mtbr member
    Jul 2007

i just want to complain

i just want to complain about riding my singlespeed around my campus (which is hilly) my legs are dead it hurts just sitting

n3rd

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by eastbxc
    i just want to complain about riding my singlespeed around my campus (which is hilly) my legs are dead it hurts just sitting
    What gear ratio are you running? You might want to go to a bigger sprocket or smaller chainring, if possible.

ECB

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    Maybe you can find some sucker to push you around in a wheelchair. That'll be a lot easier .
    "The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

gloves

search the singlespeed threads for "which gloves are best for singlespeeding?" in there you will find all of the answers you are looking for. ok, sorry. just stick with it - it'll get easier. if it dosen't get easier, you'll be more satisfied with your effort anyway.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by neanderthaler
    search the singlespeed threads for "which gloves are best for singlespeeding?" in there you will find all of the answers you are looking for. ok, sorry. just stick with it - it'll get easier. if it dosen't get easier, you'll be more satisfied with your effort anyway.
    i said my legs hurt

mtbr member
    i said my legs hurt
    LOL! I think he was kidding about the glove thing.

What gears are you running man? Maybe you should gear down a little as a previous poster recommended. At least until you've conditioned your legs a bit. The other day while training jiu-jitsu my coach had us do 500 hindu squats, talk about not being able to sit down.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Does your face hurt?...

I heart that achey-breakey feeling in my muscles. Going to a lower gear would be the WRONG thing to do. Yearn for the burn!

Someone has sore legs and everyone tells him to gear down...unreal. Since when was riding a singlespeed supposed to be easy?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by >>ECB<<
    What gear ratio are you running? You might want to go to a bigger sprocket or smaller chainring, if possible.

ECB
    i am afraid if i go much smaller i will only spin out down hill

banned
    Fair enough, but...how long are your downhill sections? Any sane-sized "singlespeed" gear is going to spin out pretty quickly on a long downhill.

ECB

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Fair enough, but...how long are your downhill sections? Any sane-sized "singlespeed" gear is going to spin out pretty quickly on a long downhill.

ECB
    well one of my routes is 2 miles there all up hill and i am dead after that, then its the same route back

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    i think i am just going to buy some icey hot and call it good

Mischievous Badger
    Eat some protein, stretch your legs; they'll get stronger and less susceptible to being sore the next time. Pretty soon you'll be posting threads that complain that SSing isn't challenging anymore!

n3rd
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Does your face hurt?...

I heart that achey-breakey feeling in my muscles. Going to a lower gear would be the WRONG thing to do. Yearn for the burn!

Someone has sore legs and everyone tells him to gear down...unreal. Since when was riding a singlespeed supposed to be easy?
    Well I wouldn't gear down.. but I also wouldn't make a post about my legs hurting on a SS. As you stated.. kinda an expected outcome.

ECB
    We're supposed to pedal down hill?

mtbr member
    what gearing do you have on there? Telling the guy to gear down isn't a bad thing. Thinking that your not going to spin out on a SS going down the 2 mile hill that you just climbed is a bad thing though. These hills must not be too much of a grade if you're worried about pedaling down them. If that's the case, suck it up cupcake! You don't get strong by avoiding muscle soreness. But seriously, what is your gearing?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    i am runnning 32 16 on 26in wheels

mtbr member
    i am runnning 32 16 on 26in wheels
    you could bump up to 18 on the rear but that's some decent spinning out on the flats. 32/16 is low for road so your legs should get used to it. I'm running 32/20 (not on purpose) and that's too low even for alot of the offroad I do. I'm waiting for my 36t chainring to arrive which will still be low but I like to use the bike for lots of different stuff so it should work for me.

Welsh Dave
    Jul 2005
    [cough]

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Get rid of the singlespeed. That is how they work--hard to pedal up long steep hills and spin out going down them.

Get a gearie if that is not acceptable to you.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Where are You ?
    Mar 2007
    shiggy....why even respond to this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by SoCaliking
    shiggy....why even respond to this thread?
    Why did you even reply to my reply?

