Kicker of Elves

I was just riding along

Sorry if this belongs in the tire section but I wanted to see what you guys think here where I hang out most of the time.

So I was just riding along this downhill single track section about 20 mph when I went over this tiny bump that made my bike go in the air a little bit. When it landed I heard a loud pop.

Seriously though it was a pretty good little accidental jump. Here is the hill with the bike for reference:

Being new to tubeless I'm not sure what to think. Here are the knowns and unknowns:

Rim: DT SWISS X470
    Tire: Maxxis Ignitor folding
    PSI: 35

PSI could be incorrect? Will check gauge for accuracy when I get back home. Could excessive PSI contribute to this?

Tire / rim incompatible? I researched both individually and found both were adaptable to tubeless but have not dug deep enough to see if this exact combination has been tested yet.

Does this just happen sometimes? Maybe akin to a pinch flat?

I typically don't use my bike to get air or anything crazy. It was just a matter of going fast and accidentally doing it...

Not sure what to think about this. I really like the tubeless because of the thorns but maybe it's just not an option for me?

surly inbred
    Sounds like you weren't using singlespeed psi's.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    was it a tubeless specific tire?
    I lost a tubless front tire once in a burmed corner at a decent clip. It hurt.

Out spokin'
    I still run tubes so I can't say for sure. My roommate runs tubeless and he's had tires 'burp' twice now sending into a couple painful crashes. Both times it happened in rooty sections at speed, I think the roots messed the tire up. I don't see any roots in your photo but maybe the landing did it.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member

Is this the tire ?

Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    http://greenfishsports.com/product/3...bead-tire.html The trails looks pretty clean.
    Suicide by single speed. Work in progress.

Kicker of Elves
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient rascal
    No guys, I don't think so. I haven't seen the UST available in 29" (which is what I have). I'll look closer but I think it's just the 60 TPI folding version.

Jul 2006
    yea, i swore off tubless with regular non UST tires. I ran them for a while, but one good crash is a good reason not to anymore. And without the weight benefit of non-UST tires, tubeless for me seems kind of pointless as i don't get enough flats to worry about it.
    I used to get A LOT of pinch flats, but after spending time on my cross bike with 32c tires and 80psi riding rocky trials, i learned to be a bit lighter on the bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Same berm situation here. I was using non tubeless specific tires on UST rims...as if that's not enough....I was at lower pressures than I should've been running. Dirt...meet chest.....it hurt.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gearwhine
    Same berm situation here. I was using non tubeless specific tires on UST rims...as if that's not enough....I was at lower pressures than I should've been running. Dirt...meet chest.....it hurt.
    It does hurt...unfortunately for me, I found a tree to flying-hip-check before I found dirt. Messed me up good for a couple months, with reminder pain/numbness occasionally now.

Off the back...
    It's all the dirt on your rim interfering with the tire/rim interface.

Seriously, it could just be that the pressure was a bit high, and you landed a little hard on the front. That's the main benefit of the tubeless thing for me - low pressures and reduced chance of flatting. I don't go fast enough to worry about weight savings. Perhaps try reducing the pressure to 30 psi and see how it feels.
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkrobe
    It's all the dirt on your rim interfering with the tire/rim interface.

Seriously, it could just be that the pressure was a bit high, and you landed a little hard on the front. That's the main benefit of the tubeless thing for me - low pressures and reduced chance of flatting. I don't go fast enough to worry about weight savings. Perhaps try reducing the pressure to 30 psi and see how it feels.
    man, i couldnt even get down the trail without burping the tire at 30psi. anything less than 40 and the tire rolls off the rim in a corner.

