Inbred gone bad... could be happier... still might be- Mtbr.com
    Sweep the leg!

Inbred gone bad... could be happier... still might be

Today the Inbred via Jenson was delivered. Upon inspection it was discovered to have a dent in the head tube. I would be willing to fiddle with the Var or Campy tool kit at the LBS to get the dent out and the cup installed but my wife insisted I call Jenson. So I did. I have to say they are winning me over with their customer service. FedEx will pick it up asap and I'll have a replacement next week. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed.

I have an initial impression of the On*One frame but I'll withhold that until the other frame shows.

Until then I'll just have to keep my digits crossed.

those are Rollercams...
    With all due respect, why would you want to repair something that's supposed to be new? They shipped you a damaged frame, they should be making it right. Had they overnighted another out to you at their cost today and issued a call tag for the damaged one, I'd have been impressed. Remember, you're the customer.

My .02 centavos.

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

Sweep the leg!
    I don't want to misrepresent the damage. It is a dent that might not result in the paint coming off of the frame. I've repaired worse. But still, you're correct, I am the customer and they are making good. I paid for 2 day ground shipping originally so I have no expectation of speedier service. I need to add, the customer service guy, Lee, was great.

bikaroo
    congrats on the new frame.

But I gotta say...
    uhhh... I'd have EVERY expectation of speedier service.

Sure mistakes happen, but you've ALREADY waited the 2 days... got a bum frame... now ya have to hang around waiting for FedEx to pick it up... and wait an additional 2 days for the frame you ordered in the first place.

I'd say they're doing less than the minumum you should reasonably expect. No matter how nice the phone-dood made the deal sound, they could and should do better.

You're being the nice dood. They're barely meeting their obligation.

I recently ordered something from another online retailer. Paid x-tra for 2nd day. On day #2 it hadn't arrived (fell off the UPS tracking radar somewhere in the midwest). One call to the retailer and they sent another out overnight, got it the next day... net 3 day wait (which got it to me JUST in time for X-mas). AND the dood on the phone was really nice.

Good luck!

BTW, you're gonna love the bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skippy the bush kangaroo
    congrats on the new frame.

But I gotta say...
    uhhh... I'd have EVERY expectation of speedier service.

Sure mistakes happen, but you've ALREADY waited the 2 days... got a bum frame... now ya have to hang around waiting for FedEx to pick it up... and wait an additional 2 days for the frame you ordered in the first place.

I'd say they're doing less than the minumum you should reasonably expect. No matter how nice the phone-dood made the deal sound, they could and should do better.

You're being the nice dood. They're barely meeting their obligation.
    When we have had transit damage in the UK, we *always* insist that the frame comes back to us, since someone once did this:-

1) stole credit card info
    2) ordered frame
    3) recieved frame
    4) claimed shipping damage
    5) asked for a replacement asap
    6) we shipped the replacement
    7) they vanished into the night with two frames, paid on a stolen credit card

it's bad folks like this that ruin it for the rest of you.

now we don't ship replacements unless:-

a) we can charge it to a card, then refund when we get the frame back (which usually will snag on a stolen card, as the owner may well have reported it missing)
    or
    b) we've got the frame back and checked it.

it's just one of the problems with mail order. We constantly review our shipping and packing materials to try to eliminate these problems. We even introduced a heavily reinforced headtube on our Planet X MTB frames to limit damage - which happily didn't add too much weight (they're alloy).

we try to make sure our builders ship frames with headtube inserts - though sometimes these are missed, or fall out, or get taken out and not reinstalled.

I hope the ride of the frame will make up for the short delay.

mtbr member
    Two comments from two people that have never owned or ran a business. Jenson is doing the right thing, they are a good if not the best online retailer around.

Caffine, did you order the 16"? They are now discontinued. I am interested to see how they handle it. Please keep us informed. I am expecting a 16" frame today.

DiscoCowboy

I forgot about Lee

I've dealt with him whenever I ordered through Jenson over the past 5 years i would call him directly. Enjoy the new ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered
    I don't want to misrepresent the damage. It is a dent that might not result in the paint coming off of the frame. I've repaired worse. But still, you're correct, I am the customer and they are making good. I paid for 2 day ground shipping originally so I have no expectation of speedier service. I need to add, the customer service guy, Lee, was great.

those are Rollercams...
    Quote Originally Posted by Suffer
    Two comments from two people that have never owned or ran a business. Jenson is doing the right thing, they are a good if not the best online retailer around.

