I'm running a wipperman 1G8- Mtbr.com
    Cyclist

I'm running a wipperman 1G8

Picked up the beast from Larry Metler. Thanks Larry.

Just thought I would through this out to the boards, especially if someone is searching months from now. I previously ran a ScRAM PC-1 and liked that chain. But I figured what the heck, I would try this. It's not light and it looks strong. I'll try and post back in a few months with my feedback.

for comparison,

on the left, a ScRAM PC 69. Middle is a ScRAM PC 1 and right is the wipperman 1g8

My setup.
    Chri$ King Steel 20t, Profile 3 pc cranks and a Black$pire front ring.

Cheers

Last edited by striker; 11-05-2004 at 06:33 PM. Reason: more info
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

My cycling photos. Enjoy!

Out spokin'

Holy smoke

That thing is a chain and a half, ain't it.

How much $$?

Let's see if it stretches... looks like it won't!

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Is the Wip a 1/8". The PC69 is a nine speed chain, and IMO, the PC68 is better for SS.

used to be uno-speedo....
    Love mine.

I have to use a Park CT-7 for maintenance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

JJT
    mtbr member
    Isn't it a problem to use the wide 1/8" chain on 3/32" cogs and rings?

Contrarian
    Quote Originally Posted by JJT
    Isn't it a problem to use the wide 1/8" chain on 3/32" cogs and rings?
    Not really. What problems would you expect?
    Don't you guys ever talk about anything apart from bikes?
    www.shitshifter.com

JJT
    mtbr member
    I don't know, there will be play from left to right, don't know if that will be a problem, maybe cause more wear on the ring/cog or will cause the chain to skip..

But none of these?

Contrarian
    Quote Originally Posted by JJT
    I don't know, there will be play from left to right, don't know if that will be a problem, maybe cause more wear on the ring/cog or will cause the chain to skip..

But none of these?
    No, it works fine. If you're that way inclined it means you can be more lazy about changing worn cogs and chainrings because any burrs don't catch on the chain
    Don't you guys ever talk about anything apart from bikes?
    www.shitshifter.com

JJT
    mtbr member
    Thanks, I will order and try one, they look like they will hold forever

Cyclist

mountain high cyclery

Sparty, I sent you a PM. Larry can post his prices in public if he wants.

No play at all in the chain, in fact, I have less play than before because it's so wide and sit's tight against the bash gaurd. It's a 1/8 chain designed for BMX or bulldozers as my brother said when he saw it.

Not sure about the wear ratio. That's one reason I'm trying it but I suspect it will last longer just because it's thicker and bigger. I'm pretty constant with going through a front chain ring once a year with my level of riding.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

Kam
    A hopped on pop.

thanks for posting...

hey striker...thanks for posting this. i have been mulling over getting a new chain. the sram pc-58 on my ss stretches alot. it seems i am taking up chainslack after every 3-4 rides. this baby should do just fine!!!

what tool do you use for the chain??? i usually use the tool on my crank bros. micro 17 tool...i doubt that this tool will fork for this chain.

cheers!
    Last edited by Kam; 11-06-2004 at 04:19 PM. Reason: s

Quote Originally Posted by Kam
    what tool do you use for the chain??? i usually use the tool on my crank bros. micro 17 tool...i doubt that this tool will fork for this chain.
    I use the Park CT-7.

but Diggin the 1 x 14 too

Park CT-7

Quote Originally Posted by uno-speedo
    I use the Park CT-7.
    VERY nice ride by the way!
    ......just curious - do you carry the CT-7 on every ride for trailside repairs? i know they are fairly weighty as chain tools go!

Quote Originally Posted by 2gears=1speed
    VERY nice ride by the way!
    Thanks! Its for salw btw. Check out the classifieds.

.....just curious - do you carry the CT-7 on every ride for trailside repairs? i know they are fairly weighty as chain tools go!
    No and your right its a beast of tool. I'm pretty confident I won't have any issues with it on the trail...I hope.

Cyclist

Ct-3

I installed the wipperman 1g8 with my standard Park CT-3 chain tool. It was tight and I had the pin dialed all the way back to fit the chain in.

I carry a CT-5 in my pack with me and have used it successfully on SRAM 1/8 chains. I'll try that mini tool tonight with the leftover section of Wipperman and let you know. Could be an issue for me, not sure yet.

chain toolz

Quote Originally Posted by striker
    I installed the wipperman 1g8 with my standard Park CT-3 chain tool. It was tight and I had the pin dialed all the way back to fit the chain in.

I carry a CT-5 in my pack with me and have used it successfully on SRAM 1/8 chains. I'll try that mini tool tonight with the leftover section of Wipperman and let you know. Could be an issue for me, not sure yet.
    i would be curious to know if the mini CT-5 works, i have one too and MAY want to try the 1g8 chain later on, so knowing that the mini CT-5 tool works (for trailside repairs) would be helpful - personally i would not WANT to carry a ct-3 or ct-7 in my pack as they are both beefy tools and my pack is already WAY up there in weight! my ct-5 Does work on my KMC 710 (1/8") chain too!

