If you could have only one bike- Mtbr.com
    banned
    Apr 2004

If you could have only one bike

from now to the end of days?

Out of the bikes you own, which would it be?
    I'd have to go with my Litespeed 8speed gearie.

Or if the sky is the limit?
    I'd go with something artsy, like an Independent Fabrications, custom, SS specific, 80mm Frt travel, horizontal drops, V brake beast built up around 20LBS give or take without sacrificing reliabilty
    Attached Images Attached Images

Squalor
    Jan 2004

Good Question

I have often wondered if I could really make it with just one bike.

If I HAD to do it...it would for sure be a Surly Cross Check with 3 sets of wheels/tires:

1 set with Conti Vapor 29"er tires
    1 set with 25c road tires
    1 set with 35c touring tires

I think it would have (gasp) gears as well...at least in the back

LP

If I have to pick from the bikes I own right now, it would be....

Where's Toto?

One

Out of my current rides, if I could have only one, it would be my Merlin cyclocross bike (yes - with gears). I would probably want an eNo wheel as an option if I went that way. If the sky's the limit and I could have my one bike scratch built, it would probably be a Ti 29'er with track style dropouts with a deraileur hanger on the drive side (kind of a Ti Karate Monkey).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

keep it simple

thats simple, something steel, with one gear, a comfortable seat, and miles of singletrack...keep it simple...

Just Ride!

Yep, it will be my cross bike....

One bike, eh. It will be my Lobster no question about it.

Wandering not Lost
    one bike....whoa....now let's not get carried away...

that is just pure blasphemy...

mtbr member

pondering

if it all came down to that, I would do with a Karate Monkey.

All I have to do is sell my Gunnar Rock Hound, the Rock Shox Duke as well.

Then I would build the bike I have been pondering for a while.

A Black Katare Monkey at 20"
    FSA Orbit Headset
    ENO Cranks, 32t (and an extra set at 44t)
    ENO Disc Hub at 16t (and an extra freewheel at 18t)
    WTB rims and some WTB 29er tires, and my WTB saddle
    Easton post, stem, and Monkeylite bars
    old spd pedals
    regular Shimano BB
    Avid mechanical disc brakes
    Old School diacompe brake levers
    Ergon grips

I hope to build this bike soon, well, after the Gunnar and Fork leave the house
    Last edited by ernesto_from_Wisconsin; 11-21-2004 at 09:27 PM. Reason: saddle

kung food
    The cx bike idea definitely has merit - although for right now I'd prefer something different. I don't own any (!) bikes at the moment (all sold to finance current project) and will only own one after I take delivery of it in a week or two.

It will look something like:

custom steel, rigid, disc/ss-specific frame with ebb - Spooky-inspired geometry - Light enough to ride all day but burly enough to survive my glances with stupidity - Simple and cheap bmx parts where ever applicable - Short rear for climbing and trialsy moves - A dropped toptube for clearing my naughty bits during inevitable dabs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

i have a ....

. . rivendell all-rounder that would be the ticket.

lugged 753 steel, road-ish angles, long stays, 26 in wheels, horiz dropouts.

it has been a commuter, a fixie, raced a 24 hr off-road solo, toured, trained for an ironman triathlon, done fast group rides, cyclocross, and a few more. it did / does them all really ****ing well, too.

I'm feeling dirty, you?
    Neat Rock Lobster Pigtire!

For the dream SS bike, the daydream-draft looks like one hot spec...
    On-One Inbred Ti EBB, Inbred Ti fork, Chris King Disc SS rear+King Kogs, DT Swiss 240s Disc front, Magura Marta SL, DT Swiss Competition, DT Swiss ProLoc Brass, Mavic XM819, NoTubes sealant, FSA K-Force MegaExo , Surly SS chainrings, Crank Brothers Triple Ti , Wippermann 1GB , Thomson Elite seatpost & stem, Fi'zi;k Nisene CP Ti, Jeff Jones H-Bar and Oury Lock-Ons... have I covered everything?... wait yeah there's me the rider as well. (Tyres not shown but will be chosen to suit terrain, cos grinding nice rims is no fun .)
    Sexy Ti rigid SS... balance between durablity, comfort and lightweight, priorities ranked as showed "durabl..."
    Rigid fork=comfort?... how fast can I ride? really?, well I know not fast enough for suspension to beat Ti rigid+puffy tyre, don't shift gears on this bike, how about not tweaking the fork on climbs and stuff as well, still working on the "not braking, steering, pedaling, riding" part yet, KISS my man. Climbs with rigids are fukin awesome.

