I got to tool around on a Pugsley this morning...- Mtbr.com
    Nat
    mtbr member

I got to tool around on a Pugsley this morning...

It rolled a bit more easily than I had pictured, but it was definitely a tank. One thing I noticed was how much effort I had to exert to turn the front wheel left and right. All that friction from the rubber on the ground made it sticky, and I was only on pavement and not soft ground. It took some effort to slow to a stop too. I don't see myself buying one of these, but I'll admit I was grinning the whole time I rode it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

That's exactly what I thought

when I first rode a mtb in 1984.

Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    It rolled a bit more easily than I had pictured, but it was definitely a tank. One thing I noticed was how much effort I had to exert to turn the front wheel left and right. All that friction from the rubber on the ground made it sticky, and I was only on pavement and not soft ground. It took some effort to slow to a stop too. I don't see myself buying one of these, but I'll admit I was grinning the whole time I rode it.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steelbike
    when I first rode a mtb in 1984.
    Har! Good one!

mtbr member
    there was a geared pugsley at the mont 24hr endurance race this last weekend. Was mostly cruising around the camp area but I saw it on a couple of laps. Fast, flowing singletrack with LOTS of deep mud. I think it was probably an advantage at some of those spots. Certainly went quickly around some of the muddy switchbacks where my couch and esky were strategically placed

- Joel
    Cycling is Serious Business.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomacropod
    there was a geared pugsley at the mont 24hr endurance race this last weekend. Was mostly cruising around the camp area but I saw it on a couple of laps. Fast, flowing singletrack with LOTS of deep mud. I think it was probably an advantage at some of those spots. Certainly went quickly around some of the muddy switchbacks where my couch and esky were strategically placed

- Joel
    I wonder how well those tires do in mud? Obviously they have flotation, but they're a semi-slick tread. Would you even want to float over mud, or cut down through it? Maybe it depends on the mud. Shiggy?

mtbr member
    well on my 2.0s on the same course I just went fast and pointed straight in anticipation. Worked OK.

- Joel
    Cycling is Serious Business.

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the heads-up!! I've been so busy I forgot all about the MONT. I'm expecting a MONT write-up soon Joel!!

I think the general comments you hear about the Pugsley go a bit like:

"Wow I really, really want one.... but I'm not sure what I'd do with it!"

I can see its strength in sand and of course snow (duh that's what it's designed for...) but it'd be interested to see how it would handle other conditions. I was kind of surprised to hear that it had been taken into the sludge!!

Cheers, Dave.

Members who have read this thread: 0