I'm Jones'N for Crank- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

I'm Jones'N for Crank

I would like to replace my current crank arms with something new. What would you guys say are the top quality SS cranks out there. Throw out the ENO and I would prefer black arms but color doesn't really matter. I may go XTR but would like to hear what you thought.

Reviewer/Tester
    FSA K-Force Meg-Exo carbon.

Very sexai..

R.
    It is inevitable ...

el cheapo
    Aug 2005
    I have to step back on my bmx parts soap box and say some of the BMX cranksets are worth a look. Profile cranks come in just about any length you can want, they are cheap to upgrade to a ti spindle to shave some weight, and will hold up to some major abuse. I run Primo Powerbites with the original chromoly spindle, if they're strong enough for every bmx bike I own they are more than sufficient for my SS. I do plan on getting ti hardware and an aluminum spindle for it though considering the powerbites are a little portly to begin with. There are also lighter versions called the hollowbites. There are WAY more options out there, these are just the tip of the iceberg. The 41 Thermal cranks from Odyssey are great as well! As for sprocket options, there are titanium and other various lightweight options from manufacturers in every tooth size from 23 (maybe even 22) all the way up to 48+.
    I am CHEAP

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

If You want.........

Quote Originally Posted by evidence120
    I would like to replace my current crank arms with something new. What would you guys say are the top quality SS cranks out there. Throw out the ENO and I would prefer black arms but color doesn't really matter. I may go XTR but would like to hear what you thought.
    To go with the external bearing type I say go with the LX. I have all three versions, (XTR,XT,LX) There are only a few ounces between all three. The XTR's are WAAAY over priced and require a 102mm. chainring. (expensive and very few options on sizes) The XT and LX use the same, 104mm. standard and You will have tons of options for ring size and brand. Also the LX can be had cheap enough for leftover beer money. (or more parts)

mtbr member
    I thought that the XTR cranks use a spiderless chainring. Are the Saint and Hone cranks made for dh, freeride and really heavy? I am thinking that $193 for the XT is what I might go with.

mtbr member

XT's

I thought that the XTR cranks use a spiderless chainring. Are the Saint and Hone cranks made for dh, freeride and really heavy? I am thinking that $193 for the XT is what I might go with.
    I have the XT's and they are great. However if I was to do it again I would go with the LX's.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

The previous.

Version of XTR cranks used the spiderless design Those were the dull gray, not the shiny version like now.

Retrograde Customs
    I'm jones'n for some green turbines.
    Retrograde Customs

me likey bikey
    The hone and lx cranks are just about one and the same. Hones come in black though are look a treat (I use them).

HOWEVER I think they only come at 175mm so if you're after longer cranks like some like to run on their ss I think you'll have to upgrade to the xt.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I`m happy with my Middelburn SS cranks. Pretty light, stiff and the look good.
    But they come only in 32 teeth option.

(was) Big in Japan

180?

If so - XT HollowTech 2s. Stiffer that Grandma's hipjoint. Light. Cheap. Free set of three chainrings.

175 - Hone - cheaper, black.

I must say that I LOVE the ability to spy on people through my BB.
    Last edited by TheSingleGuy; 09-09-2005 at 11:46 PM. Reason: i
    Ride.

Drinker w/ Riding Problem

Yellow Turbines

Yellow Race Face Turbines...175mm square tapered
    Attached Images Attached Images

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by brado1
    Yellow Race Face Turbines...175mm square tapered
    damn....now you have me thinking! i have an opportunity to buy some yellow NEXT LPs but was worried how they would look on a blue frame.....not bad my friend!

J_T
    Pale-ale-ontologist

180mm XTR's on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/XTR-Crank-Arms-Single-Speed-Singlespeed_W0QQitemZ7181450624QQcategoryZ56193QQr dZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Kind of pricey though. But spiderless is a clean option if money isn't a factor.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    i just got the new external bearing lx's and while i never notice much as far as different crank stiffnesses go these are NOTICABLY stiffer than anything i have ridden so far (square taper or isis).

i really like them!

Recovering Weight Weenie
    The Profiles are the cats meoww.....a pain to set up but super-extra-wowser stiff.
    Please note how the Turbines worked for me.

mtbr member
    I really like the look of spiderless XTR w/ Boone. Were the older XT or LX spiderless? I may go with the Hone b/c it's a good price, looks beefy and has Hollowtech 2 stiffness. I just don't understand what type of BB these external bearing cranks use. Are they Isis, Square or Octalink? Someone mentioned it would take either but could someone please elaborate. Starting to visualize a Boone on that Hone. AHHH

(was) Big in Japan
    I just don't understand what type of BB these external bearing cranks use. Are they Isis, Square or Octalink? Someone mentioned it would take either but could someone please elaborate. AHHH
    They are a new system that uses none of the above. Separate bearing "cups" that screw into your bb shell on each side. The BB axle is fixed to the drive side crank. Works really well, is way stiff. More good news is that the "BB" is included with the cranks when you buy it - so no need to spend extra money - they come with all the parts you need to get going.

If only Hone cranks were available in 180mm! Just one more of the Shimano mysteries...but I guess it helps sales of their more expensive cranksets.

I dont have a photo handy, sorry, so I hope the above explanation is clear enough.
    Ride.

mtbr member
    Thank you for the great explanation. I have a 73mm English BB. Are these cranks compatible with all BB's or will I need to order a specific size/type? Are there any chain line issues with these? I never thought much about changing crank length I have just always had 175mm. I think I need to do some crank length pros/cons older post searching.

(was) Big in Japan
    Thank you for the great explanation. I have a 73mm English BB. Are these cranks compatible with all BB's or will I need to order a specific size/type? Are there any chain line issues with these? I never thought much about changing crank length I have just always had 175mm. I think I need to do some crank length pros/cons older post searching.
    No worries! You should be good to go with that BB - the cranks are designed to fit everything and come with spacers to do so (and this also gives you a little chain line adjustment ability too). If you are going to install them yourself though, you will need to order the special wrench to install the bearing cups - it is a new design, but cost me less than $10.

My 2c regarding crank lengths is that longer is better. Not all agree though! If you are tall, IMO you should use long cranks on any bike, if average height - either will work (but I still vote 180s) and if you are not so tall, then I'd say 175s.

I really notice the difference with 180s, but then I also really noticed an additional improvement with the Hollowtech 2s. You may be happy with just the gain in stiffness, but if you go 180 you get double the benefit!

FWIW I'm about 5'10" and I have no trouble with the bigger circle that 180s describe, and I love the help they give me. 175s feel short to me now.

Good luck!
    Ride.

el cheapo
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    The Profiles are the cats meoww.....a pain to set up but super-extra-wowser stiff.
    Please note how the Turbines worked for me.
    just a note about stiffness, if you think your tubular chromoly profiles with their 19mm spindle are stiff imagine how stiff my solid aluminum Primo Powerbites are with their 22mm solid chromoly spindle 180mm of rock hard good lovin
    I am CHEAP