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Easy, if I could only have one bike forever and a half, I'd take Ventanarama's new Sycip - in my size, natch.

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Nazi
    from now to the end of days?

I'd have to go with my Litespeed 8speed gearie.
    Surly Cross Check. Currently a 1x8 w/ a flat bar, v-brakes, and a thumbshifter.
    Has been a fixie, a 27 speed, a singlespeed, had drop bars, moustache bars, cruiser bars, fat tires, skinny tires, etc. Can do everything from technical singletrack to centuries to touring.

baker

Penis Goat!
    My dream do-it-all-bike would have to be a Vanilla, either a cross or commuter frame. Hand-cut polished stainless lugs, polished horizontal dropouts with a derailleur hanger, painted an interesting green or blue. I'd keep at least two wheelsets, for on- and off-road, and use Avid discs to ease compatability between them. Double crankset with 34/49 rings, and a 12-25 cassette on the road wheel, 12-32 on the mountain one. Shimano Ultegra 9 STI levers mounted on Salsa Bell Lap bars.

Since that might be pricey, I'd probably just go with a Karate Monkey. It would do the same things, but sure wouldn't be as pretty.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Why would you want to have only one bike? Whats the fun in that?

Bikes not Bombs.....

Hard choice....

I guess it would be any of these three.

At least up to now...... maybe a different answer next year....

JS
    Thanks to all of you for your friendships on this board..... -

newbie boobie.
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Jerry
    I guess it would be any of these three.

At least up to now...... maybe a different answer next year....

JS
    OK... you better lock your doors at night...

Actually, lemme see some more of that FAT?
    It ain't easy being human.

Bikes not Bombs.....

1992 Yo Eddy

Quote Originally Posted by donkekus
    OK... you better lock your doors at night...

Actually, lemme see some more of that FAT?
    I bought this new in 1992 from Wheelsmith in Palo Alto Calif. I rode it for many miles. My wife wanted to ride a classy bike so I had it repainted and had the boys from The Path Bike shop rebuild it for her. She wanted Pink and Purple. I still love you Gina.... been married for 25 years and still in love with her.....

-JS-
    Thanks to all of you for your friendships on this board..... -

blame me for missed rides
    if i have to choose among all the bikes i already have, it would be the double cross.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Almost there

I've whittled the fleet down from 6 to 2 over the past 5 years. I'm left with the single/rigid Kona Kaboom, and the FG CX w/ EBB. The CX gets 80% of my attention: road, towpath, moderate singletrack. If it had clearance for wider tires and slightly different geometry, the Kona would be obsolete. This winter the Kona will be sold and the CX will either go under the knife again, or also be sold to finance a custom CX/29er. The idea of one bike is appealing to me in the way that one gear is appealing to me.

pepito
    Jun 2004
    I bought this new in 1992 from Wheelsmith in Palo Alto Calif. I rode it for many miles. My wife wanted to ride a classy bike so I had it repainted and had the boys from The Path Bike shop rebuild it for her. She wanted Pink and Purple. I still love you Gina.... been married for 25 years and still in love with her.....

-JS-
    dang! you must love her.

the_dude
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling" ~James E. Starrs

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I'm actually trying to narrow down my stable...

right now, the bike I'm contemplating, but I want some significant time demoing a 29er before I do it is...

Custom SyCip Unleaded/Diesel Ti. 29er

I'd have it built with a derailer hanger, and an EBB, so I could swap from geared to SS, depending on the mood.

