imposter seeks rigid fork advice- Mtbr.com
    the bomb

imposter seeks rigid fork advice

Imposter because I don't own a single speed. I know. I'm sorry.

But�I do have some questions about a rigid fork and thought this would be a good place to ask.

So, I have a beater 2002 giant youcon and would like to put a rigid fork on it. Right now it has the old rock shock jet kickin, but I hate the darn thing. It's essentially a very heavy pogo stick

I'd like to ride it on the road a bit when it's too wet to ride dirt so making it lighter would be another benefit.

How do I go about finding a CHEAP rigid fork that will give me similar geometry to what I have now?

In looking for rigid forks so far I've seen terms such as "suspension corrected" but that would depend on travel right. Also if a measurement is provided as axel to crown - what exactly does that mean? Axcel to that start of the steer tube? what exactly do they mean by crown?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

pfunk
    Womanhood ain't for sissies.- oldbroad

ballbuster

Try here:

IIRC, you can get rigid forks at bikeman.com

Their forks here:

http://www.bikemannetwork.com/Mercha...ode=COMPFKMTNR

Where's Toto?
    Kona makes a pretty nice rigid called the Project 2 for about $60. Surly also offers a similiar model. Both of these are steel. Kinesis makes a nice aluminum version but the price goes to about $140.

eBay would be my choice or the LBS. Should be able to find a used one for a couple bucks. Make sure you find one that fits your head angle though. Need to take a couple of measurements.

Two measurements to worry about. The first is steer tube length. This is pretty much a no brainer, but make sure you leave enough length for stem and a few spacers.

The second measurement is the distance from the axle to the crown race (where the lower headset race sits). Using a tape measure, find the distance between the top of the front portion of the race ring (where the headset mounts) and the center line of the front axle. These are some general, but not foolproof guidelines to help achieve the correct fit. If your bike is a 1996 model or older look ofr a fork with an axle to crown of around 413mm. If your bike is a 1997 model or newer look for an axle to crown of about 425 mm. Be aware that some manufacturers pay no attention to industry standards in which case only a direct measurement will be accurate.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    You might also want to hit up The Path Bike Shop
    They have many different rigid forks in stock. Surly, Viscious, Kelly sometimes, Planet X, Bianchi...they often have take-off forks from new builds that are sold a bit cheaper than spankin' nu. Worth a try.

the bomb

another possible stupid question

I plan to run v's with this fork.

The surly forks have canti mounts. They don't seem to have any that say v brake mounts. Do Canti mounts work for v brakes?

Derailleurs owned: 0

413mm

V-brake and cantilever mounts are the same.

Do not try to find a rigid fork with same axle-to-crown as your suspension fork...

The Rock Shox Jett is 365mm compressed to 430mm extended

A rigid fork around 413mm(16-1/4") should be about right. Under 400mm(15-3/4") would be too short.

-Tange would be the cheapest ~$43 (make sure you get the suspension corrected version)
    -Surly 1x1 (non-disc) is slightly more $(~50)/slightly heavier/much stronger
    -Surly 1x1 (post & disc) about $70

There are always a bunch of rigid forks on ebay, most will not be right for your bike... just be sure to ask seller about axle-to-crown and (1-1/8" threadless) steer tube length BEFORE BIDDING. Avoid 1 inch and/or threaded steer tubes and older non-suspension corrected forks.

I agree with Padre, I bought 1 of my D.I.S.S. forks from the path bike shop... webcyclery.com is good too.

Quote Originally Posted by pfunk

The surly forks have canti mounts. They don't seem to have any that say v brake mounts. Do Canti mounts work for v brakes?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by pfunk

Same thing. Vs fit canti mounts. No worries.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

the bomb

thanks for the info

think I'm set now. You guys rock!