I'm totally hooked on SS Rigid- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

I'm totally hooked on SS Rigid

Ok, I've been riding the SS rigid thang for about one month now and I'm hooked. My FS sits most of the week and I've been on the SS regularly. The simplicity of the machine, the way it handles, more focus on the trail instead of shifting gears is exhilarating. Some climbs in my area are really tough for a SS but I don't mind grinding away or pushing/carrying bike since it's a WHOLE lot lighter than my FS. I can't wait to go home to ride. When I ride with my 2 boys I grab the SS.... I feel like a kid again!

mtbr member
    see!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bgfthntr
    Ok, I've been riding the SS rigid thang for about one month now and I'm hooked. My FS sits most of the week and I've been on the SS regularly. The simplicity of the machine, the way it handles, more focus on the trail instead of shifting gears is exhilarating. Some climbs in my area are really tough for a SS but I don't mind grinding away or pushing/carrying bike since it's a WHOLE lot lighter than my FS. I can't wait to go home to ride. When I ride with my 2 boys I grab the SS.... I feel like a kid again!

You've been at the Kool-Aid again, haven't you?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I'm totally hooked on SS Rigid-kool-aid-3.jpg  

Out spokin'
    A whole 'nuther Kool-Aid flavor... 29" wheels.

Don't thank me.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Ditto. Unless the ride is epic, I grab the Rigid SS 29r.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm a recent inductee into this club as well. Love the way I can look around for the scenery and enjoy the exercise, never having to look ahead trying to anticipate what gear to shift into.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by rocdoc
    Love the way I can look around for the scenery ....
    I am too busy coping with the trail, to look around for the scenery, on my new rigid singlespeed. But I am getting the hang of how to ride that bike. I am no longer afraid the bike will break my wrists as soon I see a root

Occasionally engagedů
    Quote Originally Posted by bgfthntr
    Ok, I've been riding the SS rigid thang for about one month now and I'm hooked.
    Each spring I wonder if I'm getting too old for the SS rigid thing, but as I get into shape I realize I'm still young enough (at 50). I've probably done about 150 bike races (road and mtb) over the past 30 years, and I've won exactly 3 -- all of them on a SS rigid 29er racing against mostly younger guys on all types of bikes in the local race (the "sport" category). After my most recent win earlier this year the guy in 2nd asked how much faster I could have gone on a "regular" bike. I gave him an honest answer: most definitely slower. On the courses we have around my area, if the race is 2 hours or less I am significantly faster on the singlespeed than my on my multi-geared bike (which also happens to be rigid). I don't like to get all evangelical about SS riding 'cause I figure that many folks would find themselves faster on a rigid SS and I really hope to win another race again someday. As I get older and like pain less it's just too tempting to shift down (if I'm riding that type of bike) when the hill gets steep. The SS just makes me get after it and that's where I make my time -- nothing climbs like a rigid singlespeed!
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

mtbr member
    It is fun!

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
    I'm in the same boat. I have 2 Meridas (1 carbon HT and a NinetySix dually) and they are both gathering dust. Anytime I ride, its on my rigid ss avanti 29r. Absolutely love the bike. For the $700 I paid for it, its been the best money Ive ever spent on a bike (well, until my Titus Ti Rockstar arrives). It just goes. It teaches me to ride lose, and smooth. Just love it.

Even raced it in 3 6hr enduros now, and have done better than I had done on my 26'rs. Even placing 8th in one race (which, if you saw me, you'd be like wtf?).

I just love how it forces you to attack, forces you to commit, and love how people all think youre a nutter after 6 hours racing, and youre still beaming a grin.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I just finished a local loop of mine. I did it in 49 minutes. I was dying the whole time, but I think I've never gone faster. I keep thinking I'll try a sussy fork, but I just love it the way it is. My hands are the only thing that worries me. My new carbon Carnegie bar seems to have helped a little though...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    I just finished a local loop of mine. I did it in 49 minutes. I was dying the whole time, but I think I've never gone faster. I keep thinking I'll try a sussy fork, but I just love it the way it is. My hands are the only thing that worries me. My new carbon Carnegie bar seems to have helped a little though...
    I'm finding on the rolling terrain near my home that I'm shaving time off the loop when riding the SS.

Try Ergon grips. They made a difference on both my FS and SS.

I still ride my FS in more extreme conditions (steep climbs, heavy rooted and rocky areas) but this SS rigid thing is great!
    Last edited by bgfthntr; 07-23-2010 at 09:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Converted my SS to rigid this week, doing my first race on it tomorrow, I cannot wait!!

