I'm PR'ing climbs now...- Mtbr.com
    Rent this space for $

I'm PR'ing climbs now...

On my rigid singlespeed.

Giggity

Not gnarly chunky tech stuff that I nail on the squishy carbon bike, but climbs that I have hammered out and been riding regularly for 3 years and figured that I had just gone as fast as I can.

Whodathunkit?

mtbr member
    Pedal or die.

Rent this space for $
    That's pretty much it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    It might not be the bike. I was on a really annoying plateau for a while until I switched up my training. Went from no PRs in months to occasionally snagging a PR without actually trying. Other segments that aren't PRs aren't far off my previous best. Going to a rigid SS from a geared carbon fully is very much a change in your training regimen. Just food for thought.

Rent this space for $
    It's not the bike, per se. It's the motor on the bike adjusting to the transmission.

WillWorkForTrail
    What really surprised me wasn't when I started PR'ing climbs on my SS, it was when I started PR'ing descents on it. Trying to eek out as much speed as I could on the downhills by using the brakes even less than I did before resulted in a couple of revelations, which evolved into PR's, which then fell again when I got back on the full squish bike. Yep. Riding SS has not just made me a stronger rider, but better all around.

mtbr member
    SS forces you to pedal harder to keep momentum, so it's no surprise that you're climbing faster on SS. it will wear you out faster in the long run though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    exactly,with gears you're gonna shift when your cadence drops,on a ss yah gotta get up and mash to get back on top of the gear so in general you're going to be moving much quicker over the longer,less steep sections and its often easier to just power sprint the short steeper stuff...

plus,theres nothing like gettin a little angry at a hill and yelling at it a bit,makes them a little less steep!

mtbr member
    May 2016
    My rigid SS has helped me get stronger and I have PR'd local climbs and routes with it...except for the more technical stuff with loose gravel. I'm still learning how to keep grip while standing and mashing on that stuff. As of right now there are two sections on my local trail where I stall out or the rear loses traction and spins and have to jump off. I'll get it eventually and I'm having fun trying but those sections I am faster on my full suspension bike.

Honestly, I find the rigid SS just plain fun, which makes me push a little harder. I am glad I own both a nice full squish and the SS.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    try an oval chainring...they really help with traction control...we have almost nothing but loose rocky climbs here and an oval ring really keeps the rear wheel from breaking loose...

psycho cyclo addict
    No big surprise that you scurrying up climbs faster on SS than a geared bike.

What may surprise you after riding SS for a while (building strength and endurance) is that you could also end up climbing faster on your geared bike too...

I know one guy who runs an oval ring on his SS... he's always behind me on climbs
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    congrats - and welcome to the rebellion young Jedi

Rent this space for $
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    What really surprised me wasn't when I started PR'ing climbs on my SS, it was when I started PR'ing descents on it. Trying to eek out as much speed as I could on the downhills by using the brakes even less than I did before resulted in a couple of revelations, which evolved into PR's, which then fell again when I got back on the full squish bike. Yep. Riding SS has not just made me a stronger rider, but better all around.
    Actually, that as happened, too. On the same trail I first PR'd a climbing segment, I also PR'd the reverse of it in downhill mode. I did a pretty good job of keeping up with the younger lads bombing it in front of me on their hardtail SS. That was the first day I had PR'd anything on the rigid bike.

Running downhill hard on the rigid really forces you to stay loose and pick your lines carefully. I haven't ridden my squishy bike since I bought this rigid other than out in the street last week. The slacker geo felt so foreign like the front just flopped from side to side. It was a stark difference. I need to get it out and get some miles on her, soon!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    i rolled 103k on my FS the other day and was a walk (ride) in the park - SS makes you tough and also makes riding FS fun b/c of the ease of it. I am 85% SS rigid riding since 2007

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have definitely been hitting PR's quite often on my rigid SS, both up and down. Plus, I prefer the workout on the SS, closer to an HIIT workout vs geared where it is mostly aerobic.

