Iceman...- Mtbr.com

Thread: Iceman...

[email protected] da dumb

Iceman...

The weather for this year's Iceman was down right freaky. Sunshine and a 55 degree temperature welcomed everyone at the start. I'm glad I decided to chuck the arm/leg warmers.
    Singlespeeders were representing bigtime in field of 61. There were even a few SS'rs in other classes. There was a SSr in the Pro class and the winner on the 40-45 expert was a SSr! The finish times of the SSrs were freaking fast!
    Can't wait till next year!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, it was the nicest weather in the 6 years that I have been up there for the race, and a stark contrast to last year's weather. I didn't run SS this year, though...I rode the Slush Cup with my 4-year-old daughter on our mountain tandem. She rocked! She's a 2-year veteran of the Slush Cup now. No pics from this year yet, but here are a couple from last year when she was only 3.

Craig

I dig steel-framed bikes of all shapes and sizes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joyride1x1
    Singlespeeders were representing bigtime in field of 61. There were even a few SS'rs in other classes. There was a SSr in the Pro class and the winner on the 40-45 expert was a SSr! The finish times of the SSrs were freaking fast!
    Can't wait till next year!
    The race was awesome this year.
    Just curious - I ran a geared bike and some of the SS guys finished 20 min. faster than me. How did you pick a ratio? I was 44:11 on some of the flats and 32:32 on some of the worst climbs.

Quote Originally Posted by craig
    The race was awesome this year.
    Just curious - I ran a geared bike and some of the SS guys finished 20 min. faster than me. How did you pick a ratio? I was 44:11 on some of the flats and 32:32 on some of the worst climbs.
    I mull over what gear to use every year. I ended up going 36/16. I couldv'e gone a little harder even. I managed to climb most the hills. I ran up the sand pit hill though. The guy who got 3rd in the SS class went 44/16!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I ran a 38x16 and made it up all but 4 hills (okay, one was a sand pit) and finished 8th. If the conditions are as good next year, I'd consider a 40x16.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I ran 38/14 and dropped 5 spots in the last 3 miles, my legs were done. Probably go 38/16 next year.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialK2004
    I ran 38/14 and dropped 5 spots in the last 3 miles, my legs were done. Probably go 38/16 next year.

I raced the Iceman when I lived in TC (10 years ago) and spend a few weeks there every summer. I keep a retro Klein rascal SS for riding the un-ending single track around the Vasa trail. I'm going to race the Iceman next year on my other SS. I have also been toying with gearing ratios. What were the top finish times for the SS. It appeared that the SS started last, were there lots of people in your way? Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by 1-timer
    IWhat were the top finish times for the SS. It appeared that the SS started last, were there lots of people in your way? Thanks for the input.
    The 1st place SS time was 1:38:32...only 7 min behind the overall winner! The SS class started with the expert tandems after the experts and pros. The key is getting in front of the tandems as soon as possible. It's a little easier now since the road section at the beginning was eliminated. See you next year.