Caffine, did you order the 16"? They are now discontinued. I am interested to see how they handle it. Please keep us informed. I am expecting a 16" frame today.

Do I know you? You obviously seem to think you know me as you state "have never owned or ran a business" I've owned my own business and run businesses for others, what's your background?. Sounds like you have a personal interest at Jenson, who by the way I have never had an issue or complaint with. Reread my post, I didn't knock them, just don't think they need to be praised for replacing damaged goods, they aren't going above and beyond here. I didn't and don't understand why anyone would feel the need to heap praise on someone for taking care of their responsibilty, whether it's a bicycle or anything else.

BTW, the 16" isn't discontinued, only the manufacturer can do that. Jenson just sold out of them. Having owned and run businesses, I know the difference.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WTB-rider
    Do I know you? You obviously seem to think you know me as you state "have never owned or ran a business" I've owned my own business and run businesses for others, what's your background?. Sounds like you have a personal interest at Jenson, who by the way I have never had an issue or complaint with. Reread my post, I didn't knock them, just don't think they need to be praised for replacing damaged goods, they aren't going above and beyond here. I didn't and don't understand why anyone would feel the need to heap praise on someone for taking care of their responsibilty, whether it's a bicycle or anything else.

BTW, the 16" isn't discontinued, only the manufacturer can do that. Jenson just sold out of them. Having owned and run businesses, I know the difference.
    I am a district manager at U.P.S. I am responsible for 5 hub and 27 centers(Around 9200 employees).I have more than enough knowledge to make a statement on this subject. I have no personal interest with Jenson, they use Fedex.(I guess I would like to have thier account). I just found your post to be incorrect. There is a lot of fraud in the e-commerce/shipping business these days. There is enough to force businesses to change thier habits. What Jenson is doing is a perfect example, they are doing their best to protect themselves and other customers from the expense of false replacement claims. You don't have to like it but it is a necessary evil.

The reason I wrote "discontinued" is because those are the words they use on the website, and technically it is "discontinued" because they will no longer be selling these frames, since they were a special buy out purchase.

PS- I got mine today, it is in perfect condition.

Sweep the leg!
    Everyone take a deep breath and relax, I'm the one unable to fondle and caress a new frame... not any of you. As promised FedEx picked up the frame today. I don't doubt I'll have a new 18" sitting in my living room by next Friday.

Brant, When you guys ship an item purchased with a card, do you have any way to know if the billing address corelates with the shipping address? Just curious if the "information age" allows for you to have that much access.

Everyone have a care free weekend.

Poorly Disguised Poser

I dont know

anyone here, I dont work for/with anyone here, and I am not affiliated with anyone here's buisness or financial interests for that matter.

But, how can anyone make any sort of claim as to how customer service should be reacting (and just who should be jumping through these flaming hoops by the way)? As far as i can read, it had not been deremined who is at fault here. Did the frame get damaged in shipping, packaging, manufacturing, or somewhere else? I think until that is determined we cant convict the guilty party.

Making some claim that someone should pay for upgraded shipping seems a bit hasty!

Yeah it sux to not get our toys on time and as promised, but you know what...that is a risk of online commerce. The online shops have low margins and low prices, but they have to protect themselves from things many of us have never considered.

If you had purchased from a LBS (I am not saying you should have) you would have inspected the frame before you paid, and the LBS only had to make sure your payment was good...and have a buisness front, a smaller customer base, and .......Online vendors on the other hand have even more problems to contend with, not least of which being the third party (that is the courier from the vendor to the purchaser).

If anyone here has had a vendor step up to the plate and cover late delivery, feel fortunate. That truely is over the top...or a cover for their own mistake. No courier I have dealt with actually offers any compensation for late delivery. said another way, there is NO guarantee that overnight will actually show up in the next day or two.

Bottom line here is the CUSTOMER seems satisfied with the level of SERVICE he is getting. NONE of us know what the dealings really are (did anyone read the provisions for customer service before they bought?). Most online vendors have a policy for these matters, and I have never seen betterment included in anyone's policy.

