I got a Fix.- Mtbr.com

Thread: I got a Fix.

mtbr member

I got a Fix.

Got that 57cm red/white Centurian on ebay tonight. 102.50 bucks plus box/ship. SHEEUT, I paid nearly $200 for my last saddle!

Yeah, it's a roadie but I'mina put the biggest tire on that'll fit and will ride it off pavement. Now to round up some cheap pedals. I might flip and chop the bars. I'll leave the rear brake on for now.

Maybe some cool fenders for it. Oh, and I gotta learn to ride noacoasty style.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. W.C. Fields

And He was Not

More Road Content

Hope you like your fixie. I've been trying to get something cheap off E-bay for a while now. I finally got frustrated and decided to fix my spare road bike, I've never posted a Pix before so here it goes. What Cha' think?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch
    Hope you like your fixie. I've been trying to get something cheap off E-bay for a while now. I finally got frustrated and decided to fix my spare road bike, I've never posted a Pix before so here it goes. What Cha' think?
    That's a pretty nice "spare" my road bikes are almost older than I am.

Neve_r_est

Fixed Ksyrium?

Is it fixed or freewheeling? If fixed, what was your method? Welded freehub?

mtbr member
    That's a bit flashy, but I guess it'll do.

I'm on a steel and leather kick right now.

geez, there goes the cost of the bike $70 for a leather saddle, $120 for pedals, set of tires, bar tape, bell,...

No, wait, this is supposed to be a beater. Pull the pedals off the #3 MTB and find a used Brooks.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. W.C. Fields

self destructive
    saw this on rbr last night. Enoch what gear are you running on that? You will have to bring that to the shop for me to look at it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

And He was Not

Not Yet

I'm running a 42/16, still too easy to pedal but it worked without a tensioner.

It's not fixed in that picture, got a ENO in the works.

It would be cool to be able to fix those wheels but I think it would bad to permantly dissable the freehub on a set of Kssyrums SL's. It will be fixed in the next pix, that was the first time I've tried to post a pix so it was kind of a test run.

paintbucket
    I think you can take off the freehub body and replace it with a Surly Fixxer. Not sure if that'll work on a Ksyrium, but that's what the Fixxer is for.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

And He was Not

I'm interested

Quote Originally Posted by wooglin
    I think you can take off the freehub body and replace it with a Surly Fixxer. Not sure if that'll work on a Ksyrium, but that's what the Fixxer is for.
    If thisCould this be done to Ksyrium's I would be interested. i just figured you could only use those on SHim Shim wheels. Anybody Know anything?

hispanic mechanic

Nope...

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch
    If thisCould this be done to Ksyrium's I would be interested. i just figured you could only use those on SHim Shim wheels. Anybody Know anything?
    Fixxer won't work on a Mavic hub. Just Shim a no.

the los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Does anyone know if that fixxer will work on a set of Rolf Vectors? I have a cheapo commute bike that's set up as a freewheeling SS with a pair of vector comps on it that I'd love to fix

And He was Not
    Quote Originally Posted by SS4life
    Does anyone know if that fixxer will work on a set of Rolf Vectors? I have a cheapo commute bike that's set up as a freewheeling SS with a pair of vector comps on it that I'd love to fix
    That might be a loose ball set up. If it is, I think you might be able to do it with a Surly fixer.

mtbr member

The following is from the Surly website...

Quote Originally Posted by SS4life
    under the "Blog" link.

"B) And finally today, since many of you keep asking: no, the Fixxer does not work on your Spinergy, Rolf, whathaveyou "wheel system." The Fixxer replaces the freehub body on most Shimano branded hubs (Silent Clutch and most Dura Ace excepted).
    This does NOT mean merely Shimano compatible; Shimano compatible and Shimano branded mean different things. Compatible means that the spline pattern on the FH body accepts Shimano-type cassettes, and there are lots and lots of Shimano compatible hubs out there. The way the FH body itself connects to the hub shell, however, is fairly unique to each brand, and herein is the issue. Shimano branded means that the hub is made by Shimano.
    AGAIN: The Fixxer works on most SHIMANO hubs, but that's it. If you got it to work on something else, good for you, but that's your own gig and voids the warranty of the Fixxer and probably also of the wheel (maybe not a big deal, but it's worth noting). Nonetheless, if you did get it to work on something other than a Shimano hub (I know some of you have made it work) and feel like sharing, write in and let us know how you did it. [email protected].
    P.S. It's not completely accurate that the Fixxer does not fit on some of these things...in fact, BQ reminds me that the Fixxer will fit on a Spinergy hub and tug down nicely. But you can't redish the wheel, so maybe if you're using it on a 120mm spaced frame it'll work, otherwise no. I admit to ignorance on this to some degree as I have never in my life owned a 'wheel system.' I've always counted on the practicality of regular old wheels."
    Last edited by Nater; 02-17-2005 at 10:57 AM. Reason: spelling