If my SS were a shoe...- Mtbr.com
    Apr 2007

If my SS were a shoe...

Anyone own a pair of these? Just bought some yesterday from a friend's recommendation ("barefoot" runner). Seems in conjuction with the SS mentality---simpler = better, less = more, etc. Felt weird and cool walking around the neighborhood yesterday...kind of like the first SS ride.

mtbr member
    are you serious you got those?

really?

they look like gloves for your feet.

Apr 2007
    Wait a few days and I'll have learned to give you the finger with my gloved foot. The really smelly kind.

They're for running (road or trail), and hiking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    Wait a few days and I'll have learned to give you the finger with my gloved foot. The really smelly kind.

They're for running (road or trail), and hiking.
    what if you're running from some rednecks through a field and you step on dog doo?
    What if you step on a nail?
    can they help you climb up trees like an angry monkey?
    will they ever come out with the SPD version?
    When you give me the finger, will it be because you can grab things with your opposable toe?

so many questions...

your toe dexterity will increase, giving you the unnatural ability to text with your feet, paint, even change a diaper. Put all this on Youtube after I become your celebrity status manager.

mtbr member
    Sell em and have em, everyone at my shop has at least one pair...we can't keep them in stock!

Ever since "Born to Run" came out everyone is going crazy about barefoot running, walking, hiking....

Their the next "Crocs", they'll be done in a couple of seasons....maybe

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    I thought about getting some but realized they are not practical for riding, my brother has some and he gets a lot of weird looks from everybody when we go anywhere with him
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    what if you're running from some rednecks through a field and you step on dog doo?
    What if you step on a nail?
    can they help you climb up trees like an angry monkey?
    will they ever come out with the SPD version?
    When you give me the finger, will it be because you can grab things with your opposable toe?

so many questions...

your toe dexterity will increase, giving you the unnatural ability to text with your feet, paint, even change a diaper. Put all this on Youtube after I become your celebrity status manager.
    You're pretty inquisitive for a guy that sells his own lube. I'll get back to you in a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by farrisw1
    Sell em and have em, everyone at my shop has at least one pair...we can't keep them in stock!

Ever since "Born to Run" came out everyone is going crazy about barefoot running, walking, hiking....

Their the next "Crocs", they'll be done in a couple of seasons....maybe
    The same friend recommended that book, which I'm about 1/3 way through. Interesting read. I'm not sure where this "new fad" will go---I'm just merely trying it out to see if I like it. But Raramuri finishing first/second/third in the Leadville 100 footrace says something. (I know.......---it's not the shoes).

mtbr member
    You're pretty inquisitive for a guy that sells his own lube. I'll get back to you in a few weeks.

The same friend recommended that book, which I'm about 1/3 way through. Interesting read. I'm not sure where this "new fad" will go---I'm just merely trying it out to see if I like it. But Raramuri finishing first/second/third in the Leadville 100 footrace says something. (I know.......---it's not the shoes).

I'm just teasin'

I just got done reading Twilight and I feel like a whiner.

mtbr member

Anyone own a pair of these? Just bought some yesterday from a friend's recommendation ("barefoot" runner). Seems in conjuction with the SS mentality---simpler = better, less = more, etc. Felt weird and cool walking around the neighborhood yesterday...kind of like the first SS ride.
    What brand are they?

Ovaries on the Outside
    My roommate has them, but he's well past the days where he strings consecutive half miles together on runs. I kinda want a pair, as my legs and feet do better with a flexible sole, but as things are, I head out to the soccer field near my house and just run barefoot in the grass.

I always thought SS shoes were velco strap roos; look swank, simple securing mechanism and everyone wants one, but not everyone can handle the ride.

Apr 2007
    What brand are they?
    Vibram Five Fingers (VFF). KSO model. There are various forms of these "barefoot running shoes", such as the ones on www.invisibleshoe.com. Interesting concept, which my friend swears by.

Now that you've finished up Twilight, pick up "Born to Run". Won't have the Edward-esque charm or sizzling bod-of-Jacob, but plenty of scantly-clad tribesmen. Bumblebee Tuna.

