I think I'm a wuss!- Mtbr.com
    KRN
    mtbr member

I think I'm a wuss!

Ok let me go back a bit I was in a really bad car wreck 3 years ago knocked 4 front teeth out & broke 3 ribs & my wrist. My weight went from 185,190 to 280 All I could do was eat it hurt too much too move for 6 months so I ate I was depressed. And the the holiday season came & another 20 ponds were added.Sucked to be me LOL To make a long story short I hit my first trail now I used to bike when I lived out west & I rode a Kona HT and I used to hit some pretty big drops & some steep hillsI just got a brand new bike A mono-cog SS I 've been hitting some of the smaller trails here in SC now before U all go off there really are some nice hills here.Anyhow I hit the trails that everyone rides here alot which is the best for this area. Let me say this I SUCKED,BLEW,Screwed UP.... well U get the point!Every hill I hit I rode my brake's. On a steep climb I maybe got halfway if that.. I wrecked once letting where my bottle rack should go stab my ass in the chin!(sigh)Now I have some ways to go before I can ride like I used to that much I do know but I was scared that I might take a fall & riders all around me made me feel like I was on a tricycle...I guess what I'm getting at is will I ever be able to ride like I used to I felt the pain in my ribs it started to scare me alot I'm 36 not old but not young either. One of the riders told me to keep plugging along & it will come back to me.Has anyone else gone though something like this if so please tell me about it & how U got thought it Thanks!

I CAME I SAW I CONQUERED

You need to rack up lots n lots of......

miles road or dirt. You need to get your HR up and keep it there.
    I'm a MTBer, and love the dirt and need to lose about 10 LBs myself
    so I've been riding road, 35 miles week nights and 50 to 60 weekend
    days, no sightseeing, avg sp 19 mph. It's working bro and I just ordered
    a Langster aswell but I'm sure I'll be trading it for a Major Taylor next week.
    I'm also hittin the road in hopes of being a better, stronger, and fast MTBer
    too.

Just take a look at the guys on the tour, no heavy weights there at all.
    Anyway thats my thoughts and I say good luck too you it's going to be
    hard work (and watch your diet aswell) but if you really want it you'll
    lose the weight and have loads of fun doing it.

Good luck bro - V V V .
    "As a rule, men worry more about what they can't see than about what they can."
    -- Julius Caesar

Steamroller

No good story for you....

Quote Originally Posted by KRN
    Ok let me go back a bit I was in a really bad car wreck 3 years ago knocked 4 front teeth out & broke 3 ribs & my wrist. My weight went from 185,190 to 280 All I could do was eat it hurt too much too move for 6 months so I ate I was depressed. And the the holiday season came & another 20 ponds were added.Sucked to be me LOL To make a long story short I hit my first trail now I used to bike when I lived out west & I rode a Kona HT and I used to hit some pretty big drops & some steep hillsI just got a brand new bike A mono-cog SS I 've been hitting some of the smaller trails here in SC now before U all go off there really are some nice hills here.Anyhow I hit the trails that everyone rides here alot which is the best for this area. Let me say this I SUCKED,BLEW,Screwed UP.... well U get the point!Every hill I hit I rode my brake's. On a steep climb I maybe got halfway if that.. I wrecked once letting where my bottle rack should go stab my ass in the chin!(sigh)Now I have some ways to go before I can ride like I used to that much I do know but I was scared that I might take a fall & riders all around me made me feel like I was on a tricycle...I guess what I'm getting at is will I ever be able to ride like I used to I felt the pain in my ribs it started to scare me alot I'm 36 not old but not young either. One of the riders told me to keep plugging along & it will come back to me.Has anyone else gone though something like this if so please tell me about it & how U got thought it Thanks!
    ....but I know it just takes time and miles. The skill and fitness will return if you ride enough. Dieting may help speed things up. I hope lightning does not stike me for saying this, but you could ride a road bike too if you can't get enough miles on the trails. I'm well on my way from my peak imensity of nearly 280# to my fighting weight of 210-220# . I don't have a good excuse though like you. Good luck, don't give up!
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

gentle like

hang in there, my friend

i was down for the count on couches and beds for 8 months after getting both of my shoulders surgeried up: not a car crash, but pretty lousy. i went from 190 to 235; thanks, haagen-daas. curse you!

