I like'em birds. (Vulture content)- Mtbr.com
    King Pin

Good job! I like'em birds. (Vulture content)

Finally got a good ride in on the BBBB Vulture today! Finally.....

I like that there big burly frame. Wade did a good job on this one! Stable/comfortable/wonderful whilst climbing and descending. No noises/creaks or such from the pinch bolted bottom bracket region. Stiff.

My only complaint? The necessity to run them damn disc brakes.....Avid BB-7's in this case. Sqweeely sucka's right outa the box. Good modulation, but not one bit better modulation nor braking power over my XTR or Avid V's. Disc brakes suck.

Swapped out the Midge's for some good ol' fashioned Easton CF DH bars when I got home.....the nice rigid colour-matched fork Mattman put on there works very well, but it's just too short for the drop bars. Thank goodness I put stock in plenty of Thomson stems....swapped out stems/bars on four bikes today!
    Last edited by xrmattaz; 08-08-2005 at 01:42 PM. Reason: I'm a dumbbazz

dirty hippy mountainbiker
    The avid pads suck. Try another brand.

The thing is that they squeal more when they're not adjusted right. So maybe if you got rid of the squeal you'd notice a biger improvement over Vs.

I find that if I dial the stationary pad really close to the rotor then the rotor doesn't bend much and everything is quite quiet and super stoppy.

-M
    Mike Henderson, Dirty Hippy Mountain Biker and part owner of Jet Lites.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfy
    ...I find that if I dial the stationary pad really close to the rotor then the rotor doesn't bend much and everything is quite quiet and super stoppy.

-M
    Agreed. The more the rotor flexes the more likely the brake will howl.

They can also be noisy while they are bedding in. I tend to run them with some drag for the first ride/bad in process.

I would not bother swapping pads yet.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

King Pin

Bonking ... not feelin' well

I'd imagine you're correct. Problem I'm having is getting the pads to have enough clearance. The "outside" pads rub the disc just a bit (front and rear), even though they are dialed all the way out, and moved as far to the left as I can on the mounts. So's....I'd imagine the rotor is "bending" to the inside too much. I really do have 'em moved as far left as I can, or so I think.

They were quite quiet during the first half of today's two hour ride, no moisture or dust to speak of, and I didn't touch 'em or anything....then they started to squeal a bit.

Discs still suck. Vultures don't suck.

The avid pads suck. Try another brand.

The thing is that they squeal more when they're not adjusted right. So maybe if you got rid of the squeal you'd notice a biger improvement over Vs.

I find that if I dial the stationary pad really close to the rotor then the rotor doesn't bend much and everything is quite quiet and super stoppy.

-M

King Pin

... and if we just ...

Perhaps these particular Avid brakes are still going to "bed in" more! They only have a few miles on 'em, and are less howly than when I first bolted 'em up.

Disc brakes are funny, first the front one made noise...then became quiet. The rear was noisy first half of todays ride...then silence. Front started squealin' a bit just before rides end. Hmmmmm......maybe discs don't suck "too" much.

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Agreed. The more the rotor flexes the more likely the brake will howl.

They can also be noisy while they are bedding in. I tend to run them with some drag for the first ride/bad in process.

I would not bother swapping pads yet.

Also try the rotor allignment. Get the pads spaced right and then loosed the caliper mounting bolts. Squeeze the lever. Tighten bolts.

So, to recap: Loosen, squeeze, and tighten. Or do what I do. When the brakes are too noisy DON'T USE 'EM!

-M

Steamroller

Uuum nope...Try Avid's method

Also try the rotor allignment. Get the pads spaced right and then loosed the caliper mounting bolts. Squeeze the lever. Tighten bolts.

So, to recap: Loosen, squeeze, and tighten. Or do what I do. When the brakes are too noisy DON'T USE 'EM!