My thought is I could go much more Chi Chi on geared components and SS components since I'd be saving a good amount of coin only having one frame, and easily be able to offset any weight penalty with the EBB, for when the bike is geared.

Got to sale my rarely used Ventana El Fuego first, listed in MTBR if anyone's interested

Oh and one other thing, you'd have to pry my Sycip SS CX bike from my cold dead hands, so I guess I'll always have at least two bikes.

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003

I'm with Jace...

I'm narrowing the stable down from 4 to 2. Roadie and the new project - custom steel 29er EBB with a der hanger and both disc and canti mounts and a rigid suspension corrected fork. I'll have both a mountain disc wheelset and cross disc wheelset for it as well as both mountain and cross bar sets. It can be a medium-travel geared hardtail (when the Reba 29er comes available) or an ultra efficient rigid SS or a crossie or a heavy roadie, although I'm planning on keeping my dedicated roadie bike for now.

Anyway, that is my one do-everything bike that will hopefully be all built up in a couple days. Hopefully. S

mtbr member
    now to the end of days... although i had a great first day on my ss yesterday, considering the pounding that i am taking, and the rate my body is aching, it better be something a tad cushier than a ss hardtail to get me to the end of days.

i'd prolly be happy with my superlight, but as i get older i lust for more travel, so i'd prolly go for a heckler built relatively light at 30lbs or so. Heck my Superlight is a "not so light" 27 lbs now.

but lately, i have been toying with the idea of an ventanna X-5. however the budget does not include that line item at this time.

in any case, i'd consider tossing the shifters and building up a FS bike as a ss. is that even possible? with a tensioner, i'd expect it to work?

mtbr member
    It'd have to be my Quasi. Let's me do stuff my rigid SS (and skills) don't let me.

BTW - you guys have some beautiful CXs!
    People don't think it be like it is, but it do - Oscar Gamble

giddy up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigtire
    One bike, eh. It will be my Lobster no question about it.

Did you have that rock lobster listed in a southern Cal classifed in the past few years? Or did you buy it out of one? I remember looking at it and almost bought it:-)

Nice bike.

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

newbie boobie.

-JS-

Whoa! That thing is abso-facking-lutely outstanding!

Where's the Ringle Post /Stem?

And Boone rings and everything?! WHOA.

mtbr member

Two votes...

Quote Originally Posted by weather
    if i have to choose among all the bikes i already have, it would be the double cross.
    I'll put my vote in for the double cross as well.
    James
    ---------------
    my bike sucks!

highly visible

Interesting exercise...

If I could only own one bike, it would need to be able to handle commuting, long road rides, mixed pavement/dirt adventure rides, and of course real mountain biking. For me, the best bike to do all of these things would be some kind of 29"er. I'm going to assume that it's still permissible for me to have multiple sets of wheels and tires, and to swap out other components seasonally as appropriate.

Gearing: I'm a dedicated SSer when it comes to mountain biking, but I'm back to gears for my commute thanks to some big hills. I would ideally need to be able to have a derailer hanger (I can swap gears in and out in less than 10 minutes). Or if my ideal SS-able frame isn't available with a hanger, I could at least run an internally geared hub (!), as on my ultimate winter commuter bike project, which by the way is nearly complete. Details will be posted next week.

Brakes: Can't live without those Avid discs for mountain biking and (as of next week) winter commuting. I could get along with V brakes for those purposes in summer, and I'd probably want to do so for weight savings. So the ideal frame would have both disc tabs and canti posts.

Suspension: Rigid in winter, possible suspension fork for summer riding (with lockout for road riding). White Bros. is the obvious choice here, possible lightweight rigid fork once the Vicious or Airborne becomes available. I love my Thudbuster for mountain biking but hate its bounce on the road. Maybe I'd compromise on the new mini-Thud or even an Airborne Ti post.

Controls: I can get along with the same saddle for all purposes, and I'd probably have to run flat bars with bar ends (possibly more than one set). I'd sacrifice road spinning ability for hill climbing and keep my mountain-bike crank length of 175.

