I too, am going to the dark side- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

I too, am going to the dark side

I've been contemplating of getting one and so before I commit, I would love to get some info. I am sure has been answered before but additional help would be greatly appreciated.
    Question i have so far are:

What would be the best gear ration to start? I know this might be difficult but at least if I can get a starting point.

What would be a good wheel set? Obviously this bike will not be going to treacherous terrain and so sturdy but fairly light would be good.

What fork would you go with?

Would you consider a spring postseat for extra cushin?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Can't wait to start and get this going.

Thanks again.

Proud Snob
    Apr 2009
    Damn I was hoping that was gonna be about a Spooky.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Q 1)the gear ratio question is difficult because we do not know your terrain 2:1 is always a good place to start

Q 2)i could not tell you which wheel set to pick because you did not say which type of drop outs you are using

Q 3)a rigid for work be good because they are lighter and cheaper than suspension forks, just remember to get some cushy grips and a fat front tire

Q4)in my experience i have had a lot of butt pain while riding so I would not be a bad idea to consider a suspension seat post like the cane creek thudbuster but then again i am a heavy guy so it kind of depends
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

Low Rep Count
    If you are running a 26" then the majority of the folks out there seem to go with a 32/16-18 and alot of the guys on 29rs run 32/18-20 from what I have seen around my way.

Running a rigid fork myself and love it. Yes, get a fater tire up front (2.2 or >) and some squishy grips (ESI or Ergons)

Wheels, I am a big fan of something custom but there are a ton of options out there. To a degree it will depend on your dropouts for the rear as to whether you can go with a quick release set up or a bolt on. My wheels for instance were custom made for me. Running Velocity rims and White Industries Eno hubs. Cost was about $700. Obviously there are alot less expensive options out there.

Well, it depends on how you ride. If you are in the saddle alot then my recomendation is to make sure you have a fatter tire in the rear as well. I ran a Cane Creek suspension post for years and loved it. I switched out my tires to something a little larger and have been riding a standard post since.

nuck_Chorris-if your experiencing butt pain I suggest a change of life style or some lube! (on a more serious note-stand up) sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Dive Bomber
    As usual the magic 2:1 gear ratio, try ride in different terrain and and practice. Your body will tell what to do about the ratio.

Ahhh the pain....
    SSPhoenix....I assume you live in the PHX area ? I do as well and just built my first SS about 2 months ago. It's a Ti frame and I put a reba on it. I keep it locked out most of the time riding in Flag or if I'm climbing, but love the fact that on downhills with rocks (like we have here) I can unlock it for some squish. I don't miss the suspension in the rear however I'm using a Ti seatpost for some extra give. I also run tubeless F & R. Regarding wheels, if you can afford some Flows or Arches (depending on your weight), then by all means do that. I also bought a frame that has sliders so I could convert back to gears if I eventually wimped out. I'm running a 32x21 (29er) which seems pretty good for me since I live close to the McDowells and find myself over there a fair bit. If you do flatter stuff like T100, a 19 or 20 is probably better.

I'm just messing with you
    Quote Originally Posted by metaljim
    Or a WTB Phoenix
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ssphoenix
    I've been contemplating of getting one and so before I commit, I would love to get some info. I am sure has been answered before but additional help would be greatly appreciated.
    Question i have so far are:

What would be the best gear ration to start? I know this might be difficult but at least if I can get a starting point.

What would be a good wheel set? Obviously this bike will not be going to treacherous terrain and so sturdy but fairly light would be good.

What fork would you go with?

Would you consider a spring postseat for extra cushin?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Can't wait to start and get this going.

Thanks again.
    1. 32x18 is a good overall place to start. if u ride more hills than a lower ratio.

2. wheelset, depends on what frame ur riding. im running mavic717 w xt 775 hubs.

3. u want a rigid fork?...carbon or steel? a good carbon fork will cost $100-$150+ i got my Recon 351 for $150. i was running a steel fork and just switch to the recon. i became a much better rider with the rigid fork. u learn to pick better lines and to use ur body a lot more to absorb the terrain. just switched to an air fork, its more comfy but i still retain my rigid skills.

4. eh, forget the spring seatpost....u'lll be out of the saddle most of the time.
    Sette Reken "Hopper" SS

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD
    If you are running a 26" then the majority of the folks out there seem to go with a 32/16-18 and alot of the guys on 29rs run 32/18-20 from what I have seen around my way.

Running a rigid fork myself and love it. Yes, get a fater tire up front (2.2 or >) and some squishy grips (ESI or Ergons)

Wheels, I am a big fan of something custom but there are a ton of options out there. To a degree it will depend on your dropouts for the rear as to whether you can go with a quick release set up or a bolt on. My wheels for instance were custom made for me. Running Velocity rims and White Industries Eno hubs. Cost was about $700. Obviously there are alot less expensive options out there.

Well, it depends on how you ride. If you are in the saddle alot then my recomendation is to make sure you have a fatter tire in the rear as well. I ran a Cane Creek suspension post for years and loved it. I switched out my tires to something a little larger and have been riding a standard post since.

nuck_Chorris-if your experiencing butt pain I suggest a change of life style or some lube! (on a more serious note-stand up) sorry, I couldn't help myself.
    har har , i do stand but my ratio is a bit spinny so i sit down when i am all out of juice, i will probably go back to 36:16

mtbr member

SS build

Hi guys and very much thanks for everyone's reply.

I am about 150lb and consider a carbon frame, maybe Sette or similar. Another question i have is can I find a single speed rear wheel rather than converting a 9? I found a company that has the hub for a single speed but really I have no skill to building the wheel myself.
    Not sure yet but I might consider a spring seat. Anyone can point me to a good option (and light as well)?

Again, thanks much for any help.

Jo

VENI VEDI BIKI
    I have the $24.oo Sette seatpost from pricepoint. It works pretty well and I have a lot less back pain now. If you get it be sure to take it apart and lube it or else you will deal with "squeekey squeeky squeeky squeeky" everytime you hit a bump.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

I too rode a Darkside

Quote Originally Posted by metaljim
    Thread Hijack!

I too, am going to the dark side-cimg0211sm.jpg

mtbr member
    steel rigid. 1.95 XC race tires, and a 34:12 is a good starting place.
    Ride & Smile

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Matt
    steel rigid. 1.95 XC race tires, and a 34:12 is a good starting place.
    Did you just list stuff your bike has? 1.95 tires would suck on a rigid fork

34:12 would be too high for inclines, thats more a of a flat/street ratio.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob
    Or a WTB Phoenix
    amen.

Low Rep Count
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    Did you just list stuff your bike has? 1.95 tires would suck on a rigid fork

34:12 would be too high for inclines, thats more a of a flat/street ratio.
    Can't say much about the tire choice as I was running a 1.95 rear for a while. It was nice and light. But once I took off my Thudbuster post, it was often flat!

As for the gearing, dude might just have some massive quads and leg strength. If he doesn't have it yet, he will soon if he keeps riding that! Maybe some blown knees as well. But you have to start somewhere and maybe that is all he had!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD
    Can't say much about the tire choice as I was running a 1.95 rear for a while. It was nice and light. But once I took off my Thudbuster post, it was often flat!

As for the gearing, dude might just have some massive quads and leg strength. If he doesn't have it yet, he will soon if he keeps riding that! Maybe some blown knees as well. But you have to start somewhere and maybe that is all he had!
    I do have 1.95's and rigid, but a 34:12 was just pulled out my ass. I just switched back to a 32:18. the 16 in the mountains of idaho is a bit much.
    Ride & Smile

Members who have read this thread: 0