-M
    I tried the loosen squeeze tighten way, it works sometimes. The I got smart and looked at the directions, Avid's way works better. They say turn both dials a couple times each way to make sure they are loosened up then adjust the inboard pad about 2/3 in and the outboard about 1/3 in, or so that if looked at you straight along the rotor path you see quite a bit more of the inner pad showing, leave enough room for the disc to fit in between. With the adjusting bolts on the caliper loose put the wheel in straight and tight then dial in the pads till it imobilizes the wheel and the actuating lever. Now tighten the the bolts and then dial back the dials on each side until you don't rub and can see daylight between the pads and disc on each side. when you pull the lever there should be very little deflection of the rotor towards the inboard side. If you want a bit more play leave more space on the outboard side. I should have sent you a set of the instructions, it explains all this more clearly than I can.

I have set up several sets this way now and so far none have made any significant noise....they do stop much better after a few miles riding. I did have trouble with a new set this week though, the disc was hitting the top of the inside of the caliper....it turns out whoever put the caliper on the mount at Avid, put it on backwards. It only took me 20 minutes to figure out the problem
    Last edited by Mattman; 08-09-2005 at 01:16 AM.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

paintbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattman
    I tried the loosen squeeze tighten way, it works sometimes. The I got smart and looked at the directions, Avid's way works better. They say turn both dials a couple times each way to make sure they are loosened up then adjust the inboard pad about 2/3 in and the outboard about 1/3 in, or so that if looked at you straight along the rotor path you see quite a bit more of the inner pad showing, leave enough room for the disc to fit in between. With the adjusting bolts on the caliper loose put the wheel in straight and tight then dial in the pads till it imobilizes the wheel and the actuating lever. Now tighten the the bolts and then dial back the dials on each side until you don't rub and can see daylight between the pads and disc on each side. when you pull the lever there should be very little deflection of the rotor towards the inboard side. If you want a bit more play leave more space on the outboard side. I should have sent you a set of the instructions, it explains all this more clearly than I can.
    What Ginger hears: "Or you could just run Vs."

When the going gets weird its bedtime.

Steamroller

Vs are not an option this time

Quote Originally Posted by wooglin
    What Ginger hears: "Or you could just run Vs."

Matt's Vulture is disc only so, he's stuck with discs. I'm confident that he'll get them working sweet..........he may even like them

Matt, here the link to Avids site, you can download or print the PDF file instructions complete with pictures if you want. http://www.sram.com/en/avid/discbrak...llbearing7.php
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

Wait untill Derrick starts calling you every day to tell you how great the welds look, or what cool features Wade put on it. Or how nice the paint turned out. And then how the snowstorm is going to make the delivery take an extra week! I feel for you. But I'd hate to be that dude who's getting a Jones and the bastard sent him portraits of it. WTF! Guy must be crapping bricks.

-M

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'm anxiously awaiting the completion of my Vulture.

The minutes seem like hours. The hours seem like days. The days like weeks. The weeks like years.

It's freakin' torture...but worth it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Wait untill Derrick starts calling you every day to tell you how great the welds look, or what cool features Wade put on it. Or how nice the paint turned out. And then how the snowstorm is going to make the delivery take an extra week! I feel for you. But I'd hate to be that dude who's getting a Jones and the bastard sent him portraits of it. WTF! Guy must be crapping bricks.

-M
    I don't even want to think about that....I'm ready to burst......

Right now mine is in the "planning" stage. Wade's drawing it up and selecting the tubing, etc. This is complete torture......

paintbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattman
    he may even like them
    Shocking. Just shocking.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

mtbr member

It's worth the wait

Quote Originally Posted by New2SS
    I don't even want to think about that....I'm ready to burst......This is complete torture......
    Ain't it pretty......it rides like a dream. My Blur cracked this summer so the Vulture's been my only ride for a few weeks now - I could not be happier!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesterrider
    Ain't it pretty......it rides like a dream. My Blur cracked this summer so the Vulture's been my only ride for a few weeks now - I could not be happier!
    Pretty doesn't even begin to describe your ride.....I'm so envious!!!

I really don't know how I'm going to make it the next few weeks. I've got all the parts for the bike just sitting in the house.......waiting.

I love the paint job!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesterrider
    Pretty doesn't even begin to describe your ride.....I'm so envious!!!

I really don't know how I'm going to make it the next few weeks. I've got all the parts for the bike just sitting in the house.......waiting.

I love the paint job!!!