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    I always thought SS shoes were velco strap roos; look swank, simple securing mechanism and everyone wants one, but not everyone can handle the ride.
    One major element of SS shoes I failed to mention specifically (but covered under "etc") - Geek factor. Which the Roos and VFF's both possess. Only thing keeping the Roos out of the running is the double straps (only need single).

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have the black KSO's and love them... I do look like I have gorilla feet though..

KSO=KEEP **** OUT!

mtbr member
    No way. My SS would never look anywhere near that ridiculous.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I don't get it. I am no orthodicts(sp?) expert, but that can't be good for your feet. I understand it might be comfortable walking around but running? I see feet and back problems in the future. Oh wait it is like SS, we will all have knee problems at some point.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkie
    I don't get it. I am no orthodicts(sp?) expert, but that can't be good for your feet. I understand it might be comfortable walking around but running? I see feet and back problems in the future. Oh wait it is like SS, we will all have knee problems at some point.
    The premise is that the body is structured for a certain type of gait. Your heel bone is relatively porous and can absorb a bit of a hit. Your tendons, the muscles of your feet all work in controlling your movements and influence the movements of your legs. Modern running shoes provide a lot of cushion and limit the muscles/tendons in a foot to develop, which makes your foot, the conduit between your body and the surface you are running on the weakest link.

As a runner, I had fairly regular injuries- Achilles tendinitis, inflamed plantar fasciitis, etc. I read a couple studies and switched to racing flats for all my runs and never looked back. Less cushioning made me modify my stride, as the heel strike that I was accustomed to kinda hurt on pavement and I actually got faster- so I turned into 7:30 pace time for long distances, 6:30 for shorter. Not bad for 200 lbs monster.

You might have a different experience, but they are a good/great idea and I hope pnut loves the **** out of them. They just aren't as cool as Roos, even with the strap issue.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    My question is do they have to make them with all the toes in their own little glove? Why can't the make a nice flexible sole that lools like a normal shoe. That way you can have the optimal running shoe AND they don't look retarded as f*ck!

I think the theory is great, it's just the design that I don't really see they need for. Seems like you could just put some cloth over the toe part and it'll look just like a regular shoe with all the benefits of a barefoot shoe. Seems like a little bit of anatomy mixed with a marketing gimmick...albeit a very ugly marketing gimmick.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by GDubT
    My question is do they have to make them with all the toes in their own little glove? Why can't the make a nice flexible sole that lools like a normal shoe. That way you can have the optimal running shoe AND they don't look retarded as f*ck!

I think the theory is great, it's just the design that I don't really see they need for. Seems like you could just put some cloth over the toe part and it'll look just like a regular shoe with all the benefits of a barefoot shoe. Seems like a little bit of anatomy mixed with a marketing gimmick...albeit a very ugly marketing gimmick.
    Sure, but without those toes, you'll never learn to masturbate with your feet.

mtbr member
    Take it up with whoever designed our feet.

Apr 2007

Actually, there are plenty of options available for "minimalist" shoes. Back in my track/xc days in high school, I ran exclusively on racing flats that had soles made of mouse pads. These are still available today (racing flats)---just go to any running store. Also, shoe companies are starting to make "barefoot" running shoes, like Nike Free.

mtbr member
    Actually, there are plenty of options available for "minimalist" shoes. Back in my track/xc days in high school, I ran exclusively on racing flats that had soles made of mouse pads. These are still available today (racing flats)---just go to any running store. Also, shoe companies are starting to make "barefoot" running shoes, like Nike Free.
    I wish I still had them... when I used to do triathlons, I was sold on these Nike shoes that separated the big toe from the rest of the toes. It did have a lot of cushion for a running shoe. Last main run for them was the Chicago triathlon... then I just wore them as slippers, and then, I threw them away after they said enough is enough. I bought them in 1996. Threw them out in 2006.

Retro Grouch
    Actually, there are plenty of options available for "minimalist" shoes. Back in my track/xc days in high school, I ran exclusively on racing flats that had soles made of mouse pads.
    How many mice does it take to make a pair of mouse pad shoes?
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

Apr 2007
    Smart ones can make one by themselves.

