I'm converting my XT rear hub to SS...- Mtbr.com
    Big Paws on a Puppy!!

I'm converting my XT rear hub to SS...

... and was wondering if anyone can suggest a good SS spacer kit. My frame has horizontal dropouts so I don't need a chain tensioning device.

I'm sure this has been covered 1 zillion times already but thank you for entertaining this question again.<O</O
    ‎"My bicycle masters boardwalk and quagmire with aplomb." - Tom Nuttall

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    just about any "spacer set" sill do.. I have used a gusset on mine for a bit over a year.. works great.. I now got some spacers and a new cog from misfit psycles for better chainline adjustment.... but just about set of spacers, DIY or not, will work as long as they keep the cog in place
    Last edited by crisillo; 03-12-2007 at 09:12 AM.

singletrack bound

Gusset

Gusset makes a SS convertion kit for about 29$ It works well with Shimano hubs. I ran mine for close to a year before I built a new wheelset SS specific. It comes with two spacers and two cogs...16t and 18t I rode the 2:1 16t for around six months then switched to the 18T and found I liked that ratio much better for the type of trails I ride. I then had my new wheelset built and went with the 18t cog....

bikes are people too
    Might I recommend a spacer kit with more capacity for chainline adjustment, like the spacers from the Harris Cyclery website? I've heard some decent things about Gusset, but from what I can gather they don't offer much in chainline adjustment, which a lot of people on this forum will tell you, is absolutely necessary when it comes to most geared -> SS conversions.
    2009 Santa Cruz Chameleon
    2010 Cannondale CAAD9 4
    1973 Schwinn World Sport (Fixed)

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    the plastic spacers from 2 or 3 old cassetees you can break apart do the trick 100% superduper if you have access to some older cassettes.

it is all i have ever used

Expert Pushing SSer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratman
    ... and was wondering if anyone can suggest a good SS spacer kit. My frame has horizontal dropouts so I don't need a chain tensioning device.

I'm sure this has been covered 1 zillion times already but thank you for entertaining this question again.<O</O
    Gray SCH 80 PVC and a hacksaw. To a mathematician there is infinte chainline adjustment, to the engineer there is finite. I made several spacers for the different cogs I use (2 wide base CK stainless, and 1 Endless). One large one on the inboard side of the cog and one thin sliver that the lockring bites on. So far so good. A 10 ft. stick of PVC is cheap and will last you many bikes and cog combos.
    Tuff Schist

mtbr member

Rennen makes a nice one!!!

An old Performance brand cassette is nice because it is screwed together. It is easy to take apart and use the spacers and even have a selection of cogs to use.

Members who have read this thread: 0