And finally, the all-important Frame: It's got to be a 29"er, with either horizontal dropouts or an EBB, disc mounts, and optionally canti studs as well. My KM already has all of these features, although it's heavier than I'd like for extended road riding. So if I could only have one bike and it had to be a bike I already own, the KM would be it.

But ideally I'd want something lighter, maybe a lot lighter. Am I allowed to sell what I have and buy something new, as long as I still have only one bike? Let's see ... alumimum is out of the question, since I really doubt there are any alumimum 29"er frames that would give me the on-road smoothness I desire. High-end steel would be a possibility, though heavier. Hmm ... since we're talking about owning only one bike, I'd be willing to expand my budget to include Ti, though probably not custom Ti. Fortunately there is one production Ti 29" frame that is SS-capable, and it has both disc and canti mounts to boot: The Airborne Dreadnaught. That's my answer and I'm sticking to it.

Last edited by GlowBoy; 11-22-2004 at 06:45 PM.

Just Ride!

I tried Donkey but....

Hey Donkey, Yes I did put it up for sale and it was listed in the Socal Craigslist but changed my mind. I was selling it to finance a Crosscheck. Did you email me about it? I got tons of response from it but after a couple of days I pulled the ad. I just can't do it, Man.

Quote Originally Posted by donkey
    Did you have that rock lobster listed in a southern Cal classifed in the past few years? Or did you buy it out of one? I remember looking at it and almost bought it:-)

Nice bike.

B

pepito
    Jun 2004
    As long as we're dreaming, I might as well dream big. I'm thinking a custom Jones 29'er with 3-D spaceframe and forkt. I'd have it built up a la cross; drop bars baby! singled out of course, with a flip flop hub, and a second set of wheels for the road. I"ve always dreamed of a cross bike with a short travel fork, and the jones "vertically compliant" fork may just be the ticket. So whatcha think......2 parts Jeff Jones, 1 part Shiggy, and all parts bad ass.

the_dude

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

One would be hard

I'm trying to limit myself to TEN ( wife's orders)
    Tri Bike - Seven Tri
    Road Bike - Seven S8
    CX Bike - Seven S8
    FS Mtn - Seven Duo
    HT Mtn - Norco Team Ti
    Fixed Gear Road - Phil Wood PISSOFF # 18 ( should be finished soon)
    SS CX - Phil Wood PISSOFF # 22
    SS MTN - Phil Wood PISSOFF # 10
    29er - Jeff Jones 3D ( late next year)
    Track Bike - Vanilla ( late next year)

Wish List - David KIRK Terraplane Disc Touring with EBB

If I had to only have one, it would a very hard choice but The Jones 29er would have to get my vote
    Last edited by neville; 11-23-2004 at 03:58 PM.

Cold. Blue. Steel.

one bike???

wow- this is certainly tough.
    i believe my SS gets the nod since i use it for many purposes, including commuting when i don't want to ride my fixie Bianchi Pista.

i am trying to sell my '03 Klein Palomino (size large, hint-hint! let me know ) since i just don't ride it very much. and no bike deserves to hang in a garage 90% of the time...
    if i can sell it, then i would like to use the money to buy my current dream blingleSpeed: Moots Rigor Mootis SS with eccentric BB. and add a Fox 100 RLC or FX 100 fork on it. add some new XTR or Race Face Deus out-board bearing cranks with 32t Boone ring and 18t rear cassette cog. this will hang on some C.King SS Iso-Disc hubs mated to Stan's rims with MutanoRaptor or Nevegal Stik-E tires. Magura Marta SL disc brakes, Maxm or Easton carbon riser bars and seat post, Selle Italia SLR saddle, Ritchey WCS or Syntace 99 stem, Time Atac XS pedals, KMC or SRAM chain and lock-on grips. thinking this will come in under 20lbs, no problem.

well, got to get back to daydreaming now...
    Spinning and Grinning...