The guy is whining about how his bike is performing/hurting his legs and refusing to make the suggested gearing changes.

If his complaints are real issues for him he is using the wrong tool for the job! Plain and simple.
    mtbtires.com

Where are You ?
    Mar 2007
    ok man

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    When I build up SS bikes for urban riders the virgin gearing is usually a 42:16 or 42:18 (63- 69 gear inches) and off road gearings tend to be around a 32:16 (52 gear inches) or it's equivalent.

The 32:16 is pretty light gear and the pain could be stemming from an improper set up... saddle height and position is really important and a bar position that is too low makes climbing on an ss harder too.

Once the set up is right then it's a matter of putting in those miles to build up those legs... I commute on a fixed gear mb running a 38:14 (70 gear inches) and a fixed gear road bike that runs a 42:14 (81 gear inches) and ride 9 miles there and 16 miles back since I often take a longer and more scenic route home.
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Why did you even reply to my reply?

The guy is whining about how his bike is performing/hurting his legs and refusing to make the suggested gearing changes.

If his complaints are real issues for him he is using the wrong tool for the job! Plain and simple.
    actually i dont have the wrong tool for the job....the whole reason i am riding a single speed is because the bike is going to have to be out side in the elements 365 24 7 and i cant have some derailer screwing up on me when i have to use the bike everyday

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
    The 32:16 is pretty light gear and the pain could be stemming from an improper set up... saddle height and position is really important and a bar position that is too low makes climbing on an ss harder too..
    come on....i am pretty sure i have the seat at the proper height

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    You wanted advice so I was giving some that I thought might help...

How do I know if your seat height is correct or that it's in the right position ? Both are important and I might even say, critical.

A few cm can make a world of difference between efficiency and comfort and inefficiency and suffering.

Again... that 32:16 is a pretty low gear so shouldn't be stressing out your legs too much unless you're riding in a bad position.
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

actually i dont have the wrong tool for the job....the whole reason i am riding a single speed is because the bike is going to have to be out side in the elements 365 24 7 and i cant have some derailer screwing up on me when i have to use the bike everyday
    No. If you are complaining it is too hard to ride up the hills and will not change anything because you may spin out going down hills it is the wrong tool for the job.

There are other ways than derailleurs to have gears.
    mtbtires.com

n3rd
    What's the big deal about spinning out going down hill? You're not in a race.. Just cruise.. enjoy the ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cartecs3
    What's the big deal about spinning out going down hill? You're not in a race.. Just cruise.. enjoy the ride.
    to put it in talladega nights quote......."i wanna go fast" by ricky bobby

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    There are other ways than derailleurs to have gears.
    how? i am curious

how? i am curious
    *sigh* Do your own research
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    *sigh* Do your own research
    so...what your saying is....you need a derailer to shift gears?....and i was right?...just curious

n3rd
    SS =/= fast. Unless you like walking hills thanks to that 53x11 gear you got. 'Course you should probably like walking hills anyway cause eventually you'll find one any gear is too big for.

Nat
    mtbr member
    so...what your saying is....you need a derailer to shift gears?....and i was right?...just curious
    Nahhh, people on this board have manual shift dinglespeeds and 2x1's.

n3rd
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

I live to bike
    how? i am curious
    Please tell me that your profile is a lie...you say you work at a bike shop and you don't know how to run gears on your singlespeed???!!!

I'll give you a hint for one solution...there is a component manufacturer by the name of Shimano ("component manufacturer" is fancy speak for "bike parts maker") that makes something called Nexus. I'll let you research what that is.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Nahhh, people on this board have manual shift dinglespeeds and 2x1's.
    if anyone has a picture of that....i would love to see that....it sounds very unique

mmmm...no. You are wrong, Bucko. Completely.

I can not say what I am thinking right now. Not alowed under the posting guidelines.
    mtbtires.com

Too narrow a search
    mtbtires.com

n3rd
    Too narrow a search
    He can work it from there..

Or I can provide additional google searching consulting for a low rate of $99.95/hr*.

