Interested in SS - Need Help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Interested in SS - Need Help

I am very interested in the SS world. I have never ridden an SS bike but have a strong feeling that I will like it, reasons being, I love riding rigid, hate shifting and miss my old BMX rig. So I would like to try this lifestyle out. I have an old steel Specialized mtb frame that I was thinking of building up, but just didn't know what this would include. I know that I will need a new wheelset, are there SS specific wheelset that will fit my frame or am I looking at getting a conversion kit. Also, do you think building up this frame is a good idea or should I just go looking for a budget SS complete bike. Thanks for the input in advance!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    yeah when i was groing up all i used tor ride bmx style bikes.just recently i wanted to get back into riding and i love the singlespeed bmx style so i bought a redline monocog for about 500$ and changed the handle bars from mountain bike to bmx style.so now i have a nice 26 inch bmx style bike that i cruise all over austin.i dont knoe jack aboput wheels or building up a bike from a frame as im a noob,.just sharing what i ride and that i love my monocog,its a big frame and holds my big body.

JRA
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt_donkey
    So I would like to try this lifestyle out. I have an old steel Specialized mtb frame that I was thinking of building up, but just didn't know what this would include.
    Most of your questions will be answered by the SS FAQ. Read that first and if you've still got questions then fire away. Basically, just use spacers and a non-ramped cog in back (no special wheelset necessary). Use an old derailleur as a tensioner. Try that out and then if you really love it you can think about making upgrades. Since the old mtb frame is steel, you could have horizontal dropouts or an eccentric BB welded on easily. Thats only worth it if the frame fits you well. Enjoy!

34N 118W

my take

1. assuming the frame fits you, keep it!

2. Budget? no $$: convert a geared/cassette rear wheel with spacers and a cog (see FAQ). That way if you don't like SS you can use it w/gears. If you've got some cash to spend, go with the White Ind. ENO hub for a clean, tensioner-less setup.

3. if you have a crankset, look for a singlespeed / dual slalom chainring from Salsa, Blackspire, Tru Vativ, etc.

4. webcyclery.com has a good selection of rigid forks.

good luck and report back!
    HW

Quote Originally Posted by dirt_donkey
    I am very interested in the SS world. I have never ridden an SS bike but have a strong feeling that I will like it, reasons being, I love riding rigid, hate shifting and miss my old BMX rig. So I would like to try this lifestyle out. I have an old steel Specialized mtb frame that I was thinking of building up, but just didn't know what this would include. I know that I will need a new wheelset, are there SS specific wheelset that will fit my frame or am I looking at getting a conversion kit. Also, do you think building up this frame is a good idea or should I just go looking for a budget SS complete bike. Thanks for the input in advance!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks for the responses. I guess I am completely blind, because I did not see the FAQ link until now, like my dad says "If it was a snake it would have bitten you". Well I will take a look in there and see what happens. I think I am starting to lean toward looking for a good deal on a built-up bike. I started thinking that using my old frame may cost me more money and it doesn't really fit that great. I bought it before I understood the whole bike fit thing and it is a size too big. So I think I will rethink the whole building it up idea. I just liked the fact that I had it on hand and it could be my little project to drive my wife nuts. Oh well I am one for instant gratification anyway. Well I will take a look at the FAQ and if anyone has any ideas beside Ebay and these classifieds where I can get a great deal on a SS rig, I would greatly appreciate it!