I'm Bumming Hard- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Bonking ... not feelin' well I'm Bumming Hard

My ENO drivetrain won't work with my Chameleon frame, big chainline issue.
    The Cranks are designed around a 113 BB and the beefy square stays on the Chameleon make it impossible to use that size BB. The good folks at White Ind. and I have talked and are willing to give me my money back on the ENO Hub because it's narrower than a Phil's or Paul and that will fix my problem.
    Thing is I don't want to give back my ENO hub!!! It's a thing of beauty, just not meant to be on a Chameleon frame I guess
    Do I just get a different hub? OR ditch the frame and get something else?
    I'm leaning towards a different frame because of the sheer size of the BB, a 122. I think it's gonna feel real flexy......
    What do you guy's think???

p.s. - The folks at White Ind. are first class, top notch people with SUPER customer service. Another reason I REALLY don't want to give up the hub.

Fat Boy Deluxe
    I was under the impression that one wouldn't need an ENO hub for the Chameleon, unless of course you aren't talking about the eccentric version. If you like the shiny ENO, but it won't work, look towards the Phil Woods hub. It's a beautiful piece of art in itself...and just as shiny.

DT

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

are you two the same guy?

d-m-f-t and d-mo-fo-t?

wtf??!!

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by DMFT
    My ENO drivetrain won't work with my Chameleon frame, big chainline issue.
    The Cranks are designed around a 113 BB and the beefy square stays on the Chameleon make it impossible to use that size BB. The good folks at White Ind. and I have talked and are willing to give me my money back on the ENO Hub because it's narrower than a Phil's or Paul and that will fix my problem.
    Thing is I don't want to give back my ENO hub!!! It's a thing of beauty, just not meant to be on a Chameleon frame I guess
    Do I just get a different hub? OR ditch the frame and get something else?
    I'm leaning towards a different frame because of the sheer size of the BB, a 122. I think it's gonna feel real flexy......
    What do you guy's think???

p.s. - The folks at White Ind. are first class, top notch people with SUPER customer service. Another reason I REALLY don't want to give up the hub.
    Does the Chameleon really take a 122????
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

No....

But they both mean the same thing

I do have the non eccentric hub and I've thought about the Phil hub alot. But I'm concerned about how much flex I'm going to get from the wide BB?

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

the 04 chameleon takes a 68x113 bb

why do you think it's a 122 spindle??

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I have the White Ind. Cranks and Hub - Designed around a 113 BB come to find out.
    Cranks won't fit with that small of a BB on this frame. The stays on Chameleons are quite a bit larger than most other brands so my stuff will work with a perfect chainline on other frames. I'm real bummed because I dont want to part with any of this stuff, it just won't work together
    I'm thinkin' the Frames goin' in the classifieds

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

gotcha.

you don't have enough clarence with the white ind. eno crankset b/c of those sick-azz chainstays. jeez, i hope mine works out - i've not put on the turdvative stylo team crankset i was planning to use (just middle ring & bashring). i sure hope it fits!

~C mo-fo C. (hehe, that's kinda fun).

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by eSSq
    you don't have enough clarence with the white ind. eno crankset b/c of those sick-azz chainstays. jeez, i hope mine works out - i've not put on the turdvative stylo team crankset i was planning to use (just middle ring & bashring). i sure hope it fits!

~C mo-fo C. (hehe, that's kinda fun).
    you guys are gettin me all a worried n stuff. would the real bb spindle length please stand up?

eh-nay Ityopia!

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Good job! ok, Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by namaSSte
    you guys are gettin me all a worried n stuff. would the real bb spindle length please stand up?
    i promise i'll install my bb & crankset tonight, instead of sitting around drinking beer like i was planning to.

WAIT! i can drink beer in the garage while i install the parts.

mtbr member
    Had some problems with my Eno hub (eccentric) as well, it has a 28.5mm offset instead of the BMX 20mm offset, putting the freewheel/cog 8.5mm further inboard, which lines it up with the middle chainring on a standard MTB frame. However, I was running it in the fixie mode, and wanted a 40t chainring up front, which was problematic as it would hit the chainstay in that position.

Most SS'er run a 32t~36t chainring, which usualy fits nicely in the middle position (obviously not on the chameleon!). Fixies often run a 38t~44t.

You choice is to get a Phils (or better yet, a cassette hub like Chris King or Hugi), or get a different frame. Personally I like the chain line further outboard, gets less mud contamination from the tire...

Cheers,

Tom

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Correct

That is a problem as well.

I'm going to part with a Brand New, Trans Blue Chameleon, Size Large.
    Contact me if interested.

