Sofa King We Todd Did

I'm reminded why I enjoy riding my singlespeed

What could've been an enjoyable ride over the weekend, turned into a mediocre and often frustrating one. I took my Cannondale Jekyll out to play yesterday. This bloody bike is everything that my singlespeed bikes aren't. Hydraulic brakes, sweet Lefty fork, 27-speed drivetrain, rear shock with remote lockout. It was that last bit that pretty much crapped it for me. The remote switch for the rear shock didn't work and even when I could get it to work, the rear shock started scraping against the frame and wouldn't lockout all the way. Spent pretty much the entire ride completely distracted by the rear shock and how it wasn't working right. As a result, I kept overshifting, was constantly in the wrong gear going up or going down.

Halfway through, I realized that I really should've just kept this beast at home and brought the fully rigid featherweight singlespeed bike instead. I'll be smarter about that next weekend for sure.

mtbr member
    see...if you were riding a Turner you'd be wondering why you ever bother with the SS.

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Uhm, yeah. That's it, I'm sure.

mtbr member
    I hear you there!! I put in a good ride this weekend on my f/s gearie and after miles and miles of shifting problems I finally made it back to the car.

If I just took the time to get my ss put back together....

Can you eat too much chinese??

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambone
    see...if you were riding a Turner you'd be wondering why you ever bother with the SS.
    Turner, Titus, Ventana (besides El Toro of course).....just not the same thing, period.

SpinWheelz, a few months ago I would have thought your silly little SS cult was for weirdos, which it is of course, but now, I have yet to ride my geared bike worth many multiples of my $700 fully rigid SS since I bought this SS a couple of months ago off ebay.

Now if you catch me eatin granola or huggin trees, then shoot me!!!

cheers
    Last edited by FoShizzle; 05-16-2005 at 01:14 PM.

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Quote Originally Posted by gatman
    If I just took the time to get my ss put back together...
    And that episode was the kick in the pants to finish putting my bike back together again after I attempted a tires and wheel change. Of course, in a few weeks, I'm hoping to swap that frame out...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    What could've been an enjoyable ride over the weekend, turned into a mediocre and often frustrating one. I took my Cannondale Jekyll out to play yesterday. This bloody bike is everything that my singlespeed bikes aren't. Hydraulic brakes, sweet Lefty fork, 27-speed drivetrain, rear shock with remote lockout. It was that last bit that pretty much crapped it for me. The remote switch for the rear shock didn't work and even when I could get it to work, the rear shock started scraping against the frame and wouldn't lockout all the way. Spent pretty much the entire ride completely distracted by the rear shock and how it wasn't working right. As a result, I kept overshifting, was constantly in the wrong gear going up or going down.

Halfway through, I realized that I really should've just kept this beast at home and brought the fully rigid featherweight singlespeed bike instead. I'll be smarter about that next weekend for sure.
    I too, have a Cannondale Jekyll. Its the 2001 team model in which I swapped the Headshock fork for a Lefty Max fork. I love this bike, I've ridden Turners, Intenses, Specialized,etc. I think it is comparable to all of those, however, I do spend more time on my singlespeed than any one of my other of my off road bikes.

I ride a Bianchi DISS which I custom made a steerer tube so I can run a Lefty on it.
    It has Hope hydralics, Hurricane cranks and stem, Easton EC 90sl bars, SDG I-Beam seatpost and saddle. I really like this bike too

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hurricane
    It has Hope hydralics, Hurricane cranks and stem, Easton EC 90sl bars, SDG I-Beam seatpost and saddle. I really like this bike too

Humm.... Jeff Hurricane riding Hurricane cranks and stem..... Any relation to the maker here?? I think I could do stems, but cranks would be a little out of my league.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gatman
    Humm.... Jeff Hurricane riding Hurricane cranks and stem..... Any relation to the maker here?? I think I could do stems, but cranks would be a little out of my league.
    Yeah.......I was the owner of Hurricane Components. I sold the company and its patents back in July, '04 after licensing the company since September '02

The owner called me last week and asked if I would be interested to come and work for them....I think I will, on a very part time basis.

I've now started a singlespeed, fixed gear, cylocross shop, www.1speeddrive.com
    I don't have the site up and running yet, keep posted...