34N 118W

man

Quote Originally Posted by neville
    I'm trying to limit myself to TEN ( wife's orders)
    Tri Bike - Seven Tri
    Road Bike - Seven S8
    CX Bike - Seven S8
    FS Mtn - Seven Duo
    HT Mtn - Norco Team Ti
    Fixed Gear Road - Phil Wood PISSOFF # 18 ( should be finished soon)
    SS CX - Phil Wood PISSOFF # 22
    SS MTN - Phil WOOD # 10
    29er - Jeff Jones 3D ( late next year)
    Track Bike - Vanilla ( late next year)
    I shoulda been a firefighter.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Firefighter = not much money

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    I shoulda been a firefighter.
    Wife Stockbroker = lots of nice things

You have to be lucky though

As a side note * Thanks for the "Pumpkin Beer" head'sup , my wife's favourite food is Pumkin Pie and favourite drink is a cold beer, A friend bought a dozen back from Portland on Sunday. Good score points were earnt.
    Last edited by neville; 11-23-2004 at 02:36 PM.

34N 118W

cheers!

Wife Stockbroker = lots of nice things

You have to be lucky though
    tonight I raise my beer to the north in your honor!

"Hi honey - how was your day?"

"It was ok...think I'm gonna need another Seven though, if you could be a doll and make that happen"

"Sure thing babe. Let me just make dinner first..."

my Cross Check would have to get my vote as a solo ride. Fixie, freewheel, street, dirt, alley cat.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Cheers

But I do most of the cooking

Penis Goat!
    As a side note * Thanks for the "Pumpkin Beer" head'sup , my wife's favourite food is Pumkin Pie and favourite drink is a cold beer, A friend bought a dozen back from Portland on Sunday. Good score points were earnt.
    Homemade makes some pretty dang good Pumpkin ice cream. It's kinda weird though, the flavour goes away the more you eat, I guess when your mouth begins numbing from the cold. So it's best in small quantities.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    When money is no object, I would combine the bikes I have in one. A custom Ti 29-er, with EBB and derailleur-hanger to let me decide singlespeed or not,
    with rigid, suspension corrected Type II and suspension fork
    with baze-ons for racks when I go backcountrytouring
    with several wheelsets to change from singlespeed to gears, to touring wheels, to endurance racing

This way I can combine all my bikepleasures in one bike. Why do I own several now? This thread makes me wonder about the need for owning more bikes/frames.

Cubicle Fugitive

Me three. (nm)

. . .

29 inches and Pissed Off!

I think it will be my new Blinglespeed.

I pick it up tomorrow. 29er Piss Off. Thanks Brent.
    CaptainKana.com
    Mountain Biking.....Cheaper than a mistress.

ride your bike
    Quote Originally Posted by jonowee
    We shouldn't talk about geared bikes but the dream bike would be a 4-5" full susser and a disc-Rohloff.
    As soon as I lose 10 more lbs the pot o gold at the end of my rainbow is a rohloff....on my '03 turner 5 spot. This will be the day when my wife has to share the bed with a bike.

Taking it easy for all you sinners.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Smile easy one, RICHARD SACHS

don't get me wrong, i really love my 2 serotta 29ers, but i am ordering a Richard Sachs singlespeed cross bike that will fit 42c tires. gonna run phil 135mm fixed hubs, open pros, brooks saddle, moots stem and post, record cranks and on one dirt drops and pauls neo canti front brakes. I will post a pic in two years when the frame is done. go visit www.richardsachs.com.

pepito
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kana
    holy mother of all things bike related!! nice bike. gotta love those "spare no expense" bikes.

the_dude

newbie boobie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kana
    Is your EBB anodized?!

Not a regular
    Jan 2004

Only one?

All I can say is it's a darn good thing I don't have to actually make that decision. Kind of like Sophie's Choice.

mtbr member

One bike or one mountain bike?