mtbr member
    You know, I was Anti Strava for years until I downloaded it on a lark because I wasn't happy using Map My Ride. So first time I use it I'm on my Jones Plus SS and afterwards I'm looking and see my times for all these trails I ride and immediately I start thinking that I can do better. Last night I bring my Bluto equipped ICT to the trails and figure I'll crank out some good times cause that bike just floats over the rocks and roots with the 4.6 tires. I had a good ride and felt like I killed it. I check Strava and found that I was faster on my rigid SS on every trail by 15 seconds to a minute than on the fatty with suspension and gears. Only thing to do now is to convert the fatty to SS!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaBass_ View Post
    You know, I was Anti Strava for years until I downloaded it on a lark because I wasn't happy using Map My Ride. So first time I use it I'm on my Jones Plus SS and afterwards I'm looking and see my times for all these trails I ride and immediately I start thinking that I can do better. Last night I bring my Bluto equipped ICT to the trails and figure I'll crank out some good times cause that bike just floats over the rocks and roots with the 4.6 tires. I had a good ride and felt like I killed it. I check Strava and found that I was faster on my rigid SS on every trail by 15 seconds to a minute than on the fatty with suspension and gears. Only thing to do now is to convert the fatty to SS!
    Strava is honestly great, if you don't get sucked into going after KOM's nonstop. I love it strictly to see my own progress, and for that is does its job excellently.

EAT MORE GRIME
    I miss my SS

PR all climbs on it too

but when I climb stairs, and both knees sound like heads of lettuce tearing
    with each step, (no pain though, just sound) I remember quick why I am back
    on gears and a high-cadence perfectionist

SS is real I been tossing the idea around again....dammit

Rent this space for $
    Like everything else, you gotz to knows your limitations! I'm being careful with the mashing. My knees are still good at 54 and I intend to keep them that way so I'm keeping it to the trails that lend themselves to pedalling my SS.

As for Strava...not to change the topic but I started with Strava from literally my first ride when I started recovery after my severe neck and leg failure incident/surgery correction. I'll likely never hold a KOM...or hold one for any any length of time if I did manage one, but I have inventoried every single ride I have done to date with the exception of maybe 1 or 2 where I had a Strava failure. That's over 3 years worth. It's been a great motivator, not so much from a competitive aspect but for the days when it really, really sucks and hurts and you want to just quit for a while only to find out that you PR'd the sh!t out of a bunch of the hard segments on that ride when you previously thought you were just slow. Lots of little things like that keep me motivated and coming back for more punishment when I could have easily let it beat me without any solid means of measurement or recording.

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by garcia View Post
    Strava is honestly great, if you don't get sucked into going after KOM's nonstop. I love it strictly to see my own progress, and for that is does its job excellently.
    Yes. I'm not a KOM hunter, and I don't even chase my own PR's, but I love when I go out feeling good, and have a playful ride, that's a lot of fun, and check later and find several PRs on it. That's personal progress. For those wondering how to turn strava on and ride without feeling like it's a PR chase - easy. The fundamental reason I use Strava is to track milage on my bikes for use in my maintenance logs. Well, that and road routes in places I've never been when I'm riding on the road.

pedal me happy
    Oct 2009
    Its funny that I set my fastest time riding to work on my SS. Its a mostly flat 10 mile ride with a mix of dirt bike path and some road sections too and on top of it I was running my tall gears which are 32x16 not very tall compared to my my race bike with gears. I just use the ride to push myself and get some rides in during the week. I still have a hard time understanding how it happened I must of been spinning like crazy.
    Its also funny how many people you can pass on climbs when you only have 1 gear you just know thats all you got so you hammer it out instead of being able to downshift. I have tried to ride my geared bike like a single speed and not shift but sooner or later you get tired and I find myself shifting. There is no training like riding a SS it also is a great gauge of your power/fitness on frequently ridden trails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    do the gears or the suspension explain when your hardtail or FS are faster uphill?

I've timed the 1st climb at China Camp back to back, same day, and thought for sure the SS was faster but it wasn't. a whole loop of china camp on a rigid SS is 20-30% more mentally taxing than on my FS, aerobically it feels the same though you do take a little physical beating in the tiny rock areas.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I find the rigid SS is more exhausting to ride and I'm not really faster on a whole route with it. I'm faster on the full suspension, for sure....not up some climbs or segments though. I think it is a mental thing where you realize you have to hammer a climb or you are going to stall out, so you do. On the full suspension (with gears) you have the option of granny gearing it and spinning. It's just a different way of riding.

I do prefer riding the rigid SS, especially on days where I'm solo riding and just out there to have some fun. I dig the full suspension for when I go out with a group and I try to keep up with them. It's less fatiguing and more forgiving of line choice/bike handling errors.

I went out with a group yesterday on a rigid single speed and by the end of it I was completely cooked. I don't think I would have been that exhausted with my full suspension rig and I would have been able to spin up some climbs I had to walk with the SS. But, you couldn't wipe the smile off my face from doing that ride with my rigid rig...and that, to me, is what it is all about. I'm still relatively new to all this though and in time I hope to get more proficient with the one gear.

