I want to simulate single speed b-4 I make it final.- Mtbr.com
    bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

I want to simulate single speed b-4 I make it final.

I have the standard 22-32-44.....11/34 set up. What would be a common gear to ride in that is very close to what most SS's are ?

mtbr member
    26" wheels?

32/15 or 32/17, depending on the terrain you're riding in.
    Ride more!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    IMO, you will not have the same effect. Riding a SS drive chain is very efficient - - no drag from the derailluer pulleys and no extra weight from the 7/8 other cogs and 22 other chainrings. If you try and find a magic ratio for your existing bike, you will get a better idea. Or maybe borrow a bike or an ENO wheel from a friend.
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Unfortunately, it just doesn't work to see what ss is like by picking a gear and not shifting. I can't explain why, but it just feels totally different. Many times before I got my singlespeed, I'd tried this, and always decided it would be too hard and no fun. Finally I just got an ss bike, and it turned out to be a revelation, more fun and way easier than I thought it would be.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    ^ ^ ^

+1

The only way to 'get the feel of a SS' is to ride a SS. Similarly, you cannot 'get the feel of a fixed gear' by just not coasting.

Also, keep in mind that you are not limited to a gearing that most SS bikes run. You can run whatever you like. I've run bikes set up from 32:22 all the way to 40:15.

mtbr member
    Part of the thing about riding a SS is getting rid of all the drag and drivetrain lag in a derailleur setup so there's no way of duplicating the feel.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    ok I got it. What about setting up a bike for ss that has vertical dropouts? Can I use a chain tensioner or is horizontql dropouts the only way to go (or ebb)?

AZ
    banned
    Chain tensioner , ENO hub , magic gear , eccentric bottom bracket . If you just want to try it out , run a chain tensioner or try to find a gear combination that works for you .

EDIT: You can make a tensioner out of an old derailluer to get by on the cheap .

I'm gonna have to kill ya
    You certainly won't get the same feel but it gets you some way there just leaving your bike in one gear

I rode my FS Kona Coilair locked out front and back and left her in 36/20 and rode her heavy 36 lb butt for 3 months in sudo SS mode before I finished building my 16.6lb SS (32/18) and that made the transition so easy.

Don't punish yourself too much at first and go with a 32/20 if there are hills where you ride, going all out on a hardcore ratio will put you off you need to match your ratio to your SS fitness

mtbr member
    I respectfully disagree about getting the feel of it. Of course you're only going to see the weight and drag benefits by actually removing those parts, but shy of actually disassembling your drivetrain, cutting your chain, etc, you can get the basic sense by just not shifting.

If you go 32x16 or thereabouts (assuming 26er), you're only going to have minimal crosschaining drag, and then you've only got the pulleys and extra weight reducing the sense. By not taking everything apart, you also retain the ability to more easily find the right gear for your terrain. That's what I did to get started, and it was fine for me. When you do figure out you like it better, you'll then get to appreciate the weight drop and chain drag improvements, which in my experience are much less significant than the large change in riding style of having to hit the climbs running and powering over the top without downshifting.

If you want to go part way to get some of the weight reduction sense, take off your front derailleur, shifter, and ditch the small and large front rings. That'll still give you the option of fine tuning the gearing out back, and let you know which cog ratio to commit to without messing around changing cogs afterwards.

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    so, 32/20 is a good place to experiment?

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by bt
    so, 32/20 is a good place to experiment?
    for a 26'er?...here's my thoughts for a noob...

32X20 = super hilly
    32X18 = moderately hilly
    32X16 = kinda rollery hilly
    Click Here for Forum Rules

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    actually, 29er

Quote Originally Posted by bt
    actually, 29er
    oh...

then yes....32X20 is a good place to start

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey bt,

You can buy a conversion kit cheap (which would consist of a deraileur like tensioner, spacers, and cogs) and convert your bike to an ss with a minimum of fuss. If you don't like it, you can convert it back. It is easy to do.

That's what I'd do, if I were you.

I bought one of these for $20 and was happy with it, looks like they are $30 at the moment. FYI, with these cheap kits you get narrow, stamped cogs. The downside to that is that if you are heavy/powerful and have a nice hub, the narrow cog can dig into the freehub body. They'll be fine for testing, and if you decide you like it you can buy a ss specific (wide bodied) cog and still be out no more than $60, maybe less.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._1031512_-1___

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    IMOP the only way to simulate SS is to ride SS. No drag and phycologically, I know the spelling, it is way different when you cannot shift. Something magical about it that cannot be explained unless you do it. Been riding single for the past 3 years and will never go back. Eno hub is a great option or a EBB.

mtbr member
    You dont feel the the lure of the gears when you are riding SS only. Even if you do, you cant have them. This results in a "lets just crank it" attitude.

