I finally went 1x9 and I need help choosing a Chainring- Mtbr.com
    6x7=Dont Panic!

I finally went 1x9 and I need help choosing a Chainring

I know its not a SS but its a fs bike and I dont want to make it a 1x1 cause thats weird and there are the annoying issues of the chainslack with the 90mm of rear travel. Well, what I need from you all is a reccomendation for a good 4 bolt chainring for up front. I'm thinking 34t considering that I've got an 11-34 in the back. Right now I've got the crappy silver no-name 32t that came with the bike but its ramped and ugly. I assume I dont want a ramped chainring considering I dont want the chain to move ever. I dont have a guide on it yet and I hope I wont need one, but we will see. So what is a good preferably cheep chainring for a 4 bolt pattern that can last a while? Ive got a strongarm II crankset now but am planning on upgrading to some turbine lp's eventually...
    Herro prease

mtbr member

I've had good luck with Salsa

you can spend a bunch on a ss specific ring, but I've had good luck with the salsa rings. here's one at rei in 32 tooth, but I'm sure a 34 wouldn't be too hard to find, and a 20 bucks, you could buy a few different sizes to experiment.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...8000&langId=-1

I haven't ever tried 1x9, but one of my buddies tried it and kept dropping the chain, even with a good ring. A bash guard and third eye chain stop work wonders to keeping the chain on the ring.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Blackspire

Quote Originally Posted by TheRedMantra
    I know its not a SS but its a fs bike and I dont want to make it a 1x1 cause thats weird and there are the annoying issues of the chainslack with the 90mm of rear travel. Well, what I need from you all is a reccomendation for a good 4 bolt chainring for up front. I'm thinking 34t considering that I've got an 11-34 in the back. Right now I've got the crappy silver no-name 32t that came with the bike but its ramped and ugly. I assume I dont want a ramped chainring considering I dont want the chain to move ever. I dont have a guide on it yet and I hope I wont need one, but we will see. So what is a good preferably cheep chainring for a 4 bolt pattern that can last a while? Ive got a strongarm II crankset now but am planning on upgrading to some turbine lp's eventually...
    I'm using a Blackspire 32t ring I got from Webcyclery in the 4 bolt pattern. Works great. They have a lot of sizes, and I know they have a 34t because I thought about getting one. My bike is a 1x6 and the chain stays on. Blackspire rings were about $30 when I got mine.

FUD

Jan 2004

check cambria

they were blowing out some unramped and ramped raceface and real rings last time I looked.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I 2nd the Blackspire and the 34 teeth

I commute on a 1x7, basically a big hill with 1 very steep side and 1 shallow side, plus some flat riding on and off the street. 45 minutes one way. A 34 tooth combined with the 13-30 cluster works well for me. Tried a 32 teeth ring but I was spinning way too fast in high gear. No chain dropping problems.

Members who have read this thread: 0