Ideas for a custom frame?- Mtbr.com
    Expert Crasher
    Apr 2009

Ideas for a custom frame?

Thinking about having a frame built, looking for opinions.

I would like things to be as close to my GF rig as possible, a few degrees more slack on the headtube would make me a little more comfortable on the downhills and ledges, and hopefully keep me behind the bars more often. I have a thing about going over them a little too much. Maybe a longer fork would do the same thing, and leave me more options?

More mud clearance...I am thinking about a curved seat tube. My seat is all the way back on the post, I think curving the seat tube would give me a little more room for mud, and move me back a little more on the bike, again keeping me behind the bars, and allow for shorter chainstays at the same time.

Chain tension...I hate the stock rig ebb, had so many problems with mine it turned me off from ebbs altogether. I am pretty much set on gearing, 32:18 is right where i want to be.

I am wondering what peeps think of just having the chainstays built so 32:18 comes out to be the magic gear? Seems the best way to keep things simple to me.

Thoughts, ideas, advice and criticism are welcome.
    If you never crash you are not trying hard enough.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    check out Siren, he can do something nice for a decent price. His "standard customs" are a bit more slack in the headtube angle, so it might work for you. As far as your magic gear idea, sounds cool, but i'd be worried about chain stretch and all that good stuff. There's alot of variables, and i cant see it being the best option. Brendan at Siren uses a really good sliding dropout and you should have no issues with it. disclaimer: he's a customer of mine, and i'm a soon-to-be customer of his, along with a riding buddy.

Bike Dork
    Quote Originally Posted by willy ride
    I am wondering what peeps think of just having the chainstays built so 32:18 comes out to be the magic gear? Seems the best way to keep things simple to me.
    Things were fine right up to this. Don't get me wrong I love magic gears and have been using fix-me-up since the '90s. The problem is magic gear set-ups don't allow for much chain stretch or rings and cogs that aren't perfectly round. Also you may only run 32/18 right now, but in a couple of years and coming off an injury you may want to throw a 20 cog on there, or you get super fit and want a 34 or 36 ring. Use horizontal drops like the Paul's if you don't want sliders.

Training for vacation
    Don’t count on a magic gear, I really think that it is a compromise. Who is to say that you will get exactly the length you need, with perfectly concentric gears, and zero chain wear? I would think that it would be a waste of money if you are going custom. The most interesting chain method to me right now is Whyte’s Ti 19 and the similar Ventana pivoting rear ends.

As for EBB I think that a Split shell works better than a set or expanding wedge but whatever. Either method of chain tension except for ghost ring / magic gear/ tensioner will change some aspect of the bike’s geo.

If you are paying a lot of money and waiting months/years for a frame go as versatile as you can with out killing the aesthetic look of the bike. Paragon sliders allow you to add drop outs for Rolhoff, SS, or geared. They do look a bit wonky though and I understand the aesthetic of the magic gear for clean lines.

If you want massive clearance look at getting a yoke made for the BB to CS connection in addition to the karate monkey seat tube. like Some customer builder have made this out of a U shape steel plate while others CNC something fancier.

mtbr member
    I would take a hard look at the Misfit DiSSent (fe) about as custom as you can get without the cost of custom. Paragon sliders work well IMO...

Expert Crasher
    Apr 2009
    Can the chainstay idea, eno hub or sliders, could be convinced on the right ebb, still gotta think on that.

Leaning pretty heavy towards Sisu Cycles http://www.sisucycles.com local custom badazzness is very appealing. Went to high school with this guy...keep the money at home methinks. Gonna try to talk to him next week.

Forgot to mention S&S couplers, the whole point is to be able to take the bike on the plane with me. This puts any stock frames with oval or funny tubing out of the question, and pricewise with a stock frame and S&S conversion, I think I will be in the same range, or close to it with a custom frame.

Ebb and eno hub appeal to me for simplicity with disc brakes, don't know too much about sliders.

Wait time is 4-16 weeks, not too long for me, and his complete bikes are in my price range. Hoping to get a frame only and switch my parts over, so things shouldn't get out of control moneywise...i hope.

ISAR..drooling all over your cranks, hope to get them on the bike by the time it's all over.

Any other ideas?
    Last edited by willy ride; 10-23-2009 at 04:55 PM.
    If you never crash you are not trying hard enough.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

custom builder SS

check out Rock Lobster Cycles, I have a couple of his bikes. SS being one

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by willy ride
    ...I am thinking about a curved seat tube. My seat is all the way back on the post, I think curving the seat tube would give me a little more room for mud, and move me back a little more on the bike, again keeping me behind the bars, and allow for shorter chainstays at the same time.....
    i am in the process of ordering a Hunter.....local to Norcal...steels rigs...and GREAT rep:

not so sure on the 'magic' ratio...chain stretch really makes things sloppy after a while..IMHO
    Click Here for Forum Rules

Members who have read this thread: 0