Just be nice, but firm and deliberate and say you expect it when they say it will be done.

- so it's like poker. don't expect it when they say you're going to get it, but demand nothing less. It will arrive late but minimize your heartache and when the frame arrives, it will be so awesome that most sins are forgiven anyway.

Builders:
    - Be honest about time periods and leave yourself a buffer. The best example is Rivendell. Small shop and will tell you up front. 'For the rambouliet.... 25 months.' Then you either go away in shock or wait patiently. But damnit, they will give you the frame on month 25!!

- don't be like terminaut's builder who took >$2k deposit, was a year late and would not return phonecalls. That's crossing the line maan!

francois

Jed Peters
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    I agree with most everyone here... a couple of pieces of advice (or wishes).

Customers:
    - if you order a custom frame, particularly if it's a 5-man or less shop, do not expect it on they day they promise. For example, don't sell or dismantle your current ride, don't have all the parts waiting in the garage, don't schedule an epic ride or race the next day. You will get screwed, period!

- do not ever tell the builder statements like...'take your time', 'I'm in no hurry'. You are asking for it. Just be nice, but firm and deliberate and say you expect it when they say it will be done.

- so it's like poker. don't expect it when they say you're going to get it, but demand nothing less. It will arrive late but minimize your heartache and when the frame arrives, it will be so awesome that most sins are forgiven anyway.

Builders:
    - Be honest about time periods and leave yourself a buffer. The best example is Rivendell. Small shop and will tell you up front. 'For the rambouliet.... 25 months.' Then you either go away in shock or wait patiently. But damnit, they will give you the frame on month 25!!

- don't be like terminaut's builder who took >$2k deposit, was a year late and would not return phonecalls. That's crossing the line maan!

francois
    Yeah, what he said!

ali'i hua
    Quote Originally Posted by Zonic Man
    I think you pay for the promptness with IF and Seven. But those bikes are also (to me) "big name". There's a lot of them out there.

I think with makers like Sycip, Jericho, whatever, you feel like a part of the family when you have their bikes.
    very true on all counts. heck, i think it might be true of most "boutique" brands.

oh, and Im guilty of all three of francois' customer dont's. oh well.

Fat Boy Deluxe
    ...The funny thing about human nature is our tendency to throw someone or something under the bus when it is the popular thing to do. As soon as Josh gets back at it, people will forget the downtime and probably will order as nothing happened.

As far as the Dean situation, they probably could use a little PR right now and do some damage control. I would hate to see the mob mentality destroy a company as fine as Dean. They produce a great product at a good price...

...Patience is the key. Good things come to those who wait. In due time I will forget about the few weeks delay, because I will finaly have what I truly wanted, no matter how long it took to get. My final though is.... how bad do we really want the frame, is a 6,8, or 12 week delay going to matter in 10 years? Will you remember the bike, or the deay. If you remember the delay, then the bike wasn't that special to you in the first place.

Keep the faith in custom builders.... remember the alternative.... offshore specials.....

JS
    Ok, now I know that wasn't meant directly for me, but I possibly could have been in mind when you wrote that. I have kind of stayed out of the whole bashing the custom builder thing cause that's not really me or my intent. I just wanted to post my *personal* experience with the company I worked with and how I felt about it, thought it might help someone who was on the fence and about to pull the trigger. Then again, I also recommended they call that company if they wanted an excellent product.

But sometimes it's not as easy as this is what I have always wanted and now (if I wait long enough), I can have it. Personally, I like myself better than any bike that I own or will ever own, no matter how special that bike is. I like the chasing of the girl thing you wrote, except (to take it to an extreme) if I truely loved her, I would be willing to die for her and I'm sure not willing to die for a bike...

But yea, I agree with a lot that you say, people should take the experiences that are posted here for what they are, isolated experiences. Your most likely going to hear 10 bad reports for every 1 good report about a company, that's just how things work. No need to throw them "under the bus" for one bad experience.

I probably won't respond anymore to these posts, but I just wanted to put what was rolling around in my head out there. Working with a custom builder is a two-person process, which is why it's so much harder to work things out than just getting a stock frame. There has to be great communication. I also believe that some builders aren't meant for everyone, BUT they are still great builders and produce great art (product). Sometimes it's as much the buyer's fault as it is the fabricator...

DT

mtbr member

False expectation just for the business

If your in business you need to spell out delivery expectations. Don't tell the customer what they want to hear tell them reality. How many of you would go somewhere else to purchase a bike if IONIC bicycles told you it would be delivered in 20weeks. I've had to deal with IONIC and these builders make it feel like they are doing you a favor.

It will be done tomorrow when I get around to it works in other countries but not with the US consumer.

Just my 2 cents.....

Moderator Moderator
    Nope, I got mine right here next to me. not built though. i've got to order parts for it and have been super lazy.

All said and told - mine was at spectrum for about 5-6 weeks.

Jed Peters
    Nope, I got mine right here next to me. not built though. i've got to order parts for it and have been super lazy.

All said and told - mine was at spectrum for about 5-6 weeks.
    You owe us some pretty frame pics.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    JS[/QUOTE]

that's a good one! well put.

oh and spectrum did my WTB Phoenix frame,fork and stem in just 7 days. maybe they were in a slow time. top notch work though. and they did the Crow i got from SSJerry. the same quality. nice prices too.

oh well.

over and out
    nate

mtbr member

just ordered my new DEAN/Ionic SS frame

have dealt with them many times in the past. I know there is a wait, and I will get it when I get it. I did not hesitate for a second ordering from them, they make take awhile, but the product is worth the wait, and the price is reasonable in comparison to getting a seven/IF/retrotec (the others I was considering) Just me .02

Moderator Moderator

Crappy pics here

Quote Originally Posted by Zonic Man
    You owe us some pretty frame pics.

Hey Jed, I posted some on the 29"er board a couple weeks ago. For some reason they came out really bad when I reduced the size. I'm waiting to take some more to post here on this board that are more worthy.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=5779