*Results not guaranteed, terms and conditions subject to change without notice, $400 startup fee required. This offer void in California, Texas, and New Jersey. No animals are harmed during search procedures. 5% fat free. Kosher. USDA Certified.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    mmmm...no. You are wrong, Bucko. Completely.

I can not say what I am thinking right now. Not alowed under the posting guidelines.
    all i was saying is you cant say there are ways of shifting gears without a derailer then when i ask how you cant say just look it up yourself because that doesnt say your right

all i was saying is you cant say there are ways of shifting gears without a derailer then when i ask how you cant say just look it up yourself because that doesnt say your right
    Would you care to rewrite that into a coherent statement?

I am sorry you are unable to comprehend the concepts expressed in this thread.
    mtbtires.com

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Shiggy is right...

Derailleur gears are a rather new invention relative to how long we've been cycling and people were changing gears long before they were invented.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

I am sorry you are unable to comprehend the concepts expressed in this thread.
    okay...i will step down before your ego takes over this thread

mtbr member
    i said my legs hurt
    Yup, pain is weakness leaving your body.

On a serious note: check out internal geared hubs, you have various choices of gearing.
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/internal-gears.html

mtbr member
    It's expensive but one example of a "geared" singlespeed is the White Industries DosEno cranks and freewheel.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Let me help:

All I was saying is [that] you cant say "there are ways of shifting gears without a derailer", [and] then when i ask how (deleted useless words here) say "just look it up yourself" because that doesn't say your right.

eastbxc: Noboby here is a stickler about punctuation, but in a complex, convoluted sentence like that you need to give the reader some help (commas, quotes, etc.).

Edit: OOPS, I forgot a comma, and put in an unneeded one. Here it goes again:

All I was saying is that you cant say "there are ways of shifting gears without a derailer" and then when I ask how say "just look it up yourself", because that doesn't say your right.
    Last edited by kapusta; 08-27-2007 at 06:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Wheres a popcorn eating smilie when you need it?

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Welcome to the reality of ss. If you are dealing with hills then you are either in pain going up, or spinning out going down (at least until you become strong enough to push the bigger gear up)

Sorry about the wave of crap you are getting in this thread, I wish I knew more about gearing alternatives that stand up to the elements better than a dérailleur. I don't know why it is suddenly such a bad thing to ask about. Heck, 95% of the questions asked on MTBR could be at least partially answered with a search.

On the other hand, you are not being very receptive to helpful suggestion (lower gearing, checking saddle height) so you are sort of asking for it.

About the dérailleur option: If you are worried about the effects of the weather on the drivetraim, I would not be too concerned about the rear derailleur. When I have looked at bikes that have been left outside too much, it is the chain that gets f'ed up first (rust). Keeping the chain well lubed will keep most shifting problems at bay, and it's something you would be doing with a ss anyway. I'm not saying the rear derailleur does not need attention now and then, but I don't think your situation is one that will be particularly harsh on it, especially if it is used for the road. My road bike has seen plenty of rain over the past 4 years, both on rides and on the back of my car for months at a time, and I am just now thinking of changing the cables and housing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    He titled the thread "I just want to complain." He knew he was complaining.

I don't know that he was even looking for suggestions more than just looking for camaraderie with fellow single-speeders.

Meaning Shiggy and all you other guys who gave him a hard time, he emulates you.

Biking is fun. Don't ruin it.

mtbr member
    Here's the best 'solution" of all> You,re on' a college-campus...find: some friend'ly college women; to rub/the sore spots.?

*added extra punctuation to make sure I didn't mess anything up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Get faster/stronger legs.

mtbr member
    Flip flop hub in the back; two chainrings up front. Make sure the total tooth count is the same, for example 46/14 and 38/22, and then you won't have to adjust the brake position because the chain length will be the same. When you get to the climb, flip the hub and manually put the chain on the smaller ring. Just like they did in the Tour de France 100 years ago.

