I hath drinketh the SS Kool-Aid...- Mtbr.com
    organically fed

I hath drinketh the SS Kool-Aid...

and it's good!

My bike is having issues with a jacked-up derailleur, so I just put it on 16/32, adjusted the screws to eliminate ghost-shifting, and hammered out an awesome SS test ride the other day.
    I was amazed at how much more I enjoyed riding in SS mode than with gears. I did my usual loop in Upper Bidwell Park and just hauled ass the entire time...way faster and more fun than ever before. It seems that riding SS makes me much more engaged and in tune with my bike, using more body english the entire time I ride and thus helping me keep in control. It was the best time I've ever had on an MTB so I totally look forward to hooking my bike up with a full-on SS conversion.

Gears cause complacency and complacency kills. Stand up and mash!

w00t!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    i feel ya... i went for a ~5 mile ride yesterday and changed between MAYBE 3 gears, but was mainly switching back and forth between 2. It was definitely way more fun mashing it up the hills and pumping and cruising back down.

I'll probably go 1x1 in the near future

mtbr member
    You think that's fun - just wait until you get a SS 29er ... you actually don't know what fun is yet! Just have a littlesip from this bottle of Kool-Aid he he he... just take out this 29er for a test ride...
    S
    "You know how they make aluminum bike frames? They take steel and suck out all the soul..."

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by garrett1478
    i feel ya... i went for a ~5 mile ride yesterday and changed between MAYBE 3 gears, but was mainly switching back and forth between 2.
    If you only use 2 gears (I used to do the same), then you can do SS. The weight difference alone will make 1 gear manageable. Personally, I found the front/back weight ratio to be much more balanced once I took all those gear parts off. In particular, the front end feels like it tracks much better, but maybe it's all in my head.

Congratulations on drinking the SS elixir!

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    I ran SS on my DirtJump/Street bike, as well as fixie on previous roadie.

I will be going SS-Vintage here in a few months based on the feelings I got from my prior SS bikes, and I wasn't even riding them all that much. Just soooo much simpler.

Members who have read this thread: 0