I won my first race yesterday!- Mtbr.com
    CB2
    Jam Econo

I won my first race yesterday!

I won my first race yesterday. It was my second attempt in the Singlespeed open class (the first I DNF'd with a mechanical).
    I lined up in a bad spot, all the way to the right, and had to go around a tree on the starting straight. I was in third when we turned into the woods. I passed for second and went after the guy in first. He put up a little bit of a fight, but once we got to the twisty stuff I finally put a gap between us.
    After only a third of a lap, I was putting a pretty big gap on the field. I passed a lot of the 20-29 years olds, the age group in front of us (in the end I guess I passed them all). On the second lap I couldn't see anyone in front or behind me. I started lapping the women. On the last lap, about 1.5 miles from the finish I dropped my chain. I wasn't too worried about it since I had not seen another singlespeed since the first lap. I got the chain back on and started going again and then I hear a sound behind me, I turn and recognize him as another SSer. I turned on what little gas I had left, and tried to get away from him. As we got to the tighter singletrack before the finish we got caught behind lapped juniors, in my head I felt this was giving him an opportunity to get right back on my wheel. When we got out of the woods, I just buried myself on the finish stretch and hill. I won by 26 second.
    They guy who came in second got tipped off in the feed zone going into the last lap that I was only a minute ahead so he had really turned it on trying to catch me. He was hoping to sit on my wheel for a couple of minutes after catching me, but fortunately for me I heard him.
    This was the best result I've had with or without gears.
    The singlespeed class was the fastest of all the sport level groups by a pretty wide margin.

"Its All Good"
    Well done CB2, sounds a blast of a race, full on the whole way.... You hard fella's on SS
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Recovering couch patato
    Congrats!
    Funny that you guys are the fastest sports out there. Go expert!

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    Congrats!
    Funny that you guys are the fastest sports out there. Go expert!
    That would require the purchase of a license, which is hard to justify for the 3 or 4 mtb races I plan to do this year.
    But I must say I would be curious to see if I could hold the tempo for 1 more lap...

mtbr member
    How long of a race was it?
    And a good day to you sir!

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    congrats, CB2!

great result!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Good race. Probably time to move up!
    How is your drivetrain set up? I'm curious why the chain dropped.

mtbr member
    Congratulations!!! Way to kick ass CB2!!!

Did you race with the Stumpy??

CB2
    Jam Econo
    I raced my rigid Stumpjumper with ground out dropouts to accommodate a 441/2 link chain. I think the half-link just got a (un)lucky jump on the freewheel, but I think I'm going to put horizontal dropouts on my Salsa to avoid any future issues.
    As far as moving up, the best I've ever finished before is fifth. I think I should be able to enjoy a couple of good finishes before I have to move up to expert.

mtbr member
    Congratulations on the win. Nice to see SSers beating all the geared sport racers. Just goes to show that not only is it more fun to ride SS(IMO) but you can also win races on a SS.

mtbr member
    I get the feeling that the SS open class will always have some amazing riders that could easily hang with experts. But it is an open class, so those who pick up the SS and hope for an easy win in the SS category - tough luck.
    Last edited by serious; 04-30-2007 at 01:50 PM.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2
    I think I should be able to enjoy a couple of good finishes before I have to move up to expert.
    ss is an open class. youll never "have" to move up to expert no matter how many times you win.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

Bored
    Quote Originally Posted by serious
    I get the feeling that the SS open class will always have some amazing riders that could easily hang with experts. But it is an open class, so those who pick up the SS and hope for an easy win in the SS category - tough luck.
    If you are refering to who won yesterday's O-Cup SS race, I think he can hang with more than the expert class... have a look down to position 35

http://sanfrangrandprix.com/resultsIndividual.asp
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

mtbr member
    bigwheel,

Actually I was not reallly thinking about our O-Cup race, and I am not familiar with # 35. But if he won the Mansfield O-Cup, then I see what you mean. I still cannot say anything negative about this as long as it is an open class.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Members who have read this thread: 0