Ernesto - if you liked racing flats, you need to at least give these a try. Then we can go climb trees and text.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have a pair of black ones, and also think it looks like gorilla feet. Mine are a lot tighter than yours. The velcro strap across the top barely goes across the top half of my foot, so it leaves 2 inches of exposed velcro which sucks. I like them so far. I don't even run with them since I don't run. I can say that running in them is more intuitive than most people realize. If fact I feel more weird just walking in them.

mtbr member
    Smart ones can make one by themselves.

Ernesto - if you liked racing flats, you need to at least give these a try. Then we can go climb trees and text.
    I would like to try them.
    Can we hang upside down as we text?

smell the saddle...

I just got done reading Twilight and I feel like a whiner.
    I hope that's a joke.

Foot-gloves:
    Just when you think nothing could be worse then the invention of crocks a new contender arises…

mtbr member
    Read "Born to Run", I guarantee it will change your whole perspective on the modern shoe.....or at least make you wonder

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    so your SINGLEspeed version of a shoe has not a SINGLE toebox, but rather 5 individual toeboxes requiring about 5 times the stitching.

multi-toed shoe is the antithesis of the singlespeed ethos of simplifying.

I dub this the "internal gear hub" version of a shoe.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stumonky
    I hope that's a joke.

Foot-gloves:
    Just when you think nothing could be worse then the invention of crocks a new contender arises…
    of course it is a joke. Twilight is for fat chicks

smell the saddle...
    of course it is a joke. Twilight is for fat chicks
    Written by one made for the same.

My favorite review:
    Stephen King compared the Mormon author to JK Rowling, saying that both authors were "speaking directly to young people". "The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can't write worth a darn. She's not very good," he told an interviewer from USA Weekend.

mtbr member

My favorite review:
    Stephen King compared the Mormon author to JK Rowling, saying that both authors were "speaking directly to young people". "The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can't write worth a darn. She's not very good," he told an interviewer from USA Weekend.
    Twilight Cereal - now with extra emo berries.

https://theoatmeal.com/story/twilight

Occasionally engaged…
    My question is do they have to make them with all the toes in their own little glove? Why can't the make a nice flexible sole that lools like a normal shoe.
    I've been running about 20 miles a week for a couple of months in minimalist shoes, either the Vibram FF KSO Trek or a pair of huaraches made from a kit I got from invisibleshoes.com. While both types of shoes preform similarly on pavement, I far and away prefer the Vibram FF experience on trails. I am absolutely sure footed as the toes flex independently over the constantly changing terrain, be it boulders, small rocks, roots or logs, allowing me to conform to the ground with each step (kind of like a flexible, low psi tire). I don't yet and may never have the ability to run truly barefoot on anything other than grass or smooth pavement, but that's the only way I can imagine surpassing the sure footed, light, springy step I have in Vibram FF shoes. Another benefit of these shoes is that, for whatever reason, I've got less lower back, leg, and foot pain using these shoes compared to a more standard running shoe despite running more miles (I was always limited by pain when trying to run in standard shoes).

And this thread is further proof that mtbers are actually more fashion conscience than most other groups...
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

nothing to see here
    This thread delivers.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

Ovaries on the Outside

My favorite review:
    I'm pretty sure Stephenie Meyer and Stephen King bounce ideas off each other. Meyer may make Jane Austen turn in her grave, but I'm surprised Stephen King hasn't made Homer rise from his grave and start eating human brains.

Anywho, I like Twilight and in its honor I am doing my next bike build Twilight style. It'll glitter in the sun and, even though really old, will hang out around high schools, hoping to score babes.

mtbr member
    I really want some of those, but just don't know if I will actually use them outside the house they just look so weird!

mtbr member
    hmmmm, maybe I could lay down some BigFoot tracks with these.....

Apr 2007
    Did a 5 miler yesterday and calves are pretty sore. Getting used to changing up my running technique, but it was actually pretty fun.

dameon - I only wear these running/hiking and are not my day to day shoes. They do look funky. I took the green ones back initially (too small) and got some solid black ones. Ought to go very well with my gorilla costume.

PeT - I agree with you on your points. Certainly more sure footed vs sandles.

And most here aren't that bad about caring mich about image. Especially compared to those fixie forums.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Saw bike mechanic at lbs with these.

Members who have read this thread: 0