Impact of weight on gearing- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Impact of weight on gearing

I'm a SS nub riding a 28 pound Haro Mary. It's currently 34x20 which seems perfect in the two rides I've had. I just ordered a set of Dave Thomas wheels which will save about 2.5 pounds (including savings from tubeless). The Am. Classic hub comes with a 19T rear cog. I'm thinking the 34x19 may 'feel' easier to pedal due to the significant weight savings. I know weight doesn't have an affect on actual gearing just curious your thoughts on how weight impacts the feel of how a bike is geared.

Thanks for your help.

bhc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have a Haro Mary. Stock wheels - 32 x 20 seemed like a strong push. Lighter wheels - 32 x 18 climbed much better.

mtbr member
    The lighter wheels wil accelerate a little faster and it might feel a bit easier to move the bike around on technical stuff but on a long climb at a more or less constant pace I don't think that you'll notice the difference (in my experience at least).
    Say (like me) you weigh 150 pounds and your bike another 25 - a couple of pounds off that 175 is neither here or there as far as gearing goes (again, IMHO).

Having said that, a nice light pair of wheels always makes a bike nicer to ride, but how much of that is all in the head and how much is physics I've never really spent time working out.
    It's all good anyway !

mtbr member
    Pushing a 38X20 on my Industry 9/ 355 wheel set is a little easier than on my Hope/Arch straight gauge wheel. So yep, lighter wheels definitely help, but I'm not sure that it's a tooth on the cog worth of difference.
    read KNOBBY MEATS or be sadly ignorant of the mediocrity that is allowed to exist in the interwebs

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Lighter wheels definitely make a difference, but IMHO tyre profile is more significant.

Members who have read this thread: 0