Dive Bomber
    Ever since I rebuild my SS MTB I got totally hooked. Every single day I always want to ride, not fast speed but fast spinning.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    So for you guys who have to think about shifting; does it hurt? Your brain I mean. Or do you get distracted and crash? Do you need little indicator windows on your shifter? Lol!!

I dont recall having to really think about shifting, but I sure do shift alot. Its just second nature. Dont give up on gears because they frustrate you. Im way faster on my geared bikes. Even my geared bike that weighs 5 pounds more than my SS puts out faster times on most of my trails. My geared bike that weighs 3 pounds less than my SS is omgwtfbbq fast!!

I love my single speed though. I dont feel as bad about not lubing the chain (lol!) and it doesnt bother me to ride it in the wet. I also ride it when Im just cruising around with friends.

Drink the kool-aid, but keep it to yourself lol

Gears rule

Ovaries on the Outside
    Glad you are loving the rigid SS. I've been loving my front suspension. First time I've had that in years and learning to pick sharp lines are really helping my overall speed.

I like to think I'm faster on SS for a lot of reasons, but there are times when gears would help. Just not in the places that geared riders think it would.

Quote Originally Posted by SmilMick
    Drink the kool-aid, but keep it to yourself lol

Gears rule
    Non SSer homer on the SS forums! Get him.

Dive Bomber
    Shifting is good if you have a comfort shifter.
    I use the cheap Alivio nice thumb-index finger shifter, but still hate waiting the chain to slide and the impact on changing gears.

Low Rep Count
    I am definitely an SSr but I will tell you the truth, riding gears every once in a while is nice. I can honestly say that riding my SS has made me faster when riding gears now. I have learned what gearing my body can handle over different terrain. I think individuals that rock gears only all too often cheat themselves. They often drop down to a gear that is just way too easy for them when climbing. I have found that it has helped me when out on a road bike as well. While I ride SS and love it and don't plan on building another mtb with gears any time soon, I still say that gears are simply more efficient. I mean, that is exactly what they were designed for. The same thing goes with ergo/sti shift levers or even hydration systems. Without them you will work harder or not use them.

IE, back before ergo/sti levers, riders often would just push through the harder gear when climbing. This in turn made you stronger over the course of riding but caused you to use more energy. Same goes for the hydration issue. It is much easier to grab the straw and stick it in your mouth while on the fly vs reaching down to grab a bottle. Therefore you tend to drink more water and stay better hydrated. Not to mention less crap hanging off your bike!

mtbr member
    I love riding SS and geared. Doesn't really matter to me, it's whatever I'm into at the time. I've (like many) have a passion for cycling that starts from childhood. SSing is another way for me to express and enjoy that passion.

Since I've been riding the SS (only about 6 weeks now) I've become stronger. Like 1SPD mentioned it has made me a faster rider when I ride my FS Geared bike.

Will I go exclusively ALL SS? Probably not but it has become a major part of my riding!

I get the SS thing!

enjoy and ride!

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by jackspade
    Shifting is good if you have a comfort shifter.
    I use the cheap Alivio nice thumb-index finger shifter, but still hate waiting the chain to slide and the impact on changing gears.
    I use my handlebar bell to shift on my SS.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Low Rep Count
    Don't get me wrong, if I had the funding I would have another bike and it would have a bunch of frickn gears on it. But it would be a road bike! Unfortunately, I only have one bike for now. It is what it is. I am sure I could scrape some things together and build something up as I have a frame sitting in the basement (cheap alu road frame) but I am frickn spoiled after riding/racing road bikes for so long. I don't think I can ride anything other than Campy Chours or the new Ultegra at a minimum. Sad but I am a road snob in that way. 3 of my past 4 road bikes have had Record on them and the last one had Sram Red (hated that crap!). So slapping some 105 on there just won't work for me. So, one bike it is! One bike, one Gear! hence the screen name = 1SPD!

Suffering Mightily
    Been riding a rigid fork exclusively for about 5 years now. With tubeless tires, I actually enjoy the ride so much more than a suspension fork. The precise steering, lighter weight, and unmatched climbing efficiency makes the rigid fork the weapon of choice for me. There are the occasional trails where I am thinking, "Boy, I wish I had a suspension fork on here," but it's not often.
    Without freedom of choice, there is no creativity. Without creativity, there is no life. The body dies.

Low Rep Count
    I feel the same. I do think I could be a little faster on a few sections of my local trails but I am surviving without it. Personally, I think my bike looks so much better with my sexy White Brothers fork on it! That alone is enough for me. Sorry, I'm a carbon hore.

Dive Bomber
    I gave up on gears because I am too lazy, it's easier to pedal faster than move my fingers for shifting LOL.

Sup
    already did the single speed ridged thing
    been there, seen that, done it

doing it again tomorrow

Members who have read this thread: 0