I am the owl
    Question for the original poster:
    Are you riding this off road? Because from your previous post I'm guessing you are not. And if you aren't, 32x16 on 26" is pretty low for riding the street no matter what the hills. My guess is you need to ride more and get stronger if you want to stick with the SS thing. Especially if you "wanna go fast" as you put it. Single speeding isn't for everybody, so if it doesn't work for you then go back to the multi-speed.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    cxx
    Last edited by eastbxc; 08-27-2007 at 04:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddlr40
    Flip flop hub in the back; two chainrings up front. Make sure the total tooth count is the same, for example 46/14 and 38/22, and then you won't have to adjust the brake position because the chain length will be the same. When you get to the climb, flip the hub and manually put the chain on the smaller ring. Just like they did in the Tour de France 100 years ago.
    that setup would be sweet....to do this would you have to have horizontal drops?

Mischievous Badger
    that setup would be sweet....to do this would you have to have horizontal drops?
    I bet you could get away with it using a tensioner. It would probably be even more of a hassle adjusting the tensioner every time though too.

So are your frickin legs still sore or what?

mtbr member
    If you can get proper chain tension with one gear combo in verticals, it will be fine with the other. If you're running 32/16 now, you could try 34/22 with a 42/14.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwiffle
    Please tell me that your profile is a lie...you say you work at a bike shop and you don't know how to run gears on your singlespeed???!!!

I'll give you a hint for one solution...there is a component manufacturer by the name of Shimano ("component manufacturer" is fancy speak for "bike parts maker") that makes something called Nexus. I'll let you research what that is.

yeah i know what that is my whole problem is i dont want to use anything like a nexus or a rolf internal shifting hub....for two reasons 1. cost 2. this bike is going to be outside all the time i dont want rain, mud or snow get into it.....the whole reason of having this bike is to be the closest to being maintance free

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Tizzle
    He titled the thread "I just want to complain." He knew he was complaining.

I don't know that he was even looking for suggestions more than just looking for camaraderie with fellow single-speeders.

Meaning Shiggy and all you other guys who gave him a hard time, he emulates you.

Biking is fun. Don't ruin it.
    everyone should read this post by tizzle this is what i was going for

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ygrene
    I bet you could get away with it using a tensioner. It would probably be even more of a hassle adjusting the tensioner every time though too.

So are your frickin legs still sore or what?

lol no a little icey hot and a weekend was a nice recovery

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by riderx
    Question for the original poster:
    Are you riding this off road? Because from your previous post I'm guessing you are not. And if you aren't, 32x16 on 26" is pretty low for riding the street no matter what the hills. My guess is you need to ride more and get stronger if you want to stick with the SS thing. Especially if you "wanna go fast" as you put it. Single speeding isn't for everybody, so if it doesn't work for you then go back to the multi-speed.
    i am riding on road and off road....and going back to multi-speed is out of the question....i have a geared bike and i have more fun riding the single speed

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    tumdadum... more riding, more pain, even more riding, less pain.... Learn to live with it..

Moonite
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddlr40
    While you're at it, hunt & kill your own meals, drink from a creek, have surgery w/ no anasthesia, live in a tee-pee, crap in an outhouse.

Worst thread evAR.

SS == dumbest idea evAR.

I am the owl
    Quote Originally Posted by jo8243
    SS == dumbest idea evAR.
    Nice spelling.

Oh yeah, might want to change your profile unless you've got gears on that BMX bike...
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    SS == dumbest idea evAR.

That's why I ride fixed gear bikes although there's one SS in the works that should be ready for spring.

mtbr member
    School just started. Give it some time and you will be flying over that hill leaving everybody in your wake. Worst thing that could happen is that you will get stronger and faster.
    SingletrackMind

Nervous Descender
    Somewhere around 65 gear inches should be a good all-purpose urban gear. I run 71 gear inches on my fixie and its good for just about every paved climb in my area.
    Check out some of our local hills: CDRC (Capital District Road Climbs)

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I run 81 and 76 gear inches on my fixed road bikes, 70 gear inches on my fixed mtb, and 70 and 66 on my fixed tourer with the flip flop.

Sometimes I think I'd like to run a taller gear and rqrely do I think I need to gear down... the fixed mtb is a commuter and not set up for anything more than that and the MUTS.

Members who have read this thread: 0