Indoor Riding- Mtbr.com

Thread: Indoor Riding

Low Rep Count

Indoor Riding

Well, due to some things going on yesterday I couldn't get out on a ride (outside). I guess that was a good thing though since it was like 21 degrees outside with 10-15mph winds which basically iced everything over.

Instead, I dug out my road shoes/pedals and got on the spin bike in the basement. I was fairly excited at first but in my mind knew it was going to suck. Having been through quite a few spin classes in my time, I pretty much had a good idea of what I was going to do and managed to put in a solid 45 minutes. Basically did about 8 intervals and two long climbs. For the climbs, I start out at a moderate setting, then turn the dial 1/4 turn every minute until I reach a full 1.5 rotations. Then I crank it up the other half and stand up to pedal for 2 min. Then I work my way back down to my start setting in the same fashion. I did this twice if you will. I ended with 3 45 second seated sprints at a fairly hard setting. Hard to just sit and spin mind you but easy enough to get going. I pretty much started feeling the burn at the 20 second mark on these and then ended with a 5 min cool down. Not once did I actually stop pedaling during the 45 minute ride. So it was sort of like riding a fixie if you will. While I got my HR up pretty high (174) a few times, my legs felt much more tired when I was done compared to when I go out and ride. I guess that is due to not coasting after a climb or sprint like you normally would while out riding. Basically, there was no downhill sections.

Over all it went pretty good and I actually had a good time. I had my iPod playing a playlist that I actually made for when I taught a spin class some time ago. But I know that reality will set in here soon and riding the spin bike is going to suck. It just gets old real quick if you know what I mean. But the training benefit of it was great last night as I am sure I rode harder than I would have had I been out in the 20 degree weather. Best of all, no need for winter boots on this ride. Toes didn't get cold at all!

Teen Wolf
    indeed. that's why i do spin a couple times a week in the winter. i do it in a class, i can't mentally do it alone. f that

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    i moved to Southern California instead

Low Rep Count
    ^^^Whatever!!! I would love to move there but can't afford it. There are jobs in my line of work but I still could not afford to live there. I mean, there would be so many little cuties out on the beach that allomony would kill me!

Seriously, I have started thinking about looking into some of the classes that are offered at my gym. A friend of mine is a spin instructor there and I am sure his class would be pretty good. I think I will do a few more rides on my own before I jump into that though.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD
    ^^^Whatever!!! I would love to move there but can't afford it. There are jobs in my line of work but I still could not afford to live there. I mean, there would be so many little cuties out on the beach that allomony would kill me!

Seriously, I have started thinking about looking into some of the classes that are offered at my gym. A friend of mine is a spin instructor there and I am sure his class would be pretty good. I think I will do a few more rides on my own before I jump into that though.
    hahaha i hear ya, just busting your balls (but seriously, it was in the 80's yesterday!)

i thought about spin class... i heard the scenery was pretty good

Low Rep Count
    I will have to check out a few of the classes before I settle on one. I have seen a few cuties in the classes but they almost seem few and far between in my gym. Frickn overweight Susie Soccer moms.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    i thought you were talking about actually riding indoors http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iof7QJmjhts

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    you could try sufferfest videos dowloaded from there website they are not exspensive and make the turbo trainer bearable

Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    i moved to Southern California instead
    Yes, as a lifetime resident of California life is tough. Today the weather was partial clouds and 57 deg with no wind. I jumped on my fixed gear and did a nice 50mi loop in the Pajaro farmland. <a href="http://www.mapmyride.com/route/us/ca/pajaro/243129245977519500"> Check it out </a> 1SPD I feel your pain; NOT!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Indoor Riding-green-machine.jpg  

Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    Yes, as a lifetime resident of California life is tough. Today the weather was partial clouds and 57 deg with no wind. I jumped on my fixed gear and did a nice 50mi loop in the Pajaro farmland. 1SPD I feel your pain; NOT!
    Man, you have to be the trendiest old guy on the SS forum.

We get crap weather in Oregon, but it makes life better. Novelty mildly snowy rides are fantastic and then we get to ride in miles of delicious mud. This last weekend it was really wet, so large sections of trail were entirely underwater. It is like biking down a river.

The only time I can manage indoor training is during World Cups or the NBA Playoffs. Otherwise, get me outside.

Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    Man, you have to be the trendiest old guy on the SS forum.

We get crap weather in Oregon, but it makes life better. Novelty mildly snowy rides are fantastic and then we get to ride in miles of delicious mud. This last weekend it was really wet, so large sections of trail were entirely underwater. It is like biking down a river.

The only time I can manage indoor training is during World Cups or the NBA Playoffs. Otherwise, get me outside.
    This is the quote over my <a href="http://onespeedbiker.blogspot.com/"> bike blog</a>

"I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailleur? We are getting soft... As for me, give me a fixed gear!"
    --Henri Desgrange, 1902. Of course Desgrange was insane, but we pretend to ignore that part.

Riding Velodrome bikes in the city without brakes is trendy. Riding fixed gear bikes a long way has been going on for a long time (Cool Jersey huh? There was actually a group all wearing the same Jersey and they followed me for about 30 miles thinking I was with them).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Indoor Riding-solvang.jpg  

Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

Low Rep Count
    I used to have an old Fuji track bike when I lived in CO Spngs and raced at the veledrome. It was a great bike and I put many a winter miles on that thing!

nothing to see here
    this is the best type of indoor trainer

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AKEHoA_xl-U?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AKEHoA_xl-U?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    homemade free motion rollers:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/p0BQsG5aqAA" frameborder="0"></iframe>

mtbr member
    I usually do a couple of spin classes a week, 60-90 mins., there's decent scenery at my gym....although, my wife seems to be the best!

Low Rep Count
    ^^^What a suck up! Is she on here too?

I like the home made rollers! I haven't ridden roller in a good 8 years now. But as I mentioned, I have a spin bike in the basement. Picked it up when my gym was getting new ones. Got it for $250. Not bad when you consider that it cost almost $1500 3 years earlier. It's a Schwinn and is easily the heaviest bike I have ever owned for only having one wheel!

Low Rep Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob
    this is the best type of indoor trainer

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AKEHoA_xl-U?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AKEHoA_xl-U?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
    That frickn rocks! I would be riding that thing all the time. I can only imagine how much noise that would make in my basement!

Low Rep Count
    Quote Originally Posted by bmike
    homemade free motion rollers:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/p0BQsG5aqAA" frameborder="0"></iframe>
    I have ridden rollers but they were never free motion. I think I would certainly go down a few times learning to ride those. That is pretty wild. At first I didn't read the title and started thinking they were going to come apart and we were going to get to see something funny! You know the typical roller crashes!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD
    I have ridden rollers but they were never free motion. I think I would certainly go down a few times learning to ride those. That is pretty wild. At first I didn't read the title and started thinking they were going to come apart and we were going to get to see something funny! You know the typical roller crashes!
    these are actually a bit easier to ride... the bike moves under you just like on the road. you can stand, sprint, slow to a crawl. a few friends can ride no handed (which I guess you can do on regular rollers too...)

i just picked up a pug, so i'm not sure how much these will see over the winter.

Members who have read this thread: 0