I tried it and I liked it, now I need a few parts...- Mtbr.com
    Not a Barry supporter.

I tried it and I liked it, now I need a few parts...

So I've really taken to SS but I'm not ready to race on one yet. I converted my racing HT and have been riding it the past couple of months. But I have some races coming up and need it to be back to it's original form. I've been searching and I've found some FS conversions. I have an old Sugar frame that's just collecting dust so I'm going to set that up as the SS. I've found a few pics of a couple of other Sugars that have been converted and I think the Sugar style will make for a nice SS.

Anyway, I have most of the parts except a few key ones. Does anyone know where to get a cheap set of cranks (I'm thinking LX would be fine) and a descent non-disc wheel set? Sure I can go to eBay and I'll probably do that for the cranks but I'm a little leary about buying wheels off of eBay. I also need a set of V-brakes.

Thanks in advance.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

Drinkin' Buddy

Go to Recycled Cycles

They are down on boat street near the UW. Lots of cheap used bits. V brakes for ~$5, wheels from $10. Just google 'em for their street address. One of the mechanics/employees, Paul Priest, is a Single Speeder and can answer any questions you might have.
    See you on the trails one of these days.
    Got Beer?

Steamroller

FS for a SS, OK but why?

You must have searched pretty hard to find many examples of full suspension SS bikes. There is a reason.....no, make that many reasons for this.
    1. They tend not to work so well, unless the design is just right.
    2. SS is all about simplicity, FS.....uuuuhhh, is not. I won't list more.

I won't try to discourage you, if you can do it and enjoy it, then more power to you.

Kona made a pretty nice FS/SS bike called the "A" a couple years back, I think they may have sold a handfull of them. I don't think they still make them but, I could be wrong.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

Not a Barry supporter.
    Well the main reason is that the Sugar is just sitting around collecting dust so I might as well do something with it. I did search pretty hard and long and found a guy from NEMBA who converted his Sugar. There's also a fella here who converted his Sugar 292. I know it won't be perfect but I like to tinker with bikes and this is another excuse to do so. Plus, I have to have my HT back to regular form for racing.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

Steamroller

check your PM

If you are going to do it I may be able to help.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

Members who have read this thread: 0