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by eSSq
    WAIT! i can drink beer in the garage while i install the parts.

now that's my man!!! have one for me too okay? oh yeah, and check the chainline before the fourth beer, just to be safe of course

have fun, can't wait til its my turn. btw, can I pm or e ya with some more questions? IM trying to piece the ride together on a budget and need some talking to, lol!

eh-nay Ityopia!

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

fo shizzle

[QUOTE=namaSStecan I pm or e ya with some more questions? [/QUOTE]
    offroadie at fooriders dot com.

Medium?

I ran a 122mm BB for a while

I needed a BB one day, and that was the size they had, so I bought it. I didn't notice it being flexy, and I'm over 190.

And another thing: I've been running my chainring in the middle position with a Phil Wood hub for almost a year. In this config, the ring should be on the outside position. I run a PC7x, and I can only tell the chainline is off when it gets really dry. You could try the opposite: run your ring in the outer position with the eno. I'll bet if you run an 8 speed chain, you won't notice.

theHeadlessThompsonGunner
    I ride my Chameleon with a 113 bb. Typically it's set up with 03 XT cranks, but those are in the chop. Interim cranks are Deores with a 113 mm sq spindle bb, and they have tons of room, too. I don't know where the 122 mm number is coming from, but that's a little nuts.
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

the caveman solution...

is to hit the stay a few times in the offending areas with a big hammer.

dave

ps. I'm kinda being serious

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Trust me guy's.....

I work at a shop, with the ENO Crank & Hub it's not possible to get even close to a good chainline. I talked to Doug at White today for a while and he designed the Eno Crank with a 113 BB in mind and the Q factor for the Cranks is on the Big Ring. As mentioned by itsdoable, the Eno Hub is on a 28.5 offset - a good deal farther inboard than other manufacturers.
    I think Doug may be considering going a little more with the grain than against it as the current offerings will present a problem with some frames, I just happened to find that out the hard way .
    To answer a couple other questions : Yes. A Chameleon using RF Turbines or old Shimano LX/XT will use a 113 BB, old XTR cranks need the biggest XTR BB- a 116.5 I believe.
    This is the price you pay sometimes when trying to go for the bling and it's a little frustrating sometimes, but worth it when you get it done right.
    Now the big descision : What frame to get now???

uncompliant
    I'd say stick with the hub and change the frame...

But as an aside the BB on my Inbred is something silly like a 127mm (maybe 124mm can't remember for sure) - which was needed to get the v old XT (1990?) cranks to clear the chainstays... somehow the chainline work out just fine, but I'm not really sure how.

Anyway - I don't notice flex on that, but it's quite a flexy frame anyway so maybe it's just masking it.

Quote Originally Posted by DMFT
    I work at a shop, with the ENO Crank & Hub it's not possible to get even close to a good chainline. I talked to Doug at White today for a while and he designed the Eno Crank with a 113 BB in mind and the Q factor for the Cranks is on the Big Ring. As mentioned by itsdoable, the Eno Hub is on a 28.5 offset - a good deal farther inboard than other manufacturers.
    I think Doug may be considering going a little more with the grain than against it as the current offerings will present a problem with some frames, I just happened to find that out the hard way .
    To answer a couple other questions : Yes. A Chameleon using RF Turbines or old Shimano LX/XT will use a 113 BB, old XTR cranks need the biggest XTR BB- a 116.5 I believe.
    This is the price you pay sometimes when trying to go for the bling and it's a little frustrating sometimes, but worth it when you get it done right.
    Now the big descision : What frame to get now???

Fahrrad fahren

I just did that.

Quote Originally Posted by d_piddy
    is to hit the stay a few times in the offending areas with a big hammer.

dave

ps. I'm kinda being serious
    I'm running a 40t ring so I can go fixed/free and there was some rub on my old Giant. Two wacks with the flat side of the large ball peen gave me to room I neede.

H
    Fixing Frederick Coasting Carroll Wandering Washington

mtbr member

ENOs

I have read all this commotion, only to say that I have not encountered any problems. All ENOs in my stock work great...

http://www.adventurefind.com/bikes.html

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    I have read all this commotion, only to say that I have not encountered any problems. All ENOs in my stock work great...

http://www.adventurefind.com/bikes.html
    thats because you're know to have had relations with the gnome king's daughter and have that over his head forever. his magic is simply no good on you!

eh-nay Ityopia!

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

score one for the cassette conversion method

nice thing about the low-cash approach of using a standard cassette hub and a bunch of spacers. you put the cog where it wants to be, and put spacers everywhere else.
    or, you could sell your frame.

mtbr member

magic tricks

Quote Originally Posted by namaSSte
    thats because you're know to have had relations with the gnome king's daughter and have that over his head forever. his magic is simply no good on you!
    Speaking of magic tricks, expect a newly redesigned ENO page from White Ind. I'm putting it together as we speak. So sleeeeepy.