I know I shouldn't post this here but...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

I know I shouldn't post this here but...

I'm in the process of converting my old Miele (or is that Miyata) roadie into an ss. I removed the freehub and redished the wheel. I also have to respace the axle. Eyeballing it, the hub looks just about right but here is my dilemna. I bought a 16T freewheel today and threaded it onto the hub. There is about 1/4" -1/2" overhang as the freehub threads are not as wide as the freewheel. Am I FUBAR or can I just redish the wheel and respace the axle so that the freewheel doesn't hit the drops? Or do I need to just get a new wheel? I was gonna go fixed, but that scared me. We'll hafta see how this goes. I'm looking at going 42:16 btw. Thanks for reading!

James
    A good friend will come bail you out of jail.
    But a true friend will be sitting next to you saying
    "Damn... we fcuked up!"

there is no spoon
    Good problem. Someone out there can help.

Just wanted to say "don't fear the fixie."

Quote Originally Posted by PROGRE-SS
    I'm in the process of converting my old Miele (or is that Miyata) roadie into an ss. I removed the freehub and redished the wheel. I also have to respace the axle. Eyeballing it, the hub looks just about right but here is my dilemna. I bought a 16T freewheel today and threaded it onto the hub. There is about 1/4" -1/2" overhang as the freehub threads are not as wide as the freewheel. Am I FUBAR or can I just redish the wheel and respace the axle so that the freewheel doesn't hit the drops? Or do I need to just get a new wheel? I was gonna go fixed, but that scared me. We'll hafta see how this goes. I'm looking at going 42:16 btw. Thanks for reading!

James
    Don't worship the pain.

paintbucket

What's with the freewheel?

Freehub = spacers and a cog....
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

Its too warm here....

Well...

Typically respacing and redishing the rear wheel provides enough axle space that the FW doesn't hit the frame. I would upload a pic of mine, but I don't have it anymore.

Check out my auction on ebay and look at the pictures of the rear wheel. I did exactly the same thing and it worked out nicely. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=7298

FWIW, don't give up on fixed though, its great!

-Pedro
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick." T.R. Roosevelt

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

It will work

I had a 14 mm spacer on the drive side and a 4 mm spacer on the non-drive side of the axle on my mid-80s Bridgestone road bike. I switched those side to side, redished the wheel and put on a bmx freewheel. This gave me a good chain line and the freewheel has good clearance. As long as your freewheel bottoms on the hub I wouldn't worry about the disparate thread lengths. This hub arrangement is not as strong as a freehub type, but at the price, it works for me. I'm pretty sure I run a 42/16, for what that is worth.

try driving your car less

should be fine.

James
    I did this once and it was fine. My rationale on the threads was that before the BMX freewheel, there was an even bigger one with the all the cogs on it, so it should be fine. Just grease the threads. When redishing, make sure that the spokes that you lengthen still have like at least 2 or three threads in the nip. I didnt and on one ride a bunch of spokes just ripped out of the nips because I had like half a thread in there! Ended up having to buy to spokes and nips!
    In any case, you will be fine. Just set it up and ride it around the block first real easy. Then find a hill and mash the pedals as hard as you can. If it works you are golden.and i am also a little scared to go fixed on the road. maybe later this summer...
    Only boring people get bored.

Retro Grouch

We the people ... education for zipperhead..

Quote Originally Posted by wooglin
    Before there were freehubs here were multi-gear freewheels. They looked like modern cassettes but screwed on like a freewheel. The hub progre-ss has is one of those hubs which has a narrower thread area for the freewheel. A BMX freewheel will thread on but the hub does not engage all of the BMX threads.

I too recommend a fixed gear; its more of a hoot.

1G1G, Brad

paintbucket
    I'm well aware of that. I've got about 20 of the damn things around, including two still on bikes. I was referring to this in the original post, which made it unclear as to what kind of hub PROGRE-SS was dealing with:

I'm in the process of converting my old Miele (or is that Miyata) roadie into an ss. I removed the freehub and redished the wheel.
    But it sounds like he's got everything well in hand, so its a moot point now anyhow.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

hispanic mechanic
    I was gonna go fixed, but that scared me. We'll hafta see how this goes.

James
    once again, don't be so escared of riding fixed. find yourself a nice, empty, flat parking lot, and just tool around a bit to get used to it. practice slowing and stopping without using your brake.
    that's another thing; many people who ride fixies look down their noses at using a front brake. well, i say that if you're in a hilly area, or are just new to it, use a front brake.
    there's no shame in it.

the los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

Retro Grouch

Bonking ... not feelin' well Ya know your right...

I'm well aware of that. I've got about 20 of the damn things around, including two still on bikes. I was referring to this in the original post, which made it unclear as to what kind of hub PROGRE-SS was dealing with:

But it sounds like he's got everything well in hand, so its a moot point now anyhow.
    ..he did say "freehub"; my mistake. I have just tried the same thing so I knew what he was talking about.The key word there is "tried" because I could never get the chain line right. Anyway my bad. Hope you find something constructive to do with your old freewheels

1G1G, Brad

there is no spoon
    Right on about the front brake. I love my front brake. Would not ride without it.

Quote Originally Posted by sslos
    once again, don't be so escared of riding fixed. find yourself a nice, empty, flat parking lot, and just tool around a bit to get used to it. practice slowing and stopping without using your brake.
    that's another thing; many people who ride fixies look down their noses at using a front brake. well, i say that if you're in a hilly area, or are just new to it, use a front brake.
    there's no shame in it.

the los
    Don't worship the pain.

mtbr member

Yees, you both are right

Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    ..he did say "freehub"; my mistake. I have just tried the same thing so I knew what he was talking about.The key word there is "tried" because I could never get the chain line right. Anyway my bad. Hope you find something constructive to do with your old freewheels

1G1G, Brad
    Sorry, meant to write freewheel. A la older Suntour. Dind't know I would cause such a commotion.

James
    A good friend will come bail you out of jail.
    But a true friend will be sitting next to you saying
    "Damn... we fcuked up!"