I might need geared bike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

I might need geared bike?

Well yesterday was the first ride ever with my daughter in her kid trailer. We rode up to the local grocery store. The way there is a slight down hill most of the way there. It is right about 6 miles round trip. Had to take the trip rather slow as she kept complaining about the bumpy ride. So comeing back up hill going slow with a 35# kid 20# trailer and a load of food and drink. It was quit the work out I was really mashing down on the pedals.

Just wondering if others use geared bikes for this type of thing or do you just hammer down and just crank away.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    since you are having to go slower anyway couldn't you just switch the ratio which will make you get more of a workout in the flats and make up hills easier. Plus it is much cheaper
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash. ~Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    I could, but for our trails this gear is perfect. Changing cogs every other ride or so wouldn't be too fun.

Training for vacation
    See it as training
    OR
    get a second wheel with a larger gear
    OR
    you could just get another bike and tell the spouse that it is for the benefit of your child...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    You did it, right? Then keep doing it. You'll be able to mash up any hill effortlessly in no time. I've been riding my heavier bike all winter through all the snow and mush. I got on my light bike this weekend for the first time, which has a few more gear inches... holy crap that thing is fast. I was flying!

mtbr member
    Generally people hauling any sort of real amount of cargo will be a lot happier with a few gear. The reality of that much weight is that single speed is not ideal. But, as others have said, you can probably make it work, and it will probably improve your brute strength. Just watch for any soreness in your knees/hips etc. Grinding long climbs with that much extra weight is bound to cause more strain.

local trails rider
    Somebody makes these two gear, or double SS, systems: two chainrings and two cogs, same total tooth count on each combination.

mtbr member
    Cole82,

I went through the same problem last year. I went from living in a flat area to needing to climb 1/2mile up a solid grade each time I come home. My son's are out of the trailer now and on a trailer bike. They can help pedal but its not enough. I bought a Trek Hybrid to use for kid pulling and other local runs. It was cheap($500) and works perfectly for this type of cycling. A side benefit, it's nice to have one bike with fenders and flat pedals just to kick around on. I get tired of putting the cycling stuff on just to hit the movie store.

MC
    "When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Cincinnati because it's always 20 years behind the times." Twain

Members who have read this thread: 0