well, 6 years (yes, i'm ashamed - 6!) later i'm down to 210, and in the best shape i've been in since (weight lifting and 'filling in' have added some muscle pounds). but i'm still chugging away at getting 'back there.' it takes time to beat the habits you developed - especially if eating is your therapy/comfort thing, like me.

last year i watched my stepdad lose 70-some pounds and go from barely being able to ride around the block and sweating just from breathing on a recumbent (couldn't do a regular biking position) to doing century rides again - he used to be a hardcore roadie. pretty damn cool, 'cause now he is again.

set goals, take chunks, and maybe try to aim for new activities that require higher degrees of fitness- like nailing that hill, or the local loop. for me it was first snowboarding, then single-speeding, now trials riding (not that it's quite as fitness-streamed, but oh well), and hopefully a marathon a year from now.

keep fighting the power. there are a number of dudes in the clydesdale forum in similar positions; it's nice to know others are feeling what you are. drink water, renounce donuts, and keep on truckin'.

Out spokin'

Create a vision for yourself

Quote Originally Posted by KRN
    Ok ...went from 185,190 to 280...
    Visualize the situation you want in your head. Then set a mini-objective (like losing 5 lbs or completing a 30 mile road ride). Once you achieve one objective, set another one. Don't look too far down the road, just take one step at a time. You will be blown away at what you can achieve in a few month's time. Even more with what you can do in a year. You just have to start. Don't say "I'm going to start." Instead, say "I've started."

In early 2000 I bulged a disc in my back. I couldn't ride for several months. After three months I bought a recumbent because it was the only way I could get back on a bike. At the time I did not know if the recumbent would be the only bike I'd ever be able to ride for the rest of my life. I rode it a lot.

Later that summer I found I could get back on a traditional bike. I rode it a lot, although I took care to make sure my bike was set up correctly and my posture was good. In the fall I completed the Bend Big Fat Tour (70+ off-road miles). The next year I entered the Cream Puff ("America's Toughest 100") and started training in February. To make a long story short, I won the Master's Class in a race that I initially only hoped to finish within the 15 hour time cutoff.

If you want it, you will do it.

Conversely, if you don't do it, you'll know you didn't really want it.

Set goals. Take one day at a time. Relax. Be patient and be supportive of yourself. Don't worry, just keep at it. You'll screw up. Don't let screw ups set you back. Everybody screws up. Start over. Don't give up. Always just start over.

In the end you'll find out what was important to you. Was it donuts and Big Macs? Or was it losing weight and becoming a strong biker? Look back in a year (or two) and your results will reveal what was important to you.

Keep the faith. Good luck. You CAN do it.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

The man who fell to earth
    I had something similar happen to me, bad accident and a big weight change...except it was in the opposite direction as yours. I was 85lbs (at 6'2") at one point (no, that's not a mistake, eighty five pounds); I looked exactly like a concentration camp victim.

Anyway, I wouldn't be worried at all about being nimble, or agile, or fit on the trail right now. Carrying around an extra 100lbs with a bunch of body aches is going to make it impossible to ride as you did in the past. In fact, I wouldn't worry that much about trail riding at all, just yet. You need to start the healing process gradually, and (with determination) only take on what your body is comfortable doing right now. Take long brisk walks, long road and smooth trail rides...keep doing it it religiously every day. Drink tons of water, and of course you MUST control how much and what you eat. Exercise really doesn't burn THAT many calories, unless you are doing a series of marathons or something. If you don't stop binge eating and eating all the wrong foods, your progress will be at a snails pace, if at all...and you will likely quit out of frustration. But if you stick to a healthy diet (which doesn't mean you cant eat either!), and keep your arms and legs flapping, those pounds will come rolling off pronto.

If you need help and support, then get it. Don't be afraid or embarrassed, you've been through alot and you have a long way to recovery. But you're still young (believe it or not), you're not paralyzed, your brain is intact and you have use of all your limbs. Rejoice in that, and take it one step at a time...before you know it, you'll be your old self again, stylin' on that singlespeed tearing up some killer singletrack. And remember, you're lucky to be alive, so many less fortunate accident victims riding days are over forever...give thanks you have another chance and go for it!

Hang in there...