I think I would have to have one of both:

Mountain:

Jones 3D 29er with vertically compliant frame/fork
    Derailleur hanger and Phil Wood EBB

Road(ish):

Vanilla Road/Cross
    ENOed out spare wheel for some fixed action when called upon
    Clearance for cross tires or fenders
    Avid road discs

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Richard Sachs

never mind posting pics in 2 years, just got word for RM it is a 36month wait......still it will be the one....

www.richardsachs.com

mtbr member

my trusty

Surly 1x1 will do the job.
    it is rugged enough to take a severe beating and come out smiling (yes, bikes do smile).
    it is versatile enough to fit 700c wheels with road or CX tires (using a fixed gear for braking).
    it is cheap and unpretentious enough to lock up outside the grocery store without worry.
    it says 'natch on the frame.
    it is so cheap, the money I saved on the frame will buy me tires, chains, wheels and stuff "until the end of days".
    Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go. (O. Wilde)

Recovering Weight Weenie
    i think what we've all learned from this, is that....
    we need to start a cyclocross board or at least start cxr.com

geez people... rid yourselves of the inner roadie already....

Where's Toto?
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    i think what we've all learned from this, is that....
    we need to start a cyclocross board or at least start cxr.com

geez people... rid yourselves of the inner roadie already....
    I would hang out on a cyclocross board too. I'm not prejudiced towards any particular group. There is no inner roadie - just one rider. I rarely race on the road. I race mountain bikes and enjoy it. However, I'm passionate about cyclocross ---- and for the life of me can't figure out why they only run races in the Fall.

I own a Spot 26" SS and a Spot cyclocross SS (as well as several other geared MTB and road bikes). If I could have only one bike (of the ones I currently own), it'd be my Merlin crosser. It does just about everything. Now -- if we're talking a scratch build - a 29'er for sure.

So how about that 'cross board???

Just Ride!

Well..

Quote Originally Posted by endure26
    I would hang out on a cyclocross board too. I'm not prejudiced towards any particular group. There is no inner roadie - just one rider. I rarely race on the road. I race mountain bikes and enjoy it. However, I'm passionate about cyclocross ---- and for the life of me can't figure out why they only run races in the Fall.

I own a Spot 26" SS and a Spot cyclocross SS (as well as several other geared MTB and road bikes). If I could have only one bike (of the ones I currently own), it'd be my Merlin crosser. It does just about everything. Now -- if we're talking a scratch build - a 29'er for sure.

So how about that 'cross board???
    There is a cross board in the RoadbikeREVIEW.com. I can't really put myself in a specific cycling category. I just love to ride. Don't get me wrong , I do have pretty much every category of bikes in my stable, well almost.( Singlespeed,Road/Cyclocross,26 mtb, 28 mtb, Beach cruiser ) and I love to ride them all so I consider myself an avid cyclist. But if I need to narrow down my stable to one bike and I need a do it all bike it will be my cyclocross bike. And for the MTB content I do ride my cross bike offroad a LOT. Man, it's too early and I need coffee. Happy Turkey Day

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

Surly Cross Check

Quote Originally Posted by Bike Nazi
    Have to be this sweet beauty I built up last week. It truly is a "do it all" bike from singletrack to road to commuter to possible singlespeed. It does nothing exceptionally, but it does everything well. What more can you ask?

mtbr member

I'm with you...(all rounder)

i can take her on the trails, on the road, touring, commuting, grocery shopping, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mon t
    . . rivendell all-rounder that would be the ticket.

lugged 753 steel, road-ish angles, long stays, 26 in wheels, horiz dropouts.

it has been a commuter, a fixie, raced a 24 hr off-road solo, toured, trained for an ironman triathlon, done fast group rides, cyclocross, and a few more. it did / does them all really ****ing well, too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

one bike!

I am very virtuous, I never ride more than one bike at a time.

The choice has got to be 1x1

Witty McWitterson
    wellgoddam Jerry. That Fat has got to be the damn coolest bike I've seen in a long time. Bling as all git out, yet sublte about it. Kinda. My wife would love it too. Do you lock your doors?
    Just a regular guy.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004

Does it all