If you could vacate anywhere, where would you go to include a little MTBing?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005

If you could vacate anywhere, where would you go to include a little MTBing?

The girlfriend and I are planning on blowing our income tax returns on a killer vacation next spring. My stipulation is that I get some good trail riding in, she wants to go somewhere new and exciting. She is a beginner and I consider myself an above average rider, been riding for about 16 yrs. Some ideas we have been tossing around so far:

Moab
    Ireland
    Cancun

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ovaries on the Outside
    I was going to write "Anywhere with a good riding partner," but then I saw Ireland as an option. I didn't mountain bike while I was there, but the place is fantastic. To ride around such a place would make the trip that much more special. I have some photos I took while out there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Me and the GF are going to London. Dunno what type of riding they have there but we are going on a road bike tour and were supposed to see alot of things you dont normally see. Other than that, i plan on renting a bike if possible and riding all over the place. City, dirt, doesnt matter. I just wanna be able to say i rode my ass off in London. It will be my first time over seas.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Checkout this website. They are rated number one outfitters by national geographic.
    I don't work for them and I had a trip with them but i had to cancel. We were going to go to guatemala

www.sacredrides.com

i don't give a shift
    A place I want to explore on a bike - Chapada Diamantina in Brazil

Or the Basque Country in Spain.

... just to name a few.

mtbr member

Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    I was going to write "Anywhere with a good riding partner," but then I saw Ireland as an option. I didn't mountain bike while I was there, but the place is fantastic. To ride around such a place would make the trip that much more special. I have some photos I took while out there.
    Ireland would be epic--especially Connemara
    i am a human derailleur

I'm just messing with you
    If you could vacate anywhere,
    I would vacate this place and go somewhere nice.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

aka baycat
    Fly into London, spend a few days playing tourist, visit friends in Cambridge and Guernsey. Take a train up the east coast to Scotland with bike in tow. Ride some of the world renowned centers (different name for them I forgot). Check out Edinburgh and Glasgow. Ferry over to Ireland, ride and visit a friend in Cork and make sure to get drunk in Dublin. Ferry back take west coast train from Scotland back down to London.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by baycat
    Fly into London, spend a few days playing tourist, visit friends in Cambridge and Guernsey. Take a train up the east coast to Scotland with bike in tow. Ride some of the world renowned centers (different name for them I forgot). Check out Edinburgh and Glasgow. Ferry over to Ireland, ride and visit a friend in Cork and make sure to get drunk in Dublin. Ferry back take west coast train from Scotland back down to London.
    I'm not getting that good of a return! This will be a one stop trip.

Good ideas, what about Costa Rica?

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Cancun isnt the best choice , sure the beach is nice but there is not real opportunities to go mountain biking . a lot of the beaches are private and its pretty flat down there. I tried mountain biking over there this summer, no dice
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Realistically?

I would tell my wife that we should visit her parents, brother, and family in Bend, OR.

The local trail are nasty and the town (not city) is super bike-friendly.

Sadly, I have not ridden the IMBA Epic McKenzie River trail yet. Any suggestions for this?

aka baycat
    Cancun is fun if you want to get black out drunk and wake up on the beach with some undergrads. I would opt for Ireland but Moab is a great riding desintation. And Fruita is only 100 miles away.

What about Whistler?

nothing less than a biker
    What about Italy? On the northern lakes there are many phenomenal tracks and plenty of other stuff to do. It can be a lot cheaper than in UK having a good time.

Expert Crasher
    Apr 2009
    Jamaica Fat Tyre Fest!!!
    If you never crash you are not trying hard enough.

mtbr member
    I'd veto Cancun, the yucetan is very flat. But if you are going to head that way shoot me a PM and I'll let you know some very nice, off the beaten path locales that arent flooded with gringo tourists. I've heard of some sweet singletrack around Mexico City but personally would never want to travel there unless you want to see the Teotihuacan or the Mexican Anthropology Museum. There might be some better tourist spots with biking along the west coast rather than the east.

Ibiza has beautiful mountain biking but I was only there for a day so I cant personally comment on it. I'd think that any of the caribbean islands would have similar biking trails but again I never had a bike when I was down that way. I'm trying to plan a caribbean island hopping adventure with a friend where we ride around each island and hostel overnight while ferrying between islands; I think it would be a much better way to get a feel for each islands' different cultures.

My father is hardly a biker but has done some trips to Costa Rica and Peru and gone mountain biking, but its kind of a shuttle bike ride for tourists. A bus takes you to the top of a mountain and then you ride to the bottom at your own pace.

artistic...
    italian dolomites!
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by collideous
    A place I want to explore on a bike - Chapada Diamantina in Brazil

chapada diamantina is in the north Minas Gerais... people are so friendly there. quiet, shy, unassuming people.
    plus you can visit the historical baroque villages of Tiradentes and Ouro Preto which rose in the Gold rush. and the museum of contemporary art in Inhotim: basically a ranch w/ lots of art.
    have never ridden but i was there when young and the scenery is totally surreal. it's rocky w/ crystaline water pools. in the summer it becomes very dry. sunsets are out of this world.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

is buachail foighneach me
    Alps. Zermatt maybe. From what I've seen it looks incredible.

