I drank the Koolaide...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

I drank the Koolaide...

And damn it is good!

I jumped on 29er band wagon a month and a half ago and could stop thinking about going SS. I snagged a 09' Rig on closeout yesterday and took it to my local trail.

It was so fun. Just pure joy of riding. My thumbs were twitchy for the first couple of miles but settled down after that. I was really worried about being "tuff" enough for the 32x18 but it seemed to always just be there when I went to pedal but i did stall several times. I will have to put my big boy pants on when I hit a couple of those climbs but overall really excited about loosing all those gears and just riding.

Thoughts of loosing the squish fork are also crossing my mind as well.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    the kool aid is definitely good! i ride SS 29r and i'll never ride anything else. once you get some legs under you, try switching to a smaller sprocket (and/or larger chainring) to keep from spinning out so much on the flats.

Bicycle Addict
    rock on!
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

Apr 2007
    I've been riding ss for 3 yrs, and I'm at 33:20 or 22. But I'm also in the mountains with lots of steep climbs. You'll have no probs with those hills after a few rides. It's amazing what you can climb just with one gearing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I live in Utah so there is a day of reckoning coming for me.

The weather is suckish right now so the lower elevation trails is what I can hit right now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i drank it too roughly a year ago but just recently got all of the parts together to build the bike up. ive done a couple of rides on it and like it soooo much but at the same time ill be keeping my full squish 26 geared bike around just for the all out speed and versatility.

Members who have read this thread: 0