Iceman Gearing- Mtbr.com

Thread: Iceman Gearing

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Iceman Gearing

Any Iceman survivors out there? I'm looking at participating next year and wanted to see what some effective gear combo's were. I've raced it geared before and recall the course being pretty flat (I now live in Western Colorado). Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

go here.....

Quote Originally Posted by 1-timer
    Any Iceman survivors out there? I'm looking at participating next year and wanted to see what some effective gear combo's were. I've raced it geared before and recall the course being pretty flat (I now live in Western Colorado). Thanks!

Iceman is discussed in way too much detail here: www.mmba.org It's the Michigan Mountain Bike Association webpage. I'm sure they can answer your question.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I ran 38x17. I should have run a harder gear. The winner ran something like 40x15.

www.mmba.org has a ton more information if you are interested.

Joe

'Calm Down'
    The winner of the Single Speed class rides for Slingshot Bikes and ran a 42x16.

A buddy of mine rode a 29er running a 33x20 gear. He finished the course in 2:05. Needless to say, he has a fixed gear background and has an amazing ability to spin.

I rode a 34x15 which seemed a bit tall for my lack of fitness. But that seemed to be a common gear for the people I talked to. It was OK for the flat first part and I made most of the hills at the end.

jw

Any Iceman survivors out there? I'm looking at participating next year and wanted to see what some effective gear combo's were. I've raced it geared before and recall the course being pretty flat (I now live in Western Colorado).
    -

"And single-speeding 29ers are mountain biking's equivalent of Scientologists..." - Captain Dondo

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I ran a 34X16 with 29" wheels and it was perfect for my fitness this year. The Iceman course is basically a sprint with 4 running climbs and a few more ridable climbs, most coming in the last 10 miles. I have been able to run a 36X 16 in the past but was in better shape but my finnish time was not that differant.

mtbr member
    Last year I ran 42x18 (26" wheels) and finished 1:57. This year, I ran 39x16 fixed (26" wheels) and finished 11 minutes slower. The gear was harder to push, but then again, the course was about 1.5 miles longer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

3rd place

i rode a 34x16 on a 29er. I rode with the second place guy most of the race, not sure what he chose but we were together until the end

check out the bike i rode in the Black Sheep rigid ti 29er thread

N+1

I rode my Walt 29er at 32x16 w/ 180s (59 inches), which was fine for a 1:54 pace. Next year, I'm stepping up a couple inches, probably 34x16. Dstrong, that's cool to hear that a 34x16 can ride into the low 1:40's. Where do you ride mostly?
    GET Bret Weir, I said.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I rode a 26" Bianch P.U.S.S. with a 36x16 and loved it!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The SS class has grown a LOT larger in recent years (very cool), and there are some real animals riding in it...big gears, crazy fast times, etc.

That being said, I wussed out and rode the 8-mile Slush Cup on our 27-speed mountain tandem with my 5-year-old daughter again this year. At 5 yrs., she's a 3-year veteran of the race (proud dad). With the stoker kit I use, she can only coast if I do, so she's doing a lot of work back there. I miss riding SS, but wouldn't trade the ride with my daughter for the world. Next year...Slush Cup with both of my daughters using the mountain tandem AND trail-a-bike.

Congrats to all you crazy ba$tards that tackle this course year-after-year on a SS. Way to go!

Craig
    I dig steel-framed bikes of all shapes and sizes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

How can You say.......

Quote Originally Posted by Bianchi Jay
    I rode a 26" Bianch P.U.S.S. with a 36x16 and loved it!
    You loved the gear? You sucked at that race, Mr. tire slime!

Members who have read this thread: 0