i think my SS days are over with- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

i think my SS days are over with

the Inbred i purchased off a guy on these forums has served me well for 4yrs. now it's time to say goodbye to it and put the money towards a 4" FS. from single and rigid to geared and squishy. crazyness.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by the Inbred
    the Inbred i purchased off a guy on these forums has served me well for 4yrs. now it's time to say goodbye to it and put the money towards a 4" FS. from single and rigid to geared and squishy. crazyness.
    A guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do. Best of luck and let us know how you like it.

FS is the new SS?

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

sad as it may seem now...

of all the bikes I've loved and then sold, I never missed a single one once I got a new one.

Happy shifting.

mtbr member
    nah, not sad. more anxious to get it sold so that i can order an FS frame.

Peace & Love
    just got a geared bike again.....had now 4 rides on it and realize gears are actually not evil.....enjoying it actually.

mtbr member
    yeah...climbing has especially become fun again. SS-ing helped me become more efficient, which i think is carrying over quite nicely.

Looking to Start Racing
    Hope you have fun on the new squishy....personally I couldn't dedicate myself to one type. Once my current SS is complete to my liking, I'll be after a geared squishy.....but one won't see more riding then the other.

Again, happy trails (couldn't resist)
    Evolve or Die

mtbr member
    Why have just one bike? What do you do when your one bike is at the vet? :-)

I have a Giant Trance, an older Giant NRS and I had an aluminum hardtail -- now that hardtail is on its way to become my first SS. I like the "choose your weapon" approach -- go into the garage and see which of the stable appeals to you that day (or which bike is operational, more like it).

Enjoy the gears!

mtbr member
    I wouldn't totally toss in the SS towel. I bought a Specialized Epic Comp Disc a year or so ago because I had a crush on the bike and it was a great deal. It was a great bike and was nice and cushy, but it took me a little less than a season to realized how much I appreciated the simplicity of singlespeeding. I ended up selling the Epic to fund a vintage ride for touring and several (road and mountain) single speed/fixed projects. I know you'll enjoy the cush but I wouldn't say you're leaving the sport forever!
    A new old set of Mavic 231 rims would REALLY make my day.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    It doesn't matter how many gears you run and different bikes offer different benefits.

My bikes run anywhere from 3 to 18 gears; the triple (road bike) runs out like a SS in that it's a stand up kind of climber with no low gears (it's like a Bowflex with wheels), the MB has 14 speeds for XC and singletrack, the road bike has 18, and for cushiness I have an old 3 speed cruiser.

I'm sure an SS and FS are in my future too.

It's all good.
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

Expert Pushing SSer
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    just got a geared bike again.....had now 4 rides on it and realize gears are actually not evil.....enjoying it actually.
    This is like true confessions time. I rode my gearie and used all of the possible combinations available to me (including walking, I think it is a gear) on Tuesday.....well except the big ring But last night, I used the same bike and felt compelled to ride it similar to an SS, middle ring - middle range cogs, stand and mash! I think this bike is destine to be an SS. Or the other angle, SS-ing has really conditined me in a good way.

Carry on!
    Tuff Schist

Retro Grouch

Are you going to change your handle?

Riding a "geared and squishy" bike is hardly the sign of a tree that dosen't fork Will we ever hear from you again I don't do well with change; now you've got me bummed Could you just pretend you still ride single speed and then just fade away You'll be back, they all come back, at lesat I think they all come back; maybe I'm thinking of lost dogs

Pray for Francois,

1G1G, Brad

mtbr member
    you might find that you like the squishyness of a FS, but you might also find that you'll be staying in one gear combo most of the time, as i do on my bike, as i dont have enough money to convert it into a dedicated SS.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dannybob
    of all the bikes I've loved and then sold, I never missed a single one once I got a new one.

Happy shifting.
    I can't say the same. Although I've had and sold a number of bikes I am really sorry I sold my Optima Baron lowracer recumbent. But other than that a new bike is great therapy for losing an old one.

Craig

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hey Inbred, this is the former, shoulder-bashing on the log loop stump, Jdub from Walnut Creek fame. 3 years and 4 surgeries later I'm now riding a 29er SS in Dallas. Just picked it up a couple of weeks ago and am loving it! Mostly urban stuff and faster groomed trails on it so far though. I'm still riding my NRS about half the time.

Which full-susp bike are you looking at? An Emma Long kinda bike? I still head down to Austin to ride occasionaly so maybe I'll catch ya on the trail sometime.

mtbr member
    jDub...you know there's another JDub that posts here? i think i've asked him multiple times if it's "the guy that smacked the stump".

and yep, an Emma Long kind of bike. i've got my heart set a 29-er, SS type thing in the future, though. something very similar to a Matt Chester, only steel.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    jDub...you know there's another JDub that posts here? i think i've asked him multiple times if it's "the guy that smacked the stump".

and yep, an Emma Long kind of bike. i've got my heart set a 29-er, SS type thing in the future, though. something very similar to a Matt Chester, only steel.
    Yeah, I saw that there was another jdub. All these years and I've never posted anything here, but when I picked up the Monocog 29er a couple of weeks ago I had some weird creaking action going on and I noticed a load of people on the 29er forum had them so I posted a few things (under rxwr80).