Apr 2007
    man, i couldnt even get down the trail without burping the tire at 30psi. anything less than 40 and the tire rolls off the rim in a corner.
    You're starting to make me nervous. I converted to tubeless half way through last season, but had no burp issues to date. Haven't had any hard hits, though. I'm not too worried about the Saguaro, but the Rampage wasn't the tightest fitting on the rim.

mtbr member
    I've done the same with my Ignitors and a rigid fork. Ignitors fit a little loose on my Arch's.
    Pivot Mach429

Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by 120

Being new to tubeless I'm not sure what to think. Here are the knowns and unknowns:

Rim: DT SWISS X470
    Tire: Maxxis Ignitor folding
    PSI: 35

PSI could be incorrect? Will check gauge for accuracy when I get back home. Could excessive PSI contribute to this?

Tire / rim incompatible? I researched both individually and found both were adaptable to tubeless but have not dug deep enough to see if this exact combination has been tested yet.
    The first thing that jumps out is you are using a folding tire; Stan's recommends you use either UST or wire beads with 29er conversions. You can search through Stans <a href="http://messageboard.notubes.com/viewforum.php?f=1">message boards</a>, but at first glance I didn't find any incompatibility. I'm running 650b 2.35 Nevegal's on Stans 355 ZTR and only had one failure from a deep rut and too low air pressure. To answer your question, Stans also doesn't recommend you run none tubeless ready tires over 40lbs, so your stuck between the minimum recommended pressure for your tire and 40psi; to much air pressure and the bead will fail, to little and it won't hold on.
    Last edited by aka brad; 01-21-2011 at 08:11 PM.
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    ... one failure from a deep rut and too low air pressure.
    But... uh... I thought the ability to run uber low pressure was the hallmark of tubeless? And must use wire bead tires? Sorry, totally not sold on it.

Please run those tubeless advantages by once again. Thanks.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    You're starting to make me nervous. I converted to tubeless half way through last season, but had no burp issues to date. Haven't had any hard hits, though. I'm not too worried about the Saguaro, but the Rampage wasn't the tightest fitting on the rim.
    The only luck i had was with 26" 2.1 Kenda SB8's. I had absolute horrible luck with my nevegal 2.1 650b's, SB8 2.1 29", and 2.3" SB8 26".
    And i had REALLY horrible luck with a set of Stan's The Crows, which they claim is tubeless. 1 ride and they were trashed beyond use. Snakebites in the tires.

Retro Grouch
    The only luck i had was with 26" 2.1 Kenda SB8's. I had absolute horrible luck with my nevegal 2.1 650b's, SB8 2.1 29", and 2.3" SB8 26".
    And i had REALLY horrible luck with a set of Stan's The Crows, which they claim is tubeless. 1 ride and they were trashed beyond use. Snakebites in the tires.
    What kind of rims are you using. I am really impressed with Stan's designs (ZTR); with my 650b Nevegal's there is an audible "snap" as the bead seats in the rim. I've tried some Bontrager tires in a Sun rim and they were no where near a positive seating of the bead into the rim.
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

~Disc~Golf~
    were you running a geared tire?
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Kicker of Elves
    The first thing that jumps out is you are using a folding tire; Stan's recommends you use either UST or wire beads with 29er conversions. You can search through Stans <a href="http://messageboard.notubes.com/viewforum.php?f=1">message boards</a>, but at first glance I didn't find any incompatibility. I'm running 650b 2.35 Nevegal's on Stans 355 ZTR and only had one failure from a deep rut and too low air pressure. To answer your question, Stans also doesn't recommend you run none tubeless ready tires over 40lbs, so your stuck between the minimum recommended pressure for your tire and 40psi; to much air pressure and the bead will fail, to little and it won't hold on.
    Ahh, interesting. Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.

Jul 2006
    What kind of rims are you using. I am really impressed with Stan's designs (ZTR); with my 650b Nevegal's there is an audible "snap" as the bead seats in the rim. I've tried some Bontrager tires in a Sun rim and they were no where near a positive seating of the bead into the rim.
    weinmann something or other

mtbr member
    < Facepalm/ >
    Nobody cares...........

Members who have read this thread: 0