I love reading Grant Peterson's stuff...- Mtbr.com
    Got Mojo?

I love reading Grant Peterson's stuff...

I subscribe to the Rivendell Reader. But once a year the real treasure comes out. Last week I received my Rivendel Bicycle Works 2006 Catalogue.

Sandwiched between the items for sale are interesting little dialogues. I found the following in the Bar-End shifters section. (Caution gearie content)

Shift less this year than you did last year
    Riders who use shifters built into the brake levers often say, ďNow I shift so much more often!Ē People with remote controls change television channels more often, too. Frequency isnít the goal. Shift whenever it feels right, but there is satisfaction in grunting just a little to crest a hill, and thereís refreshment to be found in pedaling both slower and faster than the textbook range of 95-100 rpms.

For a lonely rider on a homely road, thereís a case to be made for grunting five-percent harder or four-percent faster to get past the harder or easier part. Itís a more natural way to ride. Todayís interest in single-speed riding is a backlash against more gears and ever-increasing pressure to shift at the slightest provocation. These riders find it liberating to not even have the option to shift. If you need a roll model there is Lon Haldeman. Lon has won RAAM a few times and continues to ride 15,000 or so miles a year by himself and with his PacTour groups, and rides a derailleurless bike with a single chainring and three cogs in the back. He rides it everywhere, over all terrain. And there a thousands of others out there, like Lon, have figured out that constant shifting isnít all that itís cracked up to be. Bar-end shifters are plenty convenient, but just not too.

Perhaps Grant is a 'retro-grouch'. Perhaps I am too. I don't know. But much of the stuff he has to say just makes so much sense to me. BTW, my geared bike is 2x8 (I'll never go 9sp). And the more that I look at this catalogue, the more that I want a set of Paul's Thumbies.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

Recovering couch patato
    Aah, so true! Therefor I urge gearies to go few-speed.

"Mr. Britannica"
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeMojo
    Perhaps Grant is a 'retro-grouch'.

PERHAPS?! You must not have been subscribing long. I liked reading about framebuilding, lugs, and old stuff, but his rants got seriously tiring... same old stuff over and over and over. People aren't buying his old retro (antiquated?) stuff at premium prices, business is bad, might go under, etc. etc. etc. And he's often a bit antagonisitic to his interviewees. Finally let my subscription expire.

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by roadiegonebad
    PERHAPS?! You must not have been subscribing long.
    It was a rhetorical PERHAPS.

I have been reading his stuff for a while, I met him at IB '03. And while it may be the same rant over and over, I find it refreshing compared with all the "technological advances' that companies like Shimano and Trek (just to name a couple) come up with. I feel insulted by much of it.

At the end of the day, all that matters is the ride, however you do it. But I sure do love passing gearies on a climb with all their technology and suspension and shifting...
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

sorry bucko.

Quote Originally Posted by roadiegonebad
    People aren't buying his old retro (antiquated?) stuff at premium prices, business is bad, might go under
    wrong on all counts.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ink1373
    wrong on all counts.
    I think he was saying that grant's been saying that people aren't buying his stuff, business is bad, might go under. least that's the way I read it. I don't subscribe to the reader but IIRC, it was ~2 yrs ago that GP said he'd maxed out his credit cards to keep Riv going. GP's a goof, but some of what he says makes sense. some is just fodder to make him look/feel iconoclastic.

"Mr. Britannica"

sorry to you, bucko

wrong on all counts.

you obviously haven't been reading his rants

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    they charge $2,500 (or something) for a custom steel bike. outrageous, right? they have a long, long wait time for those "antiquated" frames.

but maybe i'm wrong, and overwhelming demand for everything they carry, contract, design, or endorse is a bad barometer for a company's success. shrug.

"Mr. Britannica"
    they charge $2,500 (or something) for a custom steel bike. outrageous, right? they have a long, long wait time for those "antiquated" frames.

but maybe i'm wrong, and overwhelming demand for everything they carry, contract, design, or endorse is a bad barometer for a company's success. shrug.

You talkin' to me? I never said the frames were antiquated, I like steel and lugs... comes with a price, I know that. FYI, all custom steel builders have long wait times, but esp when only one guy is building them. But overwhelming demand for old, school quirky stuff (often more expensive than modern, more user friendly items)? Maybe, but if that's the case the guy wouldn't/shoudn't have been constantly bellyaching about nobody buying his goods and business being bad... that was the original point.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    1) Given the source, that excerpt is far less "retro grouch" than I would expect. He gets a free pass on that one, for sure.