Caffeine, I think you are dealing with some good people, and It sounds like you are very reasonable and logical in your thinking. I am sure your patience will be rewarded with a sweet ride. Trust me, good things come to those who wait. It is totally understandable that you are bummed, but I trust things will be made right by you.

I wish you all the best.

those are Rollercams...
    Quote Originally Posted by Suffer
    I am a district manager at U.P.S. I am responsible for 5 hub and 27 centers(Around 9200 employees).I have more than enough knowledge to make a statement on this subject. I have no personal interest with Jenson, they use Fedex.(I guess I would like to have thier account). I just found your post to be incorrect. There is a lot of fraud in the e-commerce/shipping business these days. There is enough to force businesses to change thier habits. What Jenson is doing is a perfect example, they are doing their best to protect themselves and other customers from the expense of false replacement claims. You don't have to like it but it is a necessary evil.

The reason I wrote "discontinued" is because those are the words they use on the website, and technically it is "discontinued" because they will no longer be selling these frames, since they were a special buy out purchase.

PS- I got mine today, it is in perfect condition.

Maybe I'm misreading you but I still get the distinct impression you feel I'm knocking Jenson, which I'm not. Nowhere have I said Jenson is doing anything wrong or less than they should. They're taking care of the customer but IMO, that's their responsibility. Now I'll climb aboard my soapbox and say we as consumers seem to be conditioned to poor customer service and when a retailer does what they're supposed to do, we feel the need to shower them with praise.

"Technically" and "discontinued"? Pure semantics. You have your opinion and I have mine and you know what they say about opinions

Question about your job, where are you located? An old friend of mine has very much the same position(I believe) as you do with U.P.S., wonder if you know him, he's in Calfornia. I would think there are not too many of you at that level, even with a company as huge as U.P.S.

Glad you received your frame in perfect condition, I think you'll like it. I've got one of last year's models without the sliders and I'm pretty happy with it. Post some pics once you've built it.

Zip
    Joe Dirt Status
    Yiiiiiks!

I thought people who rode single speeds were enlightened, lit incense and did not blow imagined things out of context. I'm now selling my Inbred and buying another Turner. I don't want to turn into an angry orge.

Zip

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zip
    an angry orge.

orange? oh, an Ogre. I like ogres. They eat elfs.

Zip
    Joe Dirt Status
    I have an initial impression of the On*One frame but I'll withhold that until the other frame shows.

Until then I'll just have to keep my digits crossed.[/QUOTE]

Hey Brother,

You will be happy!

On a serious note, I have had my Inbred for about 6 months now and i love it! The only upgrades I placed on this gem were a pair of 959 Shimano Peddles and a Marzocchi MX 80mm fork. This thing rocks!

Penis Goat!
    orange? oh, an Ogre. I like ogres. They eat elfs.
    Elfs? Oh, elves. I like elves. They eat people who can't spell.

banned
    Sorry to jack the thread... but how are the 959's?

Zip
    Joe Dirt Status
    Quote Originally Posted by standard235
    Sorry to jack the thread... but how are the 959's?
    I got 3 Mtn Bikes, and I got 3 pairs of 959's. Their awesome!

Sweep the leg!
    Things are getting mildly pear shaped. Jenson called today to tell me they can't ship a replacment because they are out of 18" frames (duh). They gave me these options...

... refund or
    ... take the frame back for me to try to fix it or
    ... let them try to put a Cane Creek S-3 headset in for free and send it back to me.

...um... okay. I'll take the 3rd option.

As long as I get it before May 7th.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    the words 'try' and 'new frame' shouldn't really come together in the same sentence when referencing the installation of a headset. Unless this was the deal of a century I'd tell them to keep it.
    Last edited by gsteinb; 01-07-2006 at 06:59 AM.

those are Rollercams...
    At the risk of inciting anyone, I'd tell the good folks at Jenson to refund your money, including any shipping costs. The frame was a good deal but I personally wouldn't be comfortable with the way this is going. The extra few hundred would be worth it IMO to go with another dealer or On-One directly.

