I'm in- Mtbr.com

Thread: I'm in

Smarter Than He Looks

I'm in

Picked up a gently used, modestly modified 07 GF Rig yesterday and did my first ride on the local fast rolling singletrack. My main bike is a GF HiFI (26), so I haven't been on a HT in a while, first 29er and first SS.

I like it. Definitely tough, I need to learn to stand up (without blowing up) all over again. I've heard a bunch of people say that when they ride a SS they find themself grinning from ear to ear. Well, not yet but maybe after a few more rides.

openwound
    Congrats on the new ride.

I won't say that it gets easier but it does get better.

Some would say it's not true 'til they see pics. I'm just sayin'...

Low Rep Count
    What new bike? I don't even see a little X in a box. My guess is it didn't happen at this point.

Smarter Than He Looks
    Harsh!! How 'bout a lousy cell phone pic until such time as the bike, myself and daylight actually coincide again?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I'm in-rig1.jpg  

Low Rep Count
    OOOOOh, I like! I'm a fan of the all black theme personally. More and more I want to go 29er. Maybe the new wheels I am going to start collecting parts for will just be built on 29er rims and then I will replace my frame w/ a niner of some sort (not NINER mind you but a 29 in general) Looks good. I believe you now.

openwound
    Well played.

I had one of those, too. Not to cap your buzz, but the EBB on the bike can be a bit creaky. Do you know if the previous owner upgraded the insert? Carver makes a replacement that's a bit better.

In all seriousness, enjoy the new ride. Just get out and ride -- with miles the smiles will arrive.

mtbr member
    Sweet ride. Watch the weld at the seat-tube/ top-tube junction. 07's and earlier had some problems there. Also, for the creaky BB, if you have issues, use a copper paste- works 60% of the time, every time . The carver is a great upgrade, but more pricey than copper paste .

mtbr member
    Congrats and welcome to the 29er world. Way to jump straight into crazy with a SS
    If you want all the comforts of home, stay there.

Rides, Reviews, Races and Random Thoughts

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Congrats on the Rig ... I love my 09!! I have the carver EBB and don't know that I would recommend it if you will be changing out cogs often for racing. The expander bolt will strip out (allen head) after a few adjustments. Also, if you do a lot of climbing, don't hesitate to change the cog out to a bigger one, more teeth .... your knees will appreciate it. Then after you have some time in on the Rig you could always change the cog back.

Enjoy the 29er SS rush!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Stand, mash, and throw the handlebars back and forth violently

beware the grammar police
    nice bike.... i like it...

Members who have read this thread: 0