bicyclist

Inexplicable case of Noisy Singlespeed Syndrome

so today i'm out for a medium-intensity road ride around town (i didn't feel like riding the gearie and the ss is geared too high for trail riding), and i have this rythmic noise coming from the important end of the bike. i ignore it for a while and keep riding, then i stop and re-tighten the chainring bolts, but the noise doesn't go away. it is something in the chain/chainring/ring bolt department, because there is no noise when i backpedal or flex the cranks (pushing down on the cranks in the 3 o'clock and the 9 o'clock positions, then spinning them 180 degrees and repeating). the chainring is a Blackspire Neo Pro 34, reasonably worn, non-ramped. the chain is a brand-new SRAM PC-68 (i think). i have tried the grease on the ring bolt threads trick (to no avail), the chain is well-lubed and it isn't the hub or anything in back there. any suggestions?
    People who really know what happened aren't talking. And the people who don't have a clue, you can't shut them up.
    Tom Waits

i like to bicycle

remove-able spider?

my truvativ SS crank has a remove-able spider and that little bastard can creak. take it appart clean it and try again. not sure what crank you have...

my next crank will not have a removable spider. altho my older XTR does and it has never creaked.

bicyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by mwills
    my truvativ SS crank has a remove-able spider and that little bastard can creak. take it appart clean it and try again. not sure what crank you have...

my next crank will not have a removable spider. altho my older XTR does and it has never creaked.
    sorry, forgot to mention that. they are older 5-bolt white industries square-taper units (not sure of the model, though...)
    People who really know what happened aren't talking. And the people who don't have a clue, you can't shut them up.
    Tom Waits

SUBLIM8er
    I had a similar issue two days ago. Thought it was the drivetrain so I tore it all apart, greased and put back together but still noise. Turns out it was the seatpost that only creaked when I was applying torque to the pedals.

bicyclist
    update: i took off everything except the bb and put it back together, tight and greased, and the noise is almost gone. but still not completely...
    Tom Waits

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    take out your seatpost and clean and grease it before putting it back in

high plains drifter

fact of life

every bike I've ever owned has squeaked,creaked,rattled,or had some unexplainable noise
    with no identifiable source.just pull everything apart grease and re-tighten you'll eventually find it.