Well, I hope you get the bike of your dreams and don't bust yourself up too bad at Emma. And I'm sure that down the road at some point you'll get another SS... maybe as your 2nd bike (or 3rd... 4th?). I'm having a blast on this Monocog thing! It's not the liveliest steel frame I've ever ridden, but at my current svelte 230 lbs that's probably a good thing!

Take care,

The original Austin jdub

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hey, instead of going to the Darkside (squishy), try out a Surly Pugsley! I was at a LBS last weekend with my girlfriend. And she says, "look at that cool bike!" And before I could sputter a word, my old Store manager I used to work with years ago, comes up behind me and says, "Kev take it out, you've gotta try it". I pedal right out the door, and down a 15 staircase, this thing didn't even flinch! Then a customer walked in and said, "he didn't even stop, he just flew down those steps!" We all had a good laugh, and reminesed of old times. All I had to say was, what do you need shocks for, with a bike like that!

mtbr member
    sure hope the SS Bling bug bites someone and he/ she purchases my wheels. everything else has sold, except the frame...which i believe i will be holding on to. might even make it a wall ornament.

anyone else have sentimental bikes hanging? plan is to hang my TX4000 bike, too.

----woof----
    I've been riding a rigid SS for over a year now and thought about selling my Blur because it never left the garage, but I took it out on the trails this afternoon and couldn't believe how comfortable it was to ride a FS again. It was so much faster and efficient except when sprinting on the climbs, and I wasn't nearly as fatigued compared to my SS. Riding a SS definitly improved my lungs and legs though and will always be there for the majority of my rides, but it's nice to have a stable of bikes just to change things up every now and then.

mtbr member
    i'm selling my SS and a geared bike in order to purchase a FS. that means i'll be down to just 2 bikes....haven't seen that little in quite a while.

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    Are you going to change your handle?

Finally someone has cut to the chase.

I am anxious to see what the Inbred's new ride/name will be.

Dustin, you getting EP at BSS?
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member

Enjoy

I hear that the FS thing is not soo bad, enjoy!! Tell us tales from the um, un-dark side?!
    Black Sheep...where it'ss at!!
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

No e-drama please!!
    Hey, inbred....have some good riding on the FS !
    I was always battle-ing which is better, or funner riding...For me a singlespeed relieves your mind of any stress related to funny shifting,ghost shifting & anticipating when to shift,etc..
    But on the other hand,when it get's steep gears are much better then having a stroke or heart attack. Also, i found i get spinning too fast bouncing up & down on the seat trying to get more top end...10-11 mph is it....
    I know there are some trails where nothing can touch a good singlespeed rider on a nice SS bike...!
    An all-mountain geared 4-5" FS bike is really my ultimate pick & lot's of people realize they rock.The trailbike that is......

PICTURE= My Heckler frame i just traded for a FOX TALAS RLC...I need another Heckler frame in large when i get some extra cash..!
    DEMO8
    Santa Cruz Bullit
    Bianchi SASS

Made in China
    Jan 2006
    FS is da bomb! So is SS

Just got my FS Chumba EVO a few weeks ago and LOVE it! Climb well and just bumbs...ar....bombs down...it can go way faster than I dare! But being so comfy I sit down most of the time up and down. Pick a line....what line...I just roll over things now and let the bike do the work.

Now I'm building my Voodoo Azian up.....definitely SS but probably with a 80mm fork. Need to practice picking a line, spin, shift weight and stand up.

I plan to ride the 29er SS on the trails I know aready and that's not so rought. Hopefully it will increase my ability to ride my FS better too.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I can't imagine riding without 5" of travel and gears....

Particularly because my typical rides are on rocky, technical terrain. Besides, SS hurts my knees and back on steep climbs. But, riding a SS does make me feel like a kid agin. A SS would make a great second bike for certain rides. Good for mucky rides when you don't want to eat your FS up with mud. I'd keep it.

Jaybo

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    My SS days are over for the time being. I only rode SS 29ers for about 6 months. I had a Monocog 29er and a Unit 2-9 and got burnt out. I built a Blur LT and it has been so much fun as my primary bike for the past month. My confidence level has gone to a new level on the downhills because rigid 29ers has upped my riding abilities.

I love 29ers, so last week I finished a Voodoo Dambala 9 speed rigid. I think it will be a great 2nd bike for training. I like running the rear derailer for pedaling on the downhills and now I can clean some of the hills I could not previously on the SS. I feel like I still have to work, but now I can use it as an all day bike. Im only good on an SS for a few hours then Im toast. Ive been debating on a suspension fork for it, but Im worried the Blur will take a backseat and feel unloved.

I really like having two totally different bikes in the stable. Some day Im sure the Voodoo will be an SS, but right its a blast as a 9 speed.

Obviously Single

Blowin smoke

Quote Originally Posted by miSSionary
    I hear that the FS thing is not soo bad, enjoy!! Tell us tales from the um, un-dark side?!
    Dude, you make it sound like you've never ridden one! Your FS was nice b4 you gave it to you GF! And a nice FS it was/is!

Now quit posting and go ride!
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

Members who have read this thread: 0