EAT MORE GRIME
    I started hunting KOM's a little bit. on road yes for sure it's fun to taste blood

on woods trails with no danger, fine I will try them

but twisties with chunder and trees, wow some of these KOM's are set freaking out-of-control speeds and ...I just don't wanna risk a crash for a KOM in the tight stuff.

another problem is some of these are set in winter when trails are frozen
    and smooth as butter. trying a summer KOM on the same trail is hairball

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    I started hunting KOM's a little bit. on road yes for sure it's fun to taste blood

on woods trails with no danger, fine I will try them

but twisties with chunder and trees, wow some of these KOM's are set freaking out-of-control speeds and ...I just don't wanna risk a crash for a KOM in the tight stuff.

another problem is some of these are set in winter when trails are frozen
    and smooth as butter. trying a summer KOM on the same trail is hairball
    It's been my experience some KOMs are because of GPS error too. I know I've PR'd in the woods because of GPS error and I know that on a few of the local segments people can in no way be actually doing the speeds they are doing.

Rent this space for $
    I've been road riding quite a bit, too. I have a few neighbors that ride occasionally and one of them did a little 1 3/4 loop around our quiet neighborhood block and set it as a segment. When I first started riding, we would bounce the KOM between one another by a second or 2 until I got dialed and kept riding while everyone else just slacked and barely ride their bikes. I held the KOM. WooHoo! Then one day I see this kitted out dude lapping my neighborhood. Total stranger. We're in an off-the-beaten-path neighborhood where we don't see many people unless they have a reason to be here. I quickly realized what he was doing after his second lap around. As he went by the third time I yelled out to him "DUDE...you better up your speed if you want that KOM!" He looked at me like 'how the hell does he know?!' Sure enough, I checked Stava and there he was. He's one of these racer guys and you could tell from his route that day he was out just picking off the low hanging fruit KOM's. He wasn't even from the area, either. Apparently, that's a thing now. Guys that just go out looking to get KOM's. Odd. It's tough around here to hang on to one. Lots of roadies come here to the central coast to train so we do have a lot of really fast riders around here and they come and go. Now, I'm gonna go out and sweep the gravelly sand out of the corners around my block and get that KOM back!

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Based on wheel size (26"SS riding w/26" geared bikes) Im a firm believer that everythings faster on a SS. I prove time and time again riding with my buddies. They're sucking wind trying to stick with me on the ascents, and by the time they have crested the climb, Im already descending with the after burners on. I use 780mm bars and 180mm cranks, fully rigid and I have a BMX background.

In fact, this is what brought me too SS'ing back in '87. I was tired of breaking deraillurs. So I took my BMX bike and my Mtn. Bike and exchanged the necessary components to make it happen. As far as I know, I was riding the first SS in this area.

A SS is hard to beat, but you gotta be in decent shape. I'm a kool aid drinking Crossfitter, so SS fits right into my insanity threshold. I actually get bored on geared bikes now.

Throwing those darn 29'ers into the mix changes the equation slightly, but like I mentioned, if you on top of your game its not uncommon to dole out some spank juice on these "new fangled big wheelers" .

Oddly enough, Ive never ridden with anyone on a 29" SS. I know I just put a "14 old dealer stock Specialized Carve on layaway. Im choppin to get ahold of that to see what all the hoopla is about....

Rent this space for $
    Quote Originally Posted by evad nosam View Post

Oddly enough, Ive never ridden with anyone on a 29" SS. I know I just put a "14 old dealer stock Specialized Carve on layaway. Im choppin to get ahold of that to see what all the hoopla is about....
    This is my first 9'r. I'm not certain if the love affair would be the same on a 26 Rigid SS. As for the Carve, I'd love to here how that goes. I have a very strong interest in one of those (Crave, Carve, whichever it is, now). My local shop does not have any in stock. i'm interested in the simple rigid SS version. Seem like a pretty cool rig. There was a pretty nice one on pB for sale. I'd like to pedal one first before buying since they're a chunk more money than the $250 I paid for my steely rigid 9'r KHS Solo One SE.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Ill give a detailed comparison once I can get my hands on that 29er.

mtbr member
    My memorable PR came when I pulled my ss out at the beginning of a local ride with one of my buddies. He asked "When are you going to put gears on that thing?" When I asked why he said "Because it's slow!"

We started our loop and I PR'd the forest road climb, breaking the 30 min barrier for my first time ever and beating my friend in the process. He then admitted that he spoke too soon.

Haven't been able to duplicate it since.