"Mr. Britannica"
    speaking of tools, the new CT-6 looks pretty trick, no idea if it will work on 1/8"

chain tools

Quote Originally Posted by roadiegonebad
    speaking of tools, the new CT-6 looks pretty trick, no idea if it will work on 1/8"
    i dashed off an email to PARK: "i am curious to know if the CT-6 Folding chain tool can accommodate wider BMX style 1/8 inch chains with thicker side plates?"

PARK wrote: "The CT-6 will not work on most 1/8 inch chain. The CT-7 is a much
    better choice. We did not consider that someone might take a tool along for a ride
    with the 1/8" chain."
    (personally i am left wondering WHY wouldn't we?) they go on to say " ...We do not have a take-along-tool for this
    purpose."

Hope This Helps.
    Last edited by 2gears=1speed; 11-08-2004 at 03:54 PM.

Cyclist

CT-5 works

The Park CT-5 works on the wipperman 1g8 chain. I tried it last night on the piece of leftover chain I had. It is definitely tight fitting and you have to seat it closest to the handle/lever. It took a tremendous amount of force to push the wipperman pin out, but I got it out. I'm going to carry an extra pin for the CT-5 in case I break one while trying to fix my chain somewhere.

We should email Park this thread and enlighten them about 1/8 chains and single speeding.

Good stuff in this thread.

CT-5 and Wippermann

The Park CT-5 works on the wipperman 1g8 chain. I tried it last night on the piece of leftover chain I had. It is definitely tight fitting and you have to seat it closest to the handle/lever. It took a tremendous amount of force to push the wipperman pin out, but I got it out. I'm going to carry an extra pin for the CT-5 in case I break one while trying to fix my chain somewhere.

We should email Park this thread and enlighten them about 1/8 chains and single speeding.

Good stuff in this thread.
    thanks for the follow-up Striker, good to know that the little CT-5 CAN work in an emergency. ...i know that the Wipperman 1G8 chain is beefy and strong - but still, i think any chain CAN break given the right situation. Also - great idea about the Spare Tool PIN.

banned

running one for a while now

I've been running one since July.

It does stretch...a little.

As far as carrying a chain tool specifically for it, I don't see a need. It's a monster, even under a 225lb freak on a 2:1 ratio.

Most frequent question (a la Seinfeld asking George about his chinchilla hat purchased on the Peterman expense account), "Why didn't you get the big one?"

It's worked fine on both a Spot front ring and ENO, though the ENO doesn't seem to be wearing all that well. It doesn't seem to be causing any problems for the ACS freewheel either.

My only complaint and it's just a nit-pick, it doesn't hold lube too well compared to "normal" chains.

Cyclist

I was running a Wipperman 1g8

until it broke.

Sunday's ride my wipperman 1g8 chain broke. The quick link (similar to S RAM's gold link) snapped and exploded. I couldn't even find it. I have had S ram links break before too.

It was 19 miles into a 27 mile ride. Ended up Fred Flinstoning it back to my truck and throwing on a PC-1. The Park chain tool I had tested with the wipperman was mysteriously missing from my camelbak so I was screwed. I'm now running the 1g8 again sans the quick link and carrying the right tools.

Other than this failure, the chain is running great.

now back to your regularly scheduled forum stuff...

just curious...????

until it broke.

Sunday's ride my wipperman 1g8 chain broke. The quick link (similar to S RAM's gold link) snapped and exploded. I couldn't even find it. I have had S ram links break before too.
    ...just wondering - IF you know, how many miles did you have on yours when the Quick link gave out? ...thanks!

Boyeeee
    Where can I get one of these chains? Google and QBike have turned up empty

I want to ride my bicycle
    Jan 2004

bikeman has them. . .

Quote Originally Posted by BCBlur
    Where can I get one of these chains? Google and QBike have turned up empty
    Bikeman has them. . .I think they are listed under the name "Connex" rather than Wippermann . . .

Cold. Blue. Steel.

great post!

i have always subscribed to the theory that it is better to replace your chain 2-3 times a year than to replace your cassette and chainrings once a year. way less expensive and your drivetrain runs better when not wearing out the sprockets themselves.

of course, we don't use cassettes, but we do use $45 cogs and even more expensive chainrings. i never want my chain to break, and i certainly don't want it to skip (i don't have problems with either running a KMC Z-chain) but the burlier the chain, the less it would seem to wear and the more it would tear up those expensive cogs and rings. just a theory- can anyone back this or knock this theory??

last thought; a narrow chain has narrower, and thus stronger, pins. less leverage is applied agains a narrow bridge between chain plates...
    Spinning and Grinning...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Surly's Take On Chains

Surly's Take On Chains

Click this link and read number four on the list.

http://www.surlybikes.com/spew3.html

Surly Bike Blog
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster." - Greg Lemond

Cyclist

read it and disagree with it completely

Quote Originally Posted by lftripp33
    Surly's Take On Chains

Click this link and read number four on the list.

http://www.surlybikes.com/spew3.html

Surly Bike Blog

I have proven with my own un scientific ways that I get better results and longer duration by using a good solid BMX wider bigger chain than using an 8/9 speed chain on my SS. Been there, broke the chains and moved on.

Nice read though.

Cyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by 2gears=1speed
    ...just wondering - IF you know, how many miles did you have on yours when the Quick link gave out? ...thanks!

3 months and I would guess 300 miles give or take 25?

mtbr member
    dangit, threads like this make me thing i need a new chain on a soon to be built bike.