Sup
    just cut your thumbs off

Ovaries on the Outside
    Blah. Just imagine enjoying the purity of mountain biking. If you like that, get rid of the derailers.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    just remove your rear d. cables (maybe even front d. cables), play around with the h/l screws, and have at it... sure, you don't get the absolute full experience... but i think it kinda gets the point across...

mtbr member
    You've got a full range of gears...Experiment on your trails, leave it in a gear for an extended amount of time. It wont be the "Purists" way of doing things, but it will get you close.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

SS or Die
    bt,

My first dab at SS was on my Mamasita, I removed all gear related items and ran a 32-20 combo.

The first thing I did was try riding my local trails on my geared HT in a gear that felt right for most things. It turned out to be 32-20 but I must comment that riding that gear on a geared HT of 10.5kg with the fork locked out did not simulate the Mamasita in SS mode weighing in at 8.5kg with the same gear ratio. 32-20 on the Mama was noticably easier and way more FUN!

For the most part it was perfect for me, sure...there were times when it was tough but there were also times when it simply spun out.

Like many here will agree, there is something magical about riding SS and your perfect gear will find you easily enough if you experiment with a couple of gear ratios on your favourite trails. You'll either be grinding or grinning or both.
    "Be the Gear..."

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    Blah. Just imagine enjoying the purity of mountain biking. If you like that, get rid of the derailers.
    dumb.. that boring non sense cliche makes me sick: wtf does purity of mountain biking have to do w/ gears?!
    or what does purity have to do w/ mountain biking in the first place or even a bicycle for Fs sake?
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    awsome, thanks all.

SS or Die
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1
    dumb.. that boring non sense cliche makes me sick: wtf does purity of mountain biking have to do w/ gears?!
    or what does purity have to do w/ mountain biking in the first place or even a bicycle for Fs sake?
    What would you say is more purist.....

A pretty boy wearing his tight sponsored lycra outfit, shaved legs and arms, fashion sunglasses, socks pulled up, accompanied with a sparkly new Cannondale Taurine Carbon 26er w/ ultralite tires running a full set of gears......

OR.......

A retro character wearing his faved T and baggy shorts complete with mutton chops, the hair on his legs flapping in the breeze, watching the trail ahead through a cheap pair of safety glasses aboard a one speed rig that cost a penny that only requires a lick of oil to the chain with no shocks and accessaries to worry about......
    "Be the Gear..."

Ovaries on the Outside
    G-d. Just post a thread if you want an answer for either of those questions.

Besides, it wasn't a "nonsense (one word) cliche," but a non sequitur. I wasn't trying to be helpful because the OP had all the information he needs to "simulate" the experience, regardless of whether it is mimics SS aptly or not.

*hugs*

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by -Muz R-

A pretty boy wearing his tight sponsored lycra outfit, shaved legs and arms, fashion sunglasses, socks pulled up, accompanied with a sparkly new Cannondale Taurine Carbon 26er w/ ultralite tires running a full set of gears......

OR.......

A retro character wearing his faved T and baggy shorts complete with mutton chops, the hair on his legs flapping in the breeze, watching the trail ahead through a cheap pair of safety glasses aboard a one speed rig that cost a penny that only requires a lick of oil to the chain with no shocks and accessaries to worry about......
    seems like a fashion contest to me. it has nothing to do w/ purity. btw ... purity is for coke and nuns. i don't need purity. i want fun.
    original mountain bikes had gears. others were just downhill bombers.
    this singlespeed "philosophy" is BS.

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    G-d. Just post a thread if you want an answer for either of those questions.

Besides, it wasn't a "nonsense (one word) cliche," but a non sequitur. I wasn't trying to be helpful because the OP had all the information he needs to "simulate" the experience, regardless of whether it is mimics SS aptly or not.

*hugs*
    why post another thread when i can debunk the nonsense in one single post?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I left the chain on middle ring and middle of the cog for a few rides and refused to shift. Now I am making it final. I hope I like it...I should.

Thread Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by -Muz R-

OR.......

i, for one, would say the "pretty boy" is the most "purist." for one, he isn't afraid of what anyone (especially MTBR) thinks of him. he knows what he loves, and he supports it by buying their kit, their bike, and does it through his LBS. he's obviously got quite a relationship with the LBS, and supports them whenever he can. in turn, the LBS supports him by giving him a discount once in a while.

now, shaggy on his SS? he hasn't done a damn thing with his LBS in years...you said it yourself, his bike cost a penny (probably at a garbage sale or secondhand shop). he is SO swayed by some pseudo-hippy, uber alternative-chic image that he's more or less afraid to express himself by buying anything with a brand name on it...when he does, he paints over the brand, or sands it off. i fail to see how he's any more "pure" than mr. and mrs. john q. public who buy roadmaster hybrid bikes from target.
    I ride a 26'er with tubes and rim brakes.
    Yeah, I'm basically living in the stone age.

Ovaries on the Outside
    why post another thread when i can debunk the nonsense in one single post?
    The threads would be fantastic.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by roybatty666
    You certainly won't get the same feel but it gets you some way there just leaving your bike in one gear
    Yep,
    It is good enough for finding a gearing that is doable to start with.

this singlespeed "philosophy" is BS.
    FAK!....i got all those tattoos for nuthin'?

Members who have read this thread: 0