Thread: I'm in

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I'm in

Yep put me down as part of the SS crowd now. Just built up my first one, mostly from the parts bin. So for the crowd looking for the drool, bling, bling look elsewhere. This bike is beautiful probabaly only to me. Brought to life by my hand from salvaged parts mostly, and I even like the way it rides. ;-)

Here is the story...pics will come later.

The frame was given to me from a buddy at one of the bike shops here in town....a customer "upgraded" and asked them to "dispose" of his old bike. wtf? Austin owed me a favor, so he asks me if I want it, and just take the frame with seatpost and collar while others take some of the parts. The frame is a Giant Iguana - a company I have never considered buying a bike from and a model I have never heard of. 6061-al and it appears to be in good shape, although it is a very big frame: 21"

So I take the frame and hold onto for a few months. To make the SS I had to buy the Gusset hub convertor, the Singulator, the 8-speed SRAN chain, and the FSA 34t 94mm BCD chainring. I also bought the old Diamondback Cro-Moly rigid fork for 30 bucks from a shop that has a box of about 20 old ones just collecting dust. Rest of the stuff, wheels, seat, handlebar, brakes & levers, stem, grips, and one of the tires were all sitting in my garage somewhere.

Then I build it up, but immediately notice the Gusset 16t cog - which claims it is for a 3/32-in chain - does not work with my 3/32-in. chain. Doh...head to the bike shop and Mike finds me an old 6 speek cassette and gets me a 17t and a 16t. I stick in the 17t and things works from there. Singulator was a little difficult to adjust for tension, but once I removed the skewer, the 18mm cone wrench worked well. If someone know what the heck was going with that Gusset cog please let me know.....damn that thing was pretty thick.

Imagine my suprise when the whole thing topped out at an impressive 22.2-lbs. So here are the pics.....

1. The bike built up before the first ride.
    2. Singulator
    3. My old RF crank. We've had quite a few of the Turbine LPs over the years.
    4. Gussett Cog & SRAM 8-speed chain.
    5. Digital Scale....in lbs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

A fe ride pics thrown in

Here are some pics from the first ride...or christening of the new bike.

1. The first real test. Doesn't really look like much of a climb, and normally it isn't. But the rutted decomposed granite climb made route selection very critical. I spun in a couple of places, but made it up.......and even better I had witnesses, so I didn't fall on my face as I wanted so desparetely to avoid. :-)
    2. Trail over looking the Burque....
    3. The Handlbar shot.

Then I rode mostly unmarked trails in my neighborhood and worked on getting acquianted with how it handled in technical terrain. Had a blast and I can see this becoming addictive.

Let me know what you think....anything goofy looking on my new ride? Any problems with the Singulator (I assume the spring will wear out fairly soon). Gussett issues?

Thanks!

Matt

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Hot

Gold.

Anti-Bling.

Funny Looking.

Perfect.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by Timo
    Here are some pics from the first ride...or christening of the new bike.

1. The first real test. Doesn't really look like much of a climb, and normally it isn't. But the rutted decomposed granite climb made route selection very critical. I spun in a couple of places, but made it up.......and even better I had witnesses, so I didn't fall on my face as I wanted so desparetely to avoid. :-)
    2. Trail over looking the Burque....
    3. The Handlbar shot.

Then I rode mostly unmarked trails in my neighborhood and worked on getting acquianted with how it handled in technical terrain. Had a blast and I can see this becoming addictive.

Let me know what you think....anything goofy looking on my new ride? Any problems with the Singulator (I assume the spring will wear out fairly soon). Gussett issues?

Thanks!

Matt

Reviewer/Tester
    Welcome to the world of ... pain.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    Welcome to the dark side, you'll like it believe me.

Sweep the leg!
    would you consider trading your sandy, cactus lined trails for slippery mud covered in maple & elm leafs? I'll throw in the 45-50 degree overcast days for free, but hurry though, they're covered with frost in the mornings with snow soon to come.

Nice ride too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL
    Welcome to the dark side, you'll like it believe me.
    With a line like coming from the "Devil" what could one expect?

Thx!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    Gold.

Anti-Bling.

Funny Looking.

Perfect.

JMH
    Thx. I'll hook up for a ride with my buddy on his Dean Ti SS later on this week. Opposite ends of the spectrum, but we'll see who makes it first to the top of the next big climb. :-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered
    would you consider trading your sandy, cactus lined trails for slippery mud covered in maple & elm leafs? I'll throw in the 45-50 degree overcast days for free, but hurry though, they're covered with frost in the mornings with snow soon to come.

Nice ride too.
    Sounds pleaseant. Now I know why you've been riding one gear. ha! Mud is present here on the other side of the mountain, though....sort of like riding in peanut butter and can suck the shoes right off you if you have to walk.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman
    Welcome to the world of ... pain.

