mtbr member
    May 2005

Improving center-pull brakes

Hi,

I have an old Rockhopper I've converted to a singlespeed. Is there a way to improve the stopping power of the center-pull brakes or convert them to a new style?

Witty McWitterson
    Get new pads, and new cables if you want to go cheap and improve performance. I'm betting the stock pads that are on there(if they're still there) are hard and dry. Some new pds will do wonders for ya. If you want to go more spendy, the boom of cyclocrossing has graced this world with some great new canti's(what you called centerpulls). Check out anything from Spooky(what I run on my CX), Paul, Empella, Avid, SHimano, Tektro and others. They're better cause they're wider and offer tons of stopping power, with better feel than V's or Discs, especailly if set up right. Forgive the geary content, I'm only showin' the brakes!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member

I guess mine would improve

My 92 SS Klein still has the stock pads. Maybe it is time to get new pads. People do seem to notice the high pitch squeek from the front.
    Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~
    Get new pads, and new cables if you want to go cheap and improve performance. I'm betting the stock pads that are on there(if they're still there) are hard and dry. Some new pds will do wonders for ya. If you want to go more spendy, the boom of cyclocrossing has graced this world with some great new canti's(what you called centerpulls). Check out anything from Spooky(what I run on my CX), Paul, Empella, Avid, SHimano, Tektro and others. They're better cause they're wider and offer tons of stopping power, with better feel than V's or Discs, especailly if set up right. Forgive the geary content, I'm only showin' the brakes!

paintbucket
    I bet the folks on the retro board would go to town on this.

Since you didn't post a pic this is a guess, but most late cantis came with a crappy, non-adjustable straddle cable/hanger. So aside from what Martini said, what you want to do is find a new hanger for it and then rig up a new, shorter straddle cable. That will give you significantly more leverage on the calipers. Experiment to find the best compromise between lever feel and leverage. Well set up cantis are very effective stoppers.

Or you can just buy some v-brakes for the bike. The posts are the same.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

"Mr. Britannica"
    Quote Originally Posted by wooglin
    I bet the folks on the retro board would go to town on this.

Since you didn't post a pic this is a guess, but most late cantis came with a crappy, non-adjustable straddle cable/hanger. So aside from what Martini said, what you want to do is find a new hanger for it and then rig up a new, shorter straddle cable. That will give you significantly more leverage on the calipers. Experiment to find the best compromise between lever feel and leverage. Well set up cantis are very effective stoppers.

Or you can just buy some v-brakes for the bike. The posts are the same.

Yeah, most find v-brakes easier to set up too... but he will need new levers for the v's.

mtbr member

you want the angle of dangle...

...between the straddle cable, and the line drawn between the attachment point of the cable to the brake arm and the attachment of the brake arm to the seat stay. (got it?) to be around 90 degrees- a right angle. less =spongey but more power, more = rubbish.

there you go...