I saw the light at the end of the Tunnel- Mtbr.com
    Singlespeed Enduro Poser
    Dec 2009

... and if we just ... I saw the light at the end of the Tunnel

After breaking my Scott Genius frame last October 09 doing 20,000 ft worth of descent in one single day with not repeating a single trail. I immediately seized the opportunity to start concocting a built that will be for my type of riding, All Mountain.

Soon after i went over to my LBS and told him of my built plans, i break my clavicle in 3 different places in November. I had a new titanium plate put in and was bummed that it didn't have anodized red. The break will put me off the bike for almost 2 months which gave me plenty of time to go over my built.

After $6k and lots of sleepless night she is finally done and i was able to pick her up on December 24th. I was so happy and stoked!

Not long after i got my bike, sometime in January i bought a SS 29er Vassago. With the intention of putting gears on it because i suck and couldn't pedal that thing uphill if i wanted so it sat around for a couple of weeks after i bought it.

But i was really itching to ride the thing but looking at it intimidated me. I wasn't worthy enough to ride it because im not a strong rider.

3 weeks it sat around and i finally took it for a ride and i immediately LOVED IT!

I said i want to be able to ride this bike wherever i go. Friends poked fun at me saying i'll never ride that thing. lol

So, i knew what i had to then. Man up and take it the hardest climb i think there is for me and suck it up. i took her up Otay Mountain in San Diego. 6 miles of just straight up with 3800K Ft of ascent. I stopped a bunch of times because i wasn't in shape. But WOW i loved it even more. In the next couple of weeks i started easing my way into longer rides 38 miles then last week i did it! 50 miles on a singlespeed with about 6k of ascent. I never thought i could do it! but i did! and it is a very religious experience so much so that i am selling the new bike i built last xmas. here is the link of my All Mountain bike in an effort to sell her for the right price.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=603509

Here she is when i first bought her.

http://dirttreaders.com/phpBB3/viewt...hp?f=12&t=4797

Thanks

mtbr member
    Do you write for my local newspaper?

Love the story.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the stoke. I am a fairly capable chicken legged spinner, but I bought a Jabber/Odis in Oct. I love it. I want to sell my Epic, but I don't think I can enough money for it to offset the remote possibility that I would want to ride it. Also, I am kinda waiting for the newness to wear off so I don't make a rash decision.

I have been a little conservative in the climbs I am attempting, but I hope to be doing 4500 ft climbs in a few months. I would also like to get to the point where I am comfortable doing 40~50 miles. I think your story has motivated me to step it up a little faster.

mtbr member
    Live the story I was a ss convert the first time I rode it as well.
    SS Rigid =
    Quote Originally Posted by gjenkins@
    There is no distraction. You only hear the sound of your breath and the crunch of the wheels across the dirt.

Members who have read this thread: 0