R.
    Thanks....I seem to find pain regardless.

Devolution is real!
    Wow I find amazement in that bike. I love the look of a home made SS. Nice bike and Nice work!! Let see some more pics of the bike at different angles.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by toyota200x
    Wow I find amazement in that bike. I love the look of a home made SS. Nice bike and Nice work!! Let see some more pics of the bike at different angles.
    Thanks for the comments. Here are some not-so-high-quality images of the bike.
    I'll try to take some fotos of the bike out on rides in the up coming days.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    A run down on the parts;
    Bontrager Race Lites Tubless Wheels - 3 tears old, 1 by my wife, the last 2 by me.
    Thomson 90X15-degree stem - used by my wife for 2 seasons.
    Salsa Saddle....probabaly had this 5 years or so. My 3rd one.
    Sette Carbon handle-bar...been on at least 3 bikes around here. Never broke a Sette, broke 2 Eastons...go figure.
    Crank-Bros pedals...peiced together from two failures.
    Race Face Turbine LP crank...gift to me by wife 4 years ago.
    Ritchey seatpost...came with frame - slated for trash bin. Same with collar.
    Yeti Grips...look new, actually a few years old. Haven't flipped a Shimano in at least 3 years.
    Avid Brakes...levers are left over from my old Cove Hand Job which cracked, then went on Airbourne Lucky Sticke, which now has Martas.

Some more fotos;

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    The red-white-blue is schweeet!

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Seeems like you could remove a link and use the tensioner in the ellusive but sought after "push up" position...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Seeems like you could remove a link and use the tensioner in the ellusive but sought after "push up" position...
    Thanks.....yeah. I should change over eventually. Initially, I just did not want to change the spring in the Singulator for the first build. Also adjusting the Singulator with the 18mm cone wrench was such a pain ~ had to remover skewer and try to keep wheel in place ~ due, I think, to the shape of the hangar.

I heard the singulator slap around a couple of times on rocky descents, so I agree that the push-up and less chain might be better. Just have to have a reason to fix what works right now. :-)

Slave to the grind

nice!

how did you like the fork?
    Let it flow, let yourself go, slow and low, that is the tempo.

rmb
    mtbr member
    Well, after reading this thread yesterday, I decided to convert my old hardtail as well. I have the same frame (19"), same colors, just sitting around. Today I went to the LBS and bought a singleator, chainring and cogs. I'm on my way.
    Last edited by rmb; 11-01-2005 at 09:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cherrybomber
    how did you like the fork?
    Love it! Definately reminded of my old fully rigid Mongoose back in the day. The LBS has these old Diamondback forks just sitting in their stockroom and have no idea what to do with them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rmb
    Well, after reading this thread yesterday, I decided to convert my old hardtail as well. I have the same frame (19"), same colors, just sitting around. Today I went to the LBS and bought a singulator, chainring and a cogs. I'm on my way.
    Great! Let's see the pics when you finish building it. Let me know how the build goes - and per Padre's comments, try the "push-up" on the Singulator if you can. But it's a little tricky.

Just out of curiosity, when did you buy the frame? Errr....in other words how old might I estimate my frame to be?

rmb
    mtbr member
    It is a 2002, not too old.

rmb
    mtbr member

I'm in too.

I used el cheapo extra parts, especially the rims. I put the singleator in the push-up position and used 32-18 gearing. I rode it today and it works great, very fun to ride and simple.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Smile Siblings

Quote Originally Posted by rmb
    I used el cheapo extra parts, especially the rims. I put the singleator in the push-up position and used 32-18 gearing. I rode it today and it works great, very fun to ride and simple.
    AWESOME! Great choice on tire too - you can never go wrong with Panaracers. I'll have to try the push-up sometime.....and now I know it can be done. I like the 17 I have in back but might put in the 32 when I head to steeper terrain. But for now the 32-17 works well in the foothills by my house. However, a buddy of mine has suggested I switch to a BMX chain and put the Gusset cog back in, so I might do that as well. Half the fun of this adventure has been working on the bike. :-)

Thanks for sharing the pics.

rmb
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timo
    AWESOME! Great choice on tire too - you can never go wrong with Panaracers. I'll have to try the push-up sometime.....and now I know it can be done. I like the 17 I have in back but might put in the 32 when I head to steeper terrain. But for now the 32-17 works well in the foothills by my house. However, a buddy of mine has suggested I switch to a BMX chain and put the Gusset cog back in, so I might do that as well. Half the fun of this adventure has been working on the bike. :-)

Thanks for sharing the pics.
    I agree, it was fun building the bike and I'm glad you did it, as it motivated me to do the same.

Members who have read this thread: 0