Inexpensive starter 29er- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Inexpensive starter 29er

Just got a new Performance catalog and noticed they had a Mongoose single speed on sale for $450. Thought it looked interesting so I went to their site. You gotta dig but it's actually in the Road section and there's almost no info on the bike. So I go to Mongoose's site and dig this up http://www.mongoose.com/bikes/detail...nal&brandID=82

Seems like an inexpensive introduction to the 29er world. A new set of tires and it should be trail ready. Nothing even close to high end here but perfectly serviceable. I especially like the thermos holder

And no, I'm not a shill for Mongoose or Performance. Just thought it looked like a decent buy into the 29 world.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Saw that too... I likie.
    Bike Building and Painting

Crystavox Single Speed Bikes

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by meloh1
    Just got a new Performance catalog and noticed they had a Mongoose single speed on sale for $450. Thought it looked interesting so I went to their site. You gotta dig but it's actually in the Road section and there's almost no info on the bike. So I go to Mongoose's site and dig this up http://www.mongoose.com/bikes/detail...nal&brandID=82

Seems like an inexpensive introduction to the 29er world. A new set of tires and it should be trail ready. Nothing even close to high end here but perfectly serviceable. I especially like the thermos holder

And no, I'm not a shill for Mongoose or Performance. Just thought it looked like a decent buy into the 29 world.
    Designed as a city bike. Tall gearing, low BB, may not have clearance for bigger tires (shipped with 700x47). Not a good pick for an off road bike.

Heck of a deal otherwise.

A Redline Monocog 29 is about the same price and is a true off road 29er. Not as nice a spec, but its ride in the dirt is as good as much more expensive bikes.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Spooooon!
    The Monocog is a good choice from what I've seen. Also note that Speedgoat still has Karate Monkey frames on sale for $299.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Monocog 29'er

I bought a Monocog 29'er a month ago. Ready to ride for $475. So far no complaints at all. There's room to upgrade, but I don't think you can beat it's ride/cost ratio.
    Either you rode today, or you didn't.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Get a Monocog 29er. Bike is definitely worth it.
    HB - The God Damn Flying Dutchman
    Chicago Freeride
    Elgin, IL

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The gearing would be pretty easy and inexpensive to change. I don't think clearance would be a problem if it fits 47 tires off the shelf but I'd want to make sure. To me the BB height is a non-issue but to others it may be a concern. Just thought it offered another way to get into the 29 game for a pretty cheap price, even with the needed changes. And it does have an EBB. You won't find that in this price range anywhere else that I know of.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by meloh1
    The gearing would be pretty easy and inexpensive to change. I don't think clearance would be a problem if it fits 47 tires off the shelf but I'd want to make sure. To me the BB height is a non-issue but to others it may be a concern. Just thought it offered another way to get into the 29 game for a pretty cheap price, even with the needed changes. And it does have an EBB. You won't find that in this price range anywhere else that I know of.
    I think the tire clearance may be the biggest issue. A 47mm street tire is not even close to the size of most 29x2.1 knobbies.

I do like the spec of the bike. The SS thermos/cage is cool.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Members who have read this thread: 0