2) Is a "roll model" something that pillsbury uses for its commercials?

3) The frames sure are pretty. And certainly satisfy any retro or luddite urge you might have. But it strikes me as a little ironic that anyone would pay such a premium for that. Oh, I know the quality is first rate, too, but I have to call law of diminishing returns there. If you got money to burn, though... sweet.

mtbr member
    I don't think the point of buying a Rivendell is to be a retro grouch or a luddite. They have a distinct take on fit. The frames are well built and finished.

People burn money all the time on frames with a 2-5 year life. What's wrong with spending the same money on something that will last 10 times as long?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I like a lot of what Grant Peterson is about - Brooks saddles, higher handlebars, bar-end shifters, steel lugged frames... But what was he smoking when he came up with the Rivendell Bleriot that is available through QBP?!?!?!? 650B wheels???????? What the heck? So 700c, 650C, and 26 inch wheels just weren't gonna work? Why would you want to buy a bike that has such limited tire selection? (I say this although I am a 29er convert - at least for 29ers there was already a large number of road rims and cyclocross tires that already existed). I have a Surly Crosscheck and I can't think of any reason whatsoever that it could be improved by going to smaller wheels.

jl
    climb
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29
    I like a lot of what Grant Peterson is about - Brooks saddles, higher handlebars, bar-end shifters, steel lugged frames... But what was he smoking when he came up with the Rivendell Bleriot that is available through QBP?!?!?!? 650B wheels???????? What the heck? So 700c, 650C, and 26 inch wheels just weren't gonna work? Why would you want to buy a bike that has such limited tire selection? (I say this although I am a 29er convert - at least for 29ers there was already a large number of road rims and cyclocross tires that already existed). I have a Surly Crosscheck and I can't think of any reason whatsoever that it could be improved by going to smaller wheels.
    Isn't America great. Who else in the world would be crazy enough to resurrect an 'old' standard. I hope Grant is overly successful! I'll never buy a Bleriot, but my 'shorter-better-half' might have a different opinion .
    We don't need more to be thankful for; we just need to be more thankful.

mtbr member

650b

Seemed nutty to me to, but according to Grant, there is still a large(ish) 650B market in Europe. Rivendell seems committed to sourcing rims and tires for their US customers.

That's one thing I like about Rivendell, they might do some oddball things, but they do the leg work to get them done.

Art is Resistance
    grant's bikes are his religion, and he is always on the pulpit preaching. I know people that know him well, and this has always been the case. Sometimes he's right, but like most religious fanatics, he can't look at an issue objectively, or see merit in something different from what he does.

mtbr member
    Fanatic, maybe. But just taking the 650B thing as an example, how can you claim he is unwilling to do different things?

Art is Resistance
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterBreath
    Fanatic, maybe. But just taking the 650B thing as an example, how can you claim he is unwilling to do different things?

He's willing to do things based on his perspective of reality, without considering other perspectives. Freewheels instead of cassettes? His geometry? Sure, it works for some people, but definitely not all of them.

mtbr member
    Well, you can buy ONE freewheel wheelset from Rivendell and about a half dozen cassette wheelsets.

Some builders will build whatever a customer dreams up, but Grant is far from the only one with an opinion about what will work and what he wants to design.

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterBreath
    Seemed nutty to me to, but according to Grant, there is still a large(ish) 650B market in Europe. Rivendell seems committed to sourcing rims and tires for their US customers.

That's one thing I like about Rivendell, they might do some oddball things, but they do the leg work to get them done.

Again (abreviated) from the catalogue...

Last year we introduced the Saluke, a bike made for this wheel size (650B), and that oblicated us to support it, which we'll do from now on forever.

I just find Grant Peterson to be passionate about his beliefs, as are most custom builders. And I appreciate reading his comments on stuff and things.

Am I going to buy a 650 bike?
    No.

Is the world a better place since Rivendell has decided to build and support this type of bike?
    I believe that it is.
    The one thing that I like most about cycling is all the different ways to get the same thing done.

8speed, 9 speed, SingleSpeed, Steel, Aluminum, Ti, Rigid, FS..... Whatever. At the end of the day, I can appreciate almost any bike. Some times it may not make sense to me, but if it makes sense to the rider..... then who am I to say?

Here we argue over the concept of a 650B bike, deemed old and antiquated. And we are argueing about it in the SingleSpeed forum. I find this to be quite ironic and humorous.

Have a good night all.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

Members who have read this thread: 0