I guess i am just soft compared to you guys- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

I guess i am just soft compared to you guys

Hey guys

Got myself a giant xtc alliance. I have been reading your forum in silence for some time now. I am rather interested in going 1x9, and the whole ss thing has always interested me. So the other day i ss.....on a 3x9, ok i went 32 on the front and 17 on the rear for almost a 2:1. And let me tell you, IT WAS HARD . I had a really tough time trying to get up any of the hills i normally go up. I didn't make it up a few of them. So i would like to tip my hat to you guys, ss'ing is far harder then i would have expected, keep at guys

nnn
    mtbr member
    I had the same thing when I first tried SSing on my gearie during commutes. I started at some silly easy ratio but as the front derailleur and shifter dropped I changed up a few gears and eveentually went full single speed freewheel on what I would have considered a fairly high gear earlier.

It just takes time to build up low cadence maching strength and high cadence flexible strength and timing but after a few weeks you will feel like a totally new rider !
    "Life begins at 140" Richard Burns
    http://www.nikolay-k.com

mtbr member
    Totally worth it. Ditch the gears and I guarantee you'll love it. You don't really get a good feel for it with the derailleurs and everything still on. 32x17 is a pretty hard gear to start with anyways. Try a 32x20 and you should be able to rocket up just about anything you rode before.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    32 x 20 on 29er wheels here and whilst it spins out on the tarmac I find it's just about perfect for riding through singletrack and hauling up the climbs.

mtbr member
    May 2004

SS is similar to beer... an acquired taste.

don't expect to enjoy it the first ride. remember your first taste of beer? not that pleasant, but now it's very enjoyable. it took me several months before I could do all the same climbs in my SS without stopping. also, you have to commit to SS and ride nothing but SS until you've become proficient.

Apr 2007
    I have a few cogs on hand to accomodate the trail I'm going to be riding. But I mostly ride 32x20.

himom!
    Apr 2006
    I found it was a lot hard to "fake" SS than doing the real thing. I don't know why. The extra resistance of the derailleur and non-ideal chainline? Knowing I had more gears available with just a twist? I think it's mostly psychological. You HAVE to attack hills when you only have one gear instead of inching up them.

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by uncomplientspud
    And let me tell you, IT WAS HARD .
    "If it were easy, it'd be called snowboarding"

mtbr member
    What is hard is trying to ride 32/18 on a derailleur.

For some reason it feels much easier on a proper singlespeed. Just seems to all flow together, even though it is exactly the same gearing.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

V-Shaped Rut
    I did a ride with an SSer, looked like fun. I did a ride on my FS and left it in one gear for most of the ride. It was hard. I got a real SS and rode 32/20. I got in shape fast. I'm now riding 32/18 and climb a good amount. I now prefer it climbing. (see my 1x9 thread) Its just faster, more fun, more engaging and more rewarding.

808+909 = Party Good Time
    Don't be afraid to go to an easier gear and work up to it... but yes SS is awesome mainly because it is so hard. haha

mtbr member
    When I first started on my SS I didn't notice a huge difference in my cadence. I already liked sticking my bike in a high gear and mashing away. Just find a gearing you like and have fun!

local trails rider
    When the bike is a singlespeed, you have to ride it differently: hit the tough spots hard and rest when you can.

It can become really obvious on group rides. When there's an uphill coming, I want to be going as fast as possible. Everybody else seems to slow down and shift to granny gear for winching themselves up slowly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    ^^^. It is fun approaching those hills so fast. Everyone thinks you are a madman, but really you're just trying to make it easy on yourself. And it works so well that eventually it becomes easy (relatively speaking). I think people are really spoiled by FS and gears. Of course there are things that I walk, too ;-)

bf

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by beerfilter
    ^^^. It is fun approaching those hills so fast. ...
    Of course there are things that I walk, too ;-)
    Make no mistake: I am no athlete. Just an overweight 40 something guy who likes to ride. Some of the most fun spots let you pick up speed going down and then coast back up The more timid guys (and girls) take those places slowly and, of course, work much harder

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    One common mistake SS riders make is choosing a gear that allows them to climb every hill on their ride, but only allows them to go about 10mph spinning a 100+ rpm cadence on the flats. Choose a gear that will let you ride a decent speed on the flats and allow you to make 80-90% perct of the climbs. The fun is building your strength to where you start to make the hills you walked before.

On my 29er I run 32/18 and can roll along about 12-13 mph at 80-90 rpm cadence.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tomass15
    One common mistake SS riders make is choosing a gear that allows them to climb every hill on their ride, but only allows them to go about 10mph spinning a 100+ rpm cadence on the flats. On my 29er I run 32/18 and can roll along about 12-13 mph at 80-90 rpm cadence.
    +1

I was told at the LBS that I may want to go from 32x18 to 32x20 for the area around here. But I'm just getting stronger and if there are some things I can't clean, then screw it. I'll walk.

I think there are some people coming from the gear world who have stigmatized walking. If you are walking you were in the wrong gear or bad technique, etc.

bf

Members who have read this thread: 0