Otherwise, southwest Utah. Visit all the awesome Nat'l Parks/Mons, and ride all the awesome singletrack.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Fruita Colorado. It's not exotic, but there is enough trail for a weeks worth of rides and the townies are super nice. I guess it depends on the size of the tax return..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob
    I would vacate this place and go somewhere nice.
    Ironic that someone from WV is the only one to catch/mention this

OP, Cancun is cool if you're 20 something and are more interested in riding a drunk college girl. For a trip with you and your SO, hands down Ireland. I have no clue what the riding is like, but there's bound to be some riding there... if not a quick trip to Scottland should fit the bill.

I'm just messing with you
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob
    Ironic that someone from WV is the only one to catch/mention this
    From one fat Bob to another

I'd head to Alaska ... see photos at Four seasons of riding in Alaska (in pics) if you need to ask why.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by willy ride
    Jamaica Fat Tyre Fest!!!
    i went to the one here in san diego, it wasnt anything to write home about.

Jul 2006
    ireland would be awesome.
    As for somewhere cheaper and great to ride, try doing a trip to southwestern Utah,and hit up stuff like gooseberry mesa, little creek mesa, brian head, and maybe go to vegas and do bootleg canyon. Then cruise over to Arizona and maybe raft on the colorado river for day or 2 on your way to flagstaff. Spend a few days riding there, then cruise down the hill to sedona. There's a ton more stuff around there that i havent mentioned, and you can do a big loop of it all with not a rediculous amount of driving. You'd get to ride a ton of different terrains in a few different climates. I'd maybe fly into vegas since it might be the cheapest for airfare and car rentals, start at bootleg canyon, and cruise over to Utah from there. Then roll to Arizona, and either dump the car and fly out of there, or drive back to vegas to fly home.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacefrog34
    I would tell my wife that we should visit her parents, brother, and family in Bend, OR.

The local trail are nasty and the town (not city) is super bike-friendly.

Sadly, I have not ridden the IMBA Epic McKenzie River trail yet. Any suggestions for this?
    Yeah but not in spring like OP says he's gonna. All Bend's best stuff is still under snow in spring. McKenzie River Trail is generally accessible then (I've ridden it in January for instance -- it's lower trailhead is only about 1400' elev.) but the upper (best) riding on MRT doesn't open up until late May.

IMO Oakridge offers better riding than Bend, but there's almost no nightlife or other things to do in Oakridge. Their new brewpub is about 6 months old, it's cool but that's about it for Oakridge. Anyway the riding around there is off the chart, but again, not until around July for some of the best. And by then the mosquitos are out at elevation. Oregon rocks if you're a mountain biker, but the best month to visit is mid- to late September.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by graluc
    The girlfriend and I are planning on blowing our income tax returns on a killer vacation next spring. My stipulation is that I get some good trail riding in, she wants to go somewhere new and exciting. She is a beginner and I consider myself an above average rider, been riding for about 16 yrs.
    Thanks!
    Taking girlfriend?

Sedona...you won't regret it

mtbr member
    For me, it's Oregon. MRT. NURT. Oakridge. Ashland. So beautiful. Great fishing. Riding for days and for all experience levels.

mtbr member
    I agree with Sedona AZ!! Beautiful there...I like it because it so different from riding in Maine.

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MaineSara
    I agree with Sedona AZ!! Beautiful there...I like it because it so different from riding in Maine.
    agreed, no potato fields or lobsters in Sedona.

Needed Less ~ Did More
    If you can garantee the weather Scotland in the autumn (fall) is hard to beat. I just spent a week with the wife and 6 friends in a large farm house right on some great trails. If only there was a better Indian take away in the town it would have been perfect

Singlespeed content...both I and the wife were on singlespeeds all week. Even over took the ful sussers at some points

SSP
    "Put any one on one of these singlespeed bikes and they could not help but have fun"
    -
    Otis Guy talking about klunkers c1976

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    My wife and I took a trip to Costa Rica last spring and took a bicycle tour. The tour also included white water rafting, hiking and a canopy tour. Taking a guided tour definately has it's benefits. You have a guide to show you around, and alot of times there is a chase van to carry your stuff so you can stay at a different place every night. The mountain biking was pretty good. Very little to no singletracks, but lots of climbs, a few creek crossings and a 5 mile ride down a vacant beach.

Members who have read this thread: 0