Installed New Stylo Crank - Sticking- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Installed New Stylo Crank - Sticking

I just installed a brand new stylo crank on a Niner SIR 9. I greased everything up per the instructions and when I crank it down to where there is no play left, it just pretty much seizes. Has anyone experienced this problem?

The less I crank it down, the more freely it spins, but there is also tons of play left so i know that is not right and the crank arm bolt isn't even that snug so it would come loose.

Thanks in advance.

Wes

AZ
    banned
    Correct spacer set up?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I had the same thing, remove the spacers from both sides of the bearing cups, crank it down, and it should be ok.
    "Live life, taste death." Crazy dude from ski patrol

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    All right! Removed the spacers and things are much improved. Still doesn't spin as good as my higher end road cranks - but I suppose that is the difference between a $300 crank and a $120 crank : )

For a perspective, when I spin it, it goes about 2-3 revolutions and then poops out. But it feels right....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wesmeyer11
    All right! Removed the spacers and things are much improved. Still doesn't spin as good as my higher end road cranks - but I suppose that is the difference between a $300 crank and a $120 crank : )

For a perspective, when I spin it, it goes about 2-3 revolutions and then poops out. But it feels right....
    yep, as per Truvativ you should not put any spacers behind the BB when installing on a frame with a 73mm BB shell like the Niner

As for the spinning resistance, almost all external bearing cranksets feel like that in the stand because of the heavier duty seals they use. In real world performance it barely makes any difference (otherwise pro XC and road rides wouldn't be using them)

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Man, this is a great resource. Some serious knowledge on this site. Thanks fellas. Just waiting on the wheels and then I will be rollin on the SIR 9, 1 x 1 of course.

AZ
    banned
    Post pics. when shes up and rollin .

Members who have read this thread: 0