I'm converting my Stumpjumper to SS...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

I'm converting my Stumpjumper to SS...

and I have a question. I ordered all of the parts I need including a 32 tooth chainring. After getting the old chainrings off I noticed that the stock 32 tooth ring allows the chain to sit very close to the ends of the crank arms.

I have the Gusset 1'er cassette body on order and it includes a 16 and 18 tooth cog. Should I stick with the 32 tooth ring I have ordered for a 32/16 combo or have the vendor substitute a 36 instead for a 36/18 combo? I'm worried about chainring wear allowing the chain to hit the arms but this is the way it was spec'd from the factory.

Here's the Stumpjumper as it stands now. Just waiting for a new chainring, Gusset 1'er, DMR STS tensioner and a new chain.

mtbr member

Yo

that's pretty normal. As long as the chain doesn't touch the arm, you should be fine. Also, if you are using the ramped stock chainring, replace it with a chainring without ramps or pins (less chance of throwing the chain with a plain chainring).
    If you are riding in a hilly area, start off with a 32X18 to ease into it.

mtbr member
    I got all of the parts today. They sent me a 34t ring instead of the 32t. It was labeled incorrectly. I tried to set it up in a 34/18 combo but it looks like I will have to use a half link for good tension. I then set it up for 34/16 but that is way too high. I'd like to get a 17t Shimano BMX cog but it doesn't look like they are available. I also had to do some grinding and filing on the DMR Tensioner to make it work with my frame.

Now I have to find a half link. None of the local shops carry them.

E !

Hold up

Quote Originally Posted by bung
    I got all of the parts today. They sent me a 34t ring instead of the 32t. It was labeled incorrectly. I tried to set it up in a 34/18 combo but it looks like I will have to use a half link for good tension. I then set it up for 34/16 but that is way too high. I'd like to get a 17t Shimano BMX cog but it doesn't look like they are available. I also had to do some grinding and filing on the DMR Tensioner to make it work with my frame.

Now I have to find a half link. None of the local shops carry them.
    Get a 19t cog. I use a 34x19 combo(close enough to 32x18 ratio) That's if your stumpy is close enough to my rockhopper in chainstay length. You shouldn'y have to file or grind anything for the DMR to fit. I have the sts version and i just pushed it in the tight fit at first. Just loosen all the bolts up to get it set-up right. Let me count the chain links real quick and compare to what you have.
    O.K. it is 47 links at 34x19,sorry i do not have exact chainstay length.
    You can get the cheap cogs in all sizes,atleast my LBS has them.
    the - E - dog

Members who have read this thread: 0