Sweep the leg!
    I knew I should have taken a picture. Jenson (actually the guy was Rudy) said I wasn't the only one with a marfed head tub, he is dealing with "a couple of other customers with the same damage to the frames." I hope the Taiwanese shipper/manufacturer On*One uses wasn't bouncing them before shipping them to the US or elsewhere becuase I think that would get Brant bent out of shape. (yes that was an intended pun)

If Jenson can't make the boo-boo better I'll just have to order a complete bike from Brant. I really am settled on getting a sliding drop out Inbred.
    Last edited by Caffeine Powered; 01-07-2006 at 09:58 AM. Reason: grammar

Combat Wombat

You are a brave man.

Things are getting mildly pear shaped. Jenson called today to tell me they can't ship a replacment because they are out of 18" frames (duh). They gave me these options...

... refund or
    ... take the frame back for me to try to fix it or
    ... let them try to put a Cane Creek S-3 headset in for free and send it back to me.

...um... okay. I'll take the 3rd option.

As long as I get it before May 7th.
    Let me get this straight.......you are going to buy a brand new goobered up frame because someone can muscle a so-so headset into it?

Brian

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=BrianU]Let me get this straight.......you are going to buy a brand new goobered up frame because someone can muscle a so-so headset into it?

Brian[/QUOTE

Let me get this straight.......people are expecting you toturn down an killer deal on a frame set because it's got a dent in the head tube that someone will muscle a headset for free into it?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    [[email protected]]
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianU
    Let me get this straight.......you are going to buy a brand new goobered up frame because someone can muscle a so-so headset into it?

Brian[/QUOTE

Let me get this straight.......people are expecting you toturn down an killer deal on a frame set because it's got a dent in the head tube that someone will muscle a headset for free into it?
    and if it does not work they will refund the money?

Worth a try. Steel is a resilient material.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Sounds to me like Jensen rocks. Take the frame and the headset. Ride your a$$ off.
    -Sean

Combat Wombat

Warranty issues.

[[email protected]]
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianU

Brian[/QUOTE

If a person can deal with a dent, go for it. For me, even if it is a killer deal, its not that killer. No matter how much it costs, that dent is still going to be there. I'll spend more money in beer in the next year than what it would cost to pay for the difference that it would take to buy one of these frames from Webcyclery without a dent.

Brian

Sweep the leg!
    Here's the reason I'll continue to let them try to install the HS... I've been in their shoes. Until TIG welding became derigueur there were this things called "lugs" and they held all the tubes of the frame together. When frame makers were using lugs the shipping options were fewer and les reliable. Every frame I received would get a full prep involving not just facing the hs & bb but checking the fork & rear stay alignment, flexhoning the seat tube and running a tap through all the bolt holes. Rarely but sometimes a frame would show up damaged. A few times damaged enough I had to fire up the torch and replace a tube rather than sending it back to England or Italy. Getting it repainted here wasn't an issue.

My point is this, I was inclined to take 30 minutes (or less) to do the same thing. The head tube On*One uses isn't reinforced in a way that will prevent the minor dent from being mostly removed and a decent hs being installed. It isn't aluminum (I saw a head tube split on a Vitus once) or Ti so I think they'll be successful.

those are Rollercams...
    Here's the reason I'll continue to let them try to install the HS... I've been in their shoes. Until TIG welding became derigueur there were this things called "lugs" and they held all the tubes of the frame together. When frame makers were using lugs the shipping options were fewer and les reliable. Every frame I received would get a full prep involving not just facing the hs & bb but checking the fork & rear stay alignment, flexhoning the seat tube and running a tap through all the bolt holes. Rarely but sometimes a frame would show up damaged. A few times damaged enough I had to fire up the torch and replace a tube rather than sending it back to England or Italy. Getting it repainted here wasn't an issue.

My point is this, I was inclined to take 30 minutes (or less) to do the same thing. The head tube On*One uses isn't reinforced in a way that will prevent the minor dent from being mostly removed and a decent hs being installed. It isn't aluminum (I saw a head tube split on a Vitus once) or Ti so I think they'll be successful.

For a guy who calls himself "Caffeine Powered", you're one calm individual I think there's a place in Heaven for you.

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by WTB-rider
    For a guy who calls himself "Caffeine Powered", you're one calm individual .

Thank my Doc... it's the meds.

Members who have read this thread: 0