mtbr member

i just destroyed my second free hub...common to ss'ing?

i converted a mavic 717 rim/shimano 756 xt hub to a SS ride a while back. about 3 months ago, my freehub started slipping on climbs, i replaced it and problems went away. just started happening again. i plan to replace it, but if they start getting only 3 months of use on average, i need to a better replacement.

is the XT freehub just not set up for the torque of single speeding? whats a good replacement? money is a little tight right now, so i have to budget it in sometime down the road. in the mean time, it'll be another freehub just to get me by.

thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    The drive ring teeth may be rounded. It sounds like your pawls were slipping, and if the drive ring is shot, freehubs will keep slipping. It may be your hub, that last freehub might be fine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I've had freehub bodies go bad after a very short time on both my single speed and geared bikes. I don't think it's the singlespeeding so much as just that shimano freehubs tend to suck in general. Then, when you get sand, mud and water inside them, your doomed to have problems. The fact that they are not servicable and not sealed is Shimano's way of engineering in a direct line to your wallet. Save up some money and get yourself a singlespeed specific rear wheel (watch the net for good deals) and then use a freewheel. Others may disagree but, I've had great luck with ACS freewheels and, they are cheap as hell. You can spend alot more but, I tend to lean on the side of function and price over Bling in that area. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Use a Surly SS hub and a White Industries freewheel. Problem solved!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Chipper
    Use a Surly SS hub and a White Industries freewheel. Problem solved!
    Agreed. As soon as I'm comfortable with my gear ratio the WI Trials 18t will be on my Christmas list. And if you run the cheaper ones (I run a Shimano DX right now) you can just spin them off, then spin them back on. And if your hub bearings crap out, you can replace them without the cost of a new wheel build. The freehub on my Bianchi MUSS was a piece of crap and never worked, even new, no matter what I lubed it with.

Who turned out the lights
    I'd recommend a Profile or Hope Pro II hub. Better bearings, better designs. I'll never use another freewheel again as long as I live.

mtbr member
    How are you tensioning your chain and is it overtensioned?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Nater
    How are you tensioning your chain and is it overtensioned?
    I was wondering the same thing.
    Too much tension on a chain will prematurely wear and kill ANY bearings.

mtbr member
    no pictures, but i have a forte ss tensioner on that bike thats roughly pointing to 4 o'clock on the shy side. should i have another link in there? its soon to be upgraded w/ a dmr sts, even sooner if thats one of the reasons its failing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by laackund
    no pictures, but i have a forte ss tensioner on that bike thats roughly pointing to 4 o'clock on the shy side. should i have another link in there? its soon to be upgraded w/ a dmr sts, even sooner if thats one of the reasons its failing.
    I don't think that tensioner is stout enough to kill your FW or the bearings.
    You may just be beating the crap out of them, or they are not adjusted/maintained properly (ie: contaminated) to take the abuse.

In 15 years of geared riding, I had only broken one FW, on a DX hub.
    You can get replacements, http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...ehub+Body.aspx
    I assume this is what you are replacing??

but I think you are better off to see if you can spend a couple of bucks (okay, a lot of cash, but still worth it) and get a SS specific wheel. http://webcyclery.com/product.php?pr...cat=436&page=1

my opinion is that it WILL pay for itself in time, aggravation and cost in the long run.
    my first SS had and ENO eccentric.................you will wonder why you ever hesitated.

mtbr member
    am i mis-diagnosing the problem? if there is too much tension, and my bearings in the freehub are going prematurely, is that causing the pawls to slip? should i be looking for a hub w/ more engagement points in the pawls?

bobby: is the drive ring the star like teeth insert thats set into the hub itself that the free hub engages to? if so, i pulled off the freehub to take a look, and they dont show much if any wear. the freehub seems to fit it perfectly.

mtbr member
    i've been replacing it wth

frustration alone is already worth the purchase of whatever works. mile 4 of 17 last weekend had me about ready to throw the bike down the side of the mountain. i was forced to get off and walk most climbs after my momentum would come to a screaming halt.

it might take a couple paychecks and minimum payments on the student loans, but it would be nice to clean up the look and get functionality at the same time!
    Last edited by laackund; 09-13-2007 at 01:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    am i mis-diagnosing the problem? if there is too much tension, and my bearings in the freehub are going prematurely, is that causing the pawls to slip? should i be looking for a hub w/ more engagement points in the pawls?

bobby: is the drive ring the star like teeth insert thats set into the hub itself that the free hub engages to? if so, i pulled off the freehub to take a look, and they dont show much if any wear. the freehub seems to fit it perfectly.
    having chain tension too high will affect the bearings and the pawls, as it increases the load on each.
    from what you have shared, I doubt you have that issue.
    It does sound like you are killing freehubs at a rapid pace.
    Hard to say the cause, are you are riding a really tall gear?
    on steep rough terrain?
    are an animal and have knees that are bionic?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    frustration alone is already worth the purchase of whatever works. mile 4 of 17 last weekend had me about ready to throw the bike down the side of the mountain. i was forced to get off and walk most climbs after my momentum would come to a screaming halt.

it might take a couple paychecks and minimum payments on the student loans, but it would be nice to clean up the look and get functionality at the same time!
    ENO Eccentric...............you will wonder why you waited.
    Just remember you need to buy a FW, and a remover ($12).
    The WI are $60-80.
    Get an ACS ($15-20) to find your size, and then worry about buying the WI.

mtbr member
    ive been running 32 17, just moved out to southern california 3 weeks ago. fortuately have all to tools and a couple different FW's including 17t for the roadie, so its 1 less thing to buy this time around.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    ive been running 32 17, just moved out to southern california 3 weeks ago. fortuately have all to tools and a couple different FW's including 17t for the roadie, so its 1 less thing to buy this time around.

sounds like reason enough to drop the cash on a new wheel..............since you already have the FW!!!!

**keep telling yourself that, and one morning you will wake up and it WILL seem like the logical decision.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Chek yo uchain tension first.

I am pretty there is some rust in the freehub, it happened a lot to me recently (i am doing lots of endurance race and the weather is awfull). Just put some degreaser in (remove the little seal behind the cassette body, you should see some ball bearing), until there is no **** comming out. Let it try (use a compressor if you can). Put some heavy duty oil in (any wet lube work fine). After pus grease on the ball bearing. Put the seal back in. And you are golden.

Chek this section on park tool website (Freehub Service- Shimano® and loose ball bearing types)
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=45

Feet back and spread 'em!
    May 2004
    concerning degreaser, i recommend not. on my first real mtn bike i killed 2 freehubs in a year by over cleaning the bike with degreaser after every ride. This just washes all the lube out of the hub and probably washes in grit. Since then i have not frequently washed my bike and never with degreaser...no problems.
    the time is right for violent revolution

Members who have read this thread: 0