...if you were getting a custom frame....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

...if you were getting a custom frame....

I am new to singlespeeding, in as much as I've never owned one! I have the opportunity to build my own frame on a course in the UK and I have decided to build a steel 29er SS with the ability to run gears. The bike will be a second race/trail bike to my Scott Spark so it must be light, quick to change wheels and be reliable and will see a lot of mud. Rear hub will be SS cassette type with the option of 6 cogs, like a Hope Pro 2 SS/trials. The frame will be fillet brazed so stainless steel drop-outs are not an option.

So my question is, which chain tensioning system should I use?

1) I love the look of Black Cats swinger dropouts, not sure if they can be bought seperatly though. Simple, clean looking and heard good things.

2) Also loving Vassago's dropouts with their gear plug and Jabbernutz look like the best track end option, can I buy these I wonder?

3) Salsa/Cross Check horizontal with set-screws which I have on my Casseroll work well, not sure with discs though?

4) Then there's eBB, looked at the new Niner Bio-centric but not sure if it creaks/slips? If it's a solid system this would be my ideal setup as I can buy the bb shell and eBB.

5) last option in the Trickstuff or Fwd Components which seem expensive and heavy respectively seems like a band-aid for a problem.

If I went with options 4 and 5 I would have a super clean cs/ss area and would use Paragons Low Mount Disc drop-outs with caliper on the cs.

Any help would be appreciated guys.

mtbr member
    paul sells some cool dropouts. you could also get some surly dropouts. both are track type ends.
    Ride & Smile

Out spokin'
    Personally I'd probably go with the Black Cat style dropouts. But I have a split shell / pinch bolt EBB that I love. Never slips or creaks, had it for 8 years, raced & trained for 100 milers on it. Abused all to hell and no problems.

Based on what's available EBB-wise today, I would not consider any other EBB system besides split shell / pinch bolt. (Well, except for Forward Components if I had a standard shell frame that I wanted to SS.)

The reason I said I'd go with the Black Cat style dropouts over another split shell EBB is the SS world just seems to be moving in the direction of dropout tensioning, and the BC dropouts seem so clean and well designed.

I also have a disc-brake equipped frame with horizontal track ends. Works okay but personally I'm not a fan. It's just such a class B affair compared to other available options.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Check out the new SoulCraft drop outs, my personal favorite. Don't think Sean has any posted on his site yet but look for the SoulCraft post in this forum from a few weeks past.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer."
    -Plato

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks, I have looked at Pauls and they look pretty cool although I think mounting the caliper on the cs would be harder with these compared to Vassage because the axle sits further back in relation to the cs/ss join if that makes sense? I'm not sure if i can buy a pinch bolt EBB shell and I think that EBB's in general are pretty heavy, I was really hoping the new Niner one was good but I hear it creaks. I guess swingers are the way to go, if they are obtainable.

I haven't tried it but I think track ends and discs can't work as well as other systems when it comes to set up, but I could be wrong. I have also seen the Orange P7 bolt on style which looks cool, but maybe not the most durable? Will search for SoulCraft.

Thanks guys.

mtbr member
    i have track ends and disks and they work just fine. i have never had a problem.
    Ride & Smile

mtbr member
    +1 on track ends and discs no problems

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jwcart10
    +1 on track ends and discs no problems
    Cool, that's good to know. It's looking like either Jabberwocky style with set screws or BC swingers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by happybiker
    Cool, that's good to know. It's looking like either Jabberwocky style with set screws or BC swingers.
    BC sells his dropouts to other builders.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    I would stick with something simple like trackends since you are building it yourself (it's your first frame build, right?).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2
    I would stick with something simple like trackends since you are building it yourself (it's your first frame build, right?).
    Yeah it's my first and possibly onle chance to build a frame. Trackends are simple but then I have to fabricate the disc mount which will be slotted for adjustment, can't be too hard I guess. If the BC ones come as a system with the part you weld to the stays surely it would be easier to build? If it's just the moving part then it would be tricky to fabricate the rest.

mtbr member
    I'm bumping this thread not because I'm building my own frame, but because I intend to have one built in the next couple of months. The builder usually uses paragon sliders and has never built with the Black Cat dropouts, but he will build with them if I want him to do so. My question is for current Black Cat owners--do you have problems with slippage? I have searched and know that several owners with paragon sliders have had to upgrade bolts, used lube between the plates for squeaking, etc. Any Black Cat owners have these kinds of problems?
    Thanks,
    Barry

Members who have read this thread: 0