I9 ss & King ss freewheel length?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

I9 ss & King ss freewheel length?

Anyone know if the two are the same length? Ive seen a mod that Jeff jones did with a 6 speed xtr cassette on a king hub. Just wondering if the I9 would fit the same amt of gears before i buy one and hack it up...Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I'm not sure, I couldn't find anything detailing the spec's on the I9 site, doesn't mean it's not there, just that I couldn't find it. Best bet is to contact them directly and ask, they're a cool company I'm sure they'd lead you in the right direction.

[email protected]

BTW

It's a casette body, not a "freewheel"... not to be an ass, but if you do contact them have the right lingo ;o)

Out spokin'

Interesting.......

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob
    ... BTW

It's a casette body, not a "freewheel"...
    Personally I would have called it a freehub body. Probably just a geographic dialect thing...

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member

right you are Sparty....

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Personally I would have called it a freehub body. Probably just a geographic dialect thing...

--Sparty
    Damn, I've been a yahoo and calling it the wrong thing all this time. From the I9 site

"Section 2: Freehub Drive Mechanism Service
    The recommended inspection and service interval for Industry Nine’s patented drive mechanism is annually. This is a recommendation
    only, and may have to be adjusted for severe climates, wet environments, frequency of riding, etc. It is recommended to service the
    drive mechanism during bearing replacement, as it must be disassembled to perform this maintenance."

Although from your neck of the woods I would have thought you would have called it a "Drive Shell" ;D

From the King site

"Check and Service RingDrive™and Drive Shell: "

War machine member
    If I'm not mistaken the literature I got with my I-9 ss wheelset says that you can fit 5 cogs on the freehub body.

edit: Scratch that, per the web-site, 4 9-speed cogs will fit on the freehub body.

mtbr member

Thanks for the info

Looks like 4 it is then. I was hoping for at least 5, must be a bit shorter than a king then.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dosboy
    Looks like 4 it is then. I was hoping for at least 5, must be a bit shorter than a king then.
    I've got a set on order and when I spoke to the guys @ I9 they said it was possible or at least it had been done, to get a 5th cog on their hub. I guess I'll find out in sometime next year (mid January) .

twinkie
    May 2004
    For the record, you can fit 5 - 9spd cogs and spacers onto an Industry Nine SS freehub body.

Disclaimer: I am an I-9 employee.

mtbr member
    Just so you guys know, they used to make the cassettes with the 'freewheel' mech in the gear unit too, which adds to the confusion. Heck, maybe they still do!

mtbr member

Ive got

a sram 990 cassette on the way. i'll let you boys know if all 5 fit on there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by losjefes
    For the record, you can fit 5 - 9spd cogs and spacers onto an Industry Nine SS freehub body.

Disclaimer: I am an I-9 employee.
    How are my wheels coming along?

twinkie
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by robenne
    How are my wheels coming along?
    Who did you order them through and a quick description please.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by losjefes
    Who did you order them through and a quick description please.

I was just kidding around with you. It's only been two weeks or so..... but since you asked... they are the Stan Arch 29ers being built with the blue hubs and blue spoke fading to silver ones.

mtbr member
    Hey dosboy, what did you end up with on your I9s. I'm considering that same thing with mine.

mtbr member
    If your referring ot the cassette i ground down a sram 990 to fit 6 gears. It took a while though. I would recomment trying a shimano xt cassette, i think there easier to convert

breathing helium
    Dosboy, did you give up on the Rohloff? I recall you asking about one a while back and thought you had one on your Sheep. I'm glad you asked this question because I'm thinking of doing the same thing with a set of I9 SS wheels. FWIW, I think that Jones uses an XT cassette for his 4 or